See Spot Lift II: New Hampshire Armlifting Challenge -- August 10, 2019

SarahChappelow

Armlifting USA is coming to Concord, NH for the first time ever! Help us raise money for our furry friends at the Animal Rescue League of New Hampshire.

EVENTS: Apollon's Axle Double Overhand Deadlift, Rolling Thunder One-Arm Deadlift, Silver Bullet Hold, 3" Saxon Bar Deadlift

WEIGHT CLASSES:
Men: Lightweights Up to 176lb;
Middleweights 176 lb to 220lb;
Heavyweights 220lb plus

Women: Lightweight Up to 132lb;
Middleweight 132 lb to 176lb and
Heavyweight 176lb plus

PRIZES: A “Top Dog” trophy to each weight class winner. “Best in Show” award to most impressive overall lifter.

FORMAT OF COMPETITION: Rising Bar Max 4 Attempts

SCORING: Ties will be broken by bodyweight (less weight scores higher). Overall Scoring: Percentage based scoring will be used. For example, if 100 kg wins the Rolling Thunder, that athlete will receive 100 points. If the second-place athlete lifts 90kg, they will receive 90 points. The winner is the athlete with the most points at the end of the contest. Should two athletes tie, the athlete with the lower body weight at the time of weigh ins will place higher.

ENTRY FEE: $35 (No Refunds)

TO REGISTER: Register at http://bit.ly/seespotlift Registration will be limited to the first 25 paid registrants. Event updates will be posted to the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1155163374644788/  

ARMLIFTING USA MEMBERSHIP: Membership is strongly encouraged and is only $20 per year. Membership qualifies participants to have scores recorded on the official Armlifting USA leaderboards. Sign up at: http://www.oddehaugen.com/armlifting-usa-membership-form/

Events, order, weight classes, and rules are subject to refinement and change without notice.

See Spot Lift II is a Barbarian Economist production.

PicsArt_04-11-10.05.54.jpg

I will almost certainly be there, sounds awesome!  Does anyone know the RGC rating of the COC 3.5 for the silver bullet?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

For anyone interested, my husband and I will be hosting a pre-contest workshop this Sunday, June 30th at One-2-One Brian's Fitness in Concord, NH from 9:00 to 11:00AM. Since this will be the first Armlifting USA contest in New England, this will be a good way for aspiring grip athletes to learn about the competition format, what to expect on contest day, tips for using the implements and training grip, and to try out the implements. We will have the Rolling Thunder and Saxon Bar on hand to try, and will have S, 1, 1.5, 2, and 3 CoC grippers to use for Silver Bullet practice. Won't have the Apollon's Axle on hand for the workshop, but do have a 2" axle. No pre-registration necessary. Free for One-2-One members, $10 for everyone else to cover the day pass fee. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 5:30 PM, Vinnie said:

I will almost certainly be there, sounds awesome!  Does anyone know the RGC rating of the COC 3.5 for the silver bullet?

Hi Vinnie, Glad you are considering coming to New Hampshire for the contest!

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but the Ironmind website lists the CoC 3.5 gripper as 322.5 lbs. 

1 hour ago, SarahChappelow said:

Hi Vinnie, Glad you are considering coming to New Hampshire for the contest!

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but the Ironmind website lists the CoC 3.5 gripper as 322.5 lbs. 

Ah, that debate.  That Ironmind number is a proprietary one that Ironmind uses to compare its own grippers' average relative difficulty to each other, but each company has their own way of doing that, and also each company's grippers are not precisely equal even when they have the same model number (two COC 3.5s may not be equally difficult).  So, a few independent folks will rate any company's gripper by a common method so as to allow comparison.  It's not 100 per cent precise either, because it involves human error and grippers also change a little with use, but it is more uniform than comparing the apples and oranges of an Ironmind number to another company's number.  A good site to see relative difficulties of grippers rated independently is here:  http://gripratings.com/index.php?id=3 or here: https://cannonpowerworks.com/pages/grip-strength-ratings-data .  The reason I asked if you knew the rating is that I have had some success with silver bullet on a lower-rated COC 3.5, but have also encountered harder-rated 3.5s that I just could not get even for one second (I am working on this though and may have gotten better, so I have to try some hard ones again!).  So I was curious.  It's not that important and I am looking forward to coming either way.  Just did the Texas one on Sunday and met some great folks!

