Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Shal9097

Weight loss and grip strength

Recommended Posts

Shal9097

I was wondering what kind of grip strength decrease people have experienced while losing weight?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AdamTGlass

In 2013 I cut from 230 to 180. I stayed under 190 for 5 years. 

I accomplished my weight drop primarily with nutrition and a shift to body weights training. The first year my max strength stayed pretty close to my 225 lb levels. By year 3 I had a pretty substantial shift in all my heavy events like double over hand lifts. Going in to year 5 I could still easily lift the inch / hub a 45, close a 3 - but barbell lifts all felt heavy.  

The biggest area I saw was lifts where greater spine stability mattered under load. A big belly and more fat contributes to spine strength in certain conditions. Definitely found it easier to increase strength when eating more food. 

Now im between 210-215 and I feel at about the right weight. I literally eat whatever I want and have enough belly to help for dead’s but not over 14% bf 

 

the improvements in blood pressure and sleep quality that came with the weight drop well worth the low priority change in gym lifts. Get that belly down and you’ll feel better

ps I would add the athletic advantages I got from a season of gymnastics and Calisthenics has been my highest yield detour in my strength journey. The 2012 version could lift more weights but would be broken in half at the warm ups of the 2019 model 👍👍

Edited by AdamTGlass
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lennix
9 hours ago, Shal9097 said:

I was wondering what kind of grip strength decrease people have experienced while losing weight?

I lost from 126kg too 110kg without any loss in strenght. This was during a 6 months period and my squat went from 235kg to 237.5kg and deadlift from 262.5kg to 265kg. Bench took a hit -10kg though. Grippwise I didn't notice any big difference, probably I would have developed more strenght not being on a kcal deficit. 

Edited by Lennix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle

I've fluctuated between 230 and 280 over the last few years.  When I dropped weight, I was able to maintain my grip strength on all lifts and increase them a little on most.  When I added weight, I was able to increase them a little easier and quicker.  Always easier to increase strength and muscle mass on a caloric surplus.  That being said, weight isn't as big a factor in grip as it is in other full body strength sports.  I think you would only see a very minimal impact, if any, unless you drop a huge amount of weight. 

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury

It can be a good thing to lose weight for grip strength since hands become leaner, which is better for thick bar, it makes it easier to wrap the hand around the bar. For pinch it's definitely better with thicker hands tho. Since the hands will cover more surface area.

Grip strength is mostly about tendons and very small muscles in the hands and arms. You don't need to be heavy to be good at it. Apollon's Axle being the only exception.

I lost 7 kg once and I dind't feel any negative effects for grip strength. Lost strength in bench press tho.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
25 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

It can be a good thing to lose weight for grip strength since hands become leaner, which is better for thick bar, it makes it easier to wrap the hand around the bar. For pinch it's definitely better with thicker hands tho. Since the hands will cover more surface area.

Grip strength is mostly about tendons and very small muscles in the hands and arms. You don't need to be heavy to be good at it. Apollon's Axle being the only exception.

I lost 7 kg once and I dind't feel any negative effects for grip strength. Lost strength in bench press tho.

Yea, bench is the most affected by body weight imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JStepien

For me it depends. Actually, I think my grip is stronger when I'm around 275-280 lb range... Right now, I'm under 270 lbs so may change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikael Siversson

I dropped my bodyweight from 83k to 74k and stayed there for several years. Never managed to hit my 2HP pr numbers at a lighter bodyweight and found it incredibly hard to get any stronger. At 74k (I am 183cm) I could only train grip in order to stay at that very lean bodyweight. I am over 80k now, train my whole body and setting new pr in grip on a regular basis.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shal9097

Thanks for the replies. Right now I’m about 255 pounds and looking to drop 20-30 pounds. At the same time I’ve gone from closing my #1 three times in a row a month or so ago, to today being able to close my hg250 for a double, and I don’t want to lose my progress. I’m ok with slower gains as long as I keep moving forward with my grip and my hands stay healthy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hubgeezer
13 hours ago, Shal9097 said:

Thanks for the replies. Right now I’m about 255 pounds and looking to drop 20-30 pounds. At the same time I’ve gone from closing my #1 three times in a row a month or so ago, to today being able to close my hg250 for a double, and I don’t want to lose my progress. I’m ok with slower gains as long as I keep moving forward with my grip and my hands stay healthy

I think, if, in your original post, you mentioned “gripper” strength, the answers may have been very short: Very very little loss of strength. Most answers here speak of grip strength not pertaining to grippers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shal9097
29 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I think, if, in your original post, you mentioned “gripper” strength, the answers may have been very short: Very very little loss of strength. Most answers here speak of grip strength not pertaining to grippers.

I was looking for grip strength in general answers. Grippers aren’t the only thing I work on, it’s just what I enjoy the most 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jpav2010

I've lost 12 pounds in the last two months and I've noticed no decrease in grip strength.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.