Missouri King Kong 2019

John McCarter

7th Annual International King Kong Grip Challenge

Missouri Venue

Contest Date: Saturday, October 26th, 2019

Events:

Flask One Hand Pinch Deadlift (Barrel Strength)
2.5” Crusher (FBBC)
DubHub Shallow Hub (Barrel Strength)
Little Big Horn (IronMind)

All events will be done to a crossbar.�

Contest start time: 10am

Entry fee: $10

Please confirm your attendance by August 10

Anyone is welcome to attend even the day of the contest

Just copying most of the info from the main KIng Kong page. You can find more info there. Below you can find rules for the contest.

2019 International King Kong Grip Challenge - Official Rules.docx

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

@John McCarterAre you considering having a youth division at your location this year?  I have a 6 year old daughter and IF you have a youth division, I may be able to make the 6 hour drive to your contest.  She has talked about doing a USAWA contest, but the timing of the youth division announcement came when I happened to be showing her some videos of the Shallow Hub event from another contest.  She's actually done 2" vbar (with a homemade very light 2" vbar) a few times, so the LBH won't be totally out of the question for her tiny hands.  The 2.5" Crusher is very likely too heavy, lol.  But that'll change when her hands get bigger.  She has also done a half dozen or so hub pulls with the Moneymaker Hub I have.  It's not the same as the Shallow Hub, but she is at least familiar with the type of technique involved. 

• Like 2

Yes. I plan on having the youth division.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 11:53 AM, John McCarter said:

Yes. I plan on having the youth division.

Thanks, John! Good to know. I'll work on getting some concrete plans and then entries for both of us if it's a go. Will the youngest youth girls use the exact same implements as the adults for the contest? 

On 7/29/2019 at 5:26 PM, bencrush said:

Thanks, John! Good to know. I'll work on getting some concrete plans and then entries for both of us if it's a go. Will the youngest youth girls use the exact same implements as the adults for the contest? 

Just asked Eric on the main King Kong page to see what his thoughts are regarding this question.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, brettmf1987 said:

I just saw this...I’m sorry I’m a day late can you still count me for attendance...I’ll pay double lol 

Yes you can. I'm open for people showing up and competing.

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder this is a thing happening next month.

No matter your strength in Grip Sport, come out and lift something.

If you plan on attending let me know and I'll give the address.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 12:18 AM, John McCarter said:

Yes you can. I'm open for people showing up and competing.

If this offer still stands, I'd like to take you up on it. I know I missed the signup date, but my wife just surprised me tonight by arranging a family visit (on her side) that has us meeting her family near Millersville so that I can compete in the KK while she and my daughter visit family. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bencrush said:

If this offer still stands, I'd like to take you up on it. I know I missed the signup date, but my wife just surprised me tonight by arranging a family visit (on her side) that has us meeting her family near Millersville so that I can compete in the KK while she and my daughter visit family. 

Yes, you are more than welcome to come and compete.

• Thanks 1

Any person attending. If you have a preference to a brand of chalk you use please bring it. 

I have 2 types of chalk at the moment. 1) Friction Labs, 2) Sorinex Might Mitts. Both are powder form and no blocks.

• Like 1

If anyone is wanting to compete and missed the sign up date, you are more than welcome to show up and compete the day of the event.

Just give me a heads up so I can get you the address for the contest.

• Like 1

We're about a week out.  I'm really excited about getting to try out the Flask and the LBH.  I'm a terrible pincher.  But the Flask has become the pinch standard over the past few years in the US contests.  And thanks to @Joseph SullivanI will soon have a Flask to train with after the contest. :D  I made myself a wooden flask - what I call the "wask".  ;)  Have done a half dozen workouts with it in the hope that I will not bomb out at 50lbs on this lift at the contest, lol.  Best I've pulled on the Wask is 68lbs righty.  60lbs lefty.  I am hopeful that I'll get about the same numbers at the contest on the Flask.  I've been careful to lift to a height gauge and to minimize tilt since mine is just attached with a loading clip to a small Ironmind loading pin. 

I've also done about that many workouts with my modified Shallow Hub.  Which is a Moneymaker (Clint) Hub modified with cardboard and duct tape to only allow me the same gripping depth as the Dub Hub Shallow Hub.  Have only pulled 45lbs on that.  And I can't hope for much more at the contest unless someone (who will then become my new best friend) shows me some technique pointers that take advantage of my flexible hand to compensate for my craptastic pinch strength.  I have also been careful on this to lift to a height gauge and to minimize the tilt.  It is attached with a loading clip to a small Ironmind loading pin, like with the Wask. 

I have pulled one time on an LBH (not mine), but never trained with it.  Haven't trained vertical bar in a long time, but I think (hope?) some of my old vbar strength will remain and I would be pretty pleased with a185 LBH result in the contest.  And since I know that @John McCarteris the CHALK MASTER, I have no excuse but to do my best.  :cool

I have also begun some moderate (about once every 10 days) 2" axle work again.  I think it was August when I started doing some double overhand thumbless pulls - in the style of @Kluv#0 and @AdamTGlass.  So my thinking is that it will at least give me around a 150lb-ish max on the 2.5" FBBC Crusher.  I don't tend to do well on thick rolling handles unless I train them for a long time.  Same for the axle deadlift, for that matter. 

tldr version below

MY KING KONG GOALS

FLASK - 70lbs

2.5" FBBC CRUSHER - 150lbs

SHALLOW HUB - 45lbs

LITTLE BIG HORN - 185lbs

• Like 5

Address location in first post.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

@bencrush, you will have @John McCarter to chalk for you and show you hub technique. I'd say that's a recipe for success.

The chalking is easy and I suck at the shallow hub.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 12:29 PM, bencrush said:

MY KING KONG GOALS

FLASK - 70lbs

2.5" FBBC CRUSHER - 150lbs

SHALLOW HUB - 45lbs

LITTLE BIG HORN - 185lbs

Ben, been keeping my plans private, but since you are so open, I will share my goals, sort of. I have always felt you were stronger than me on most things, and now that I have my Medicare Card, seems like my lifts are going down.

Flask. I hope to do well into the 80’s, as I was high 80s last year.

Crusher. I got 70kg last year, went for 75 and just missed. I’ll take a PR for 72.5.

Shallow Hub. I suck. Unless there is some magically seasoned implement, your number far exceeds mine.

Little Big Horn. In 2013, I pulled 154 in a contest, only time I ever touched it. Hope to get 160.

i suspect you will exceed your Flask goals, so you should finish higher than me.

• Like 1