And I am NOT an expert by any means, I am regurgitating stuff I've learned here on the board.  Experts please feel free to clarify/modify/elaborate, for Sarah's and my education!

5 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Ah, that debate.  That Ironmind number is a proprietary one that Ironmind uses to compare its own grippers' average relative difficulty to each other, but each company has their own way of doing that, and also each company's grippers are not precisely equal even when they have the same model number (two COC 3.5s may not be equally difficult).  So, a few independent folks will rate any company's gripper by a common method so as to allow comparison.  It's not 100 per cent precise either, because it involves human error and grippers also change a little with use, but it is more uniform than comparing the apples and oranges of an Ironmind number to another company's number.  A good site to see relative difficulties of grippers rated independently is here:  http://gripratings.com/index.php?id=3 or here: https://cannonpowerworks.com/pages/grip-strength-ratings-data .  The reason I asked if you knew the rating is that I have had some success with silver bullet on a lower-rated COC 3.5, but have also encountered harder-rated 3.5s that I just could not get even for one second (I am working on this though and may have gotten better, so I have to try some hard ones again!).  So I was curious.  It's not that important and I am looking forward to coming either way.  Just did the Texas one on Sunday and met some great folks!

And I am NOT an expert by any means, I am regurgitating stuff I've learned here on the board.  Experts please feel free to clarify/modify/elaborate, for Sarah's and my education!

By the way, in Texas on Sunday, the comp winner got 27+ seconds on a COC 4 for the silver bullet -- missing the world record by a bit, but that's OK, because it was his record anyway lol.  What sucks the most is that he is a really nice guy, so you can't hate him for being a beast.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Oh, okay, I see what you're saying. I haven't had any of the grippers independently rated. The S, 1, and 1.5 belong to the gym/ have had more use. The 2 and 3 I bought and are pretty new. (The 3 is still in the package, haha.) Not sure if that affects thing or if grippers get harder or easier to close over time. I actually don't have a 3.5 or 4, but I will see if I can locate some to borrow. What I've told people is that if they have a 3.5 or 4, or any other number gripper not provided that they want to use, they are welcome to bring it to the contest as long as they make it available to everyone to use. 

Edited by SarahChappelow

3 hours ago, SarahChappelow said:

Oh, okay, I see what you're saying. I haven't had any of the grippers independently rated. The S, 1, and 1.5 belong to the gym/ have had more use. The 2 and 3 I bought and are pretty new. (The 3 is still in the package, haha.) Not sure if that affects thing or if grippers get harder or easier to close over time. I actually don't have a 3.5 or 4, but I will see if I can locate some to borrow. What I've told people is that if they have a 3.5 or 4, or any other number gripper not provided that they want to use, they are welcome to bring it to the contest as long as they make it available to everyone to use. 

No need to buy a 3.5 unless you just want one in your possession -- I have 3 COC 3.5s, two unrated and one with a rating from Cannon Powerworks (171), and I will be happy to bring those and share them.  All are very new.  171 is low for a 3.5 (180 being about average), but I find mine about as difficult to close on a silver bullet as a 178 I have tried and much harder than the 168 and 172 that I've tried.  Maybe this is because it is new, and they do very slowly get a little easier with use (in my opinion anyway).  I do not own a 4 -- if I get to the point that I can silver bullet even the hardest 3.5 I will get a 4 to start practicing that, but right now I am not close enough to silver bulleting even as easy 4 so it is not worth the investment yet.  Depending on who comes to the comp, you may not need a 4 at all, but probably anyone who is capable of silver bulleting a 4 also has one he could bring.

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

No need to buy a 3.5 unless you just want one in your possession -- I have 3 COC 3.5s, two unrated and one with a rating from Cannon Powerworks (171), and I will be happy to bring those and share them.  All are very new.  171 is low for a 3.5 (180 being about average), but I find mine about as difficult to close on a silver bullet as a 178 I have tried and much harder than the 168 and 172 that I've tried.  Maybe this is because it is new, and they do very slowly get a little easier with use (in my opinion anyway).  I do not own a 4 -- if I get to the point that I can silver bullet even the hardest 3.5 I will get a 4 to start practicing that, but right now I am not close enough to silver bulleting even as easy 4 so it is not worth the investment yet.  Depending on who comes to the comp, you may not need a 4 at all, but probably anyone who is capable of silver bulleting a 4 also has one he could bring.

That would be great if you could bring a 3.5 with you. Thanks so much! 

• Like 1