The Newb's Journey

Dbramb

I officially begin grip training this week in an attempt to someday become competitive among the ranks of Texas locals Adam Glass and the pound-for-pound Titan that is Tanner Merkle. Fat gripz and axle bars will be subbed in over a standard barbell for much of my regular strength and conditioning work in addition to allotting three days each week to focus on grip work specifically using the protocal and implements I outlined below. If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions, please don't hesitate to give me a shout below! Feeling pretty damn excited about this new pursuit into grip sport.

Day #1:
Strength- Pinch Grip Implement (5/3/1)
Accessory- Sledge Hammer, Mace, and/or Kettlebell Levering
Endurance- Bulgarian Bag and/or Battle Rope

Day #2:
Strength- One Hand Crush Implement (5/3/1)
Accessory- Pull-up Variations (Towels, Ropes, Grenades, Globe, Climbing Holds, etc) and Extensor Bands or Sand Bucket
Endurance- Farmers Walk and/or Holds and Handstands

Day #3:
Strength- Two Hand Pinch and Crush Implements (5/3/1)
Accessory- Wrist, BTB, Table, and Finger Curls 
Endurance- Hanging Finger Holds and Jump Rope

Pinch Grip Implements:
Open Hand- Napalm 3”x4”, Ironmind Pinch Block, Bumper Plates, and Hub
Closed Grip- Napalm 2”x4”, Steel Plates, and Flask

Crush Grip Implements:
Open Hand- Rolling Thunder, Napalm 2”, Napalm 2&3/8”, Fat Gripz, Axle, Bulgarian Bag, Battle Rope, and Little Big Horn
Closed Hand- Grippers, Sledge Hammer/Mace/Clubs, and Farmers Walk Handles

Extensor Implements:
Ironmind Bands, Sand Bucket, Sledge Hammer/Mace/Clubs, and Barbell/Dumbbell/Kettlebell

Edited by Dbramb
  • Like 3

Welcome to the madness.  Lots of strong gripsters in Texas to learn from.  Best of luck!

• Thanks 1

Welcome, you seem to have access to a lot of toys!

In general I 'm not sure if the percentages used in 531 are the best for grip, because in general the numbers for what you can lift 10x vs what you can lift 1x are much closer together than for general lifting (deadlift/ bench etc.)

For example I can do 10x70kg on the Rolling thunder, but my max is only 85kg. If these where bench press numbers my max would probably be around 95kg.

On the other hand doing high rep sets is great for building a base for grip strength.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Royz said:

Welcome, you seem to have access to a lot of toys!

In general I 'm not sure if the percentages used in 531 are the best for grip, because in general the numbers for what you can lift 10x vs what you can lift 1x are much closer together than for general lifting (deadlift/ bench etc.)

For example I can do 10x70kg on the Rolling thunder, but my max is only 85kg. If these where bench press numbers my max would probably be around 95kg.

On the other hand doing high rep sets is great for building a base for grip strength.

I was curious about the percentage effect. Do you have any recommendations on percentage ranges that work best with lower sets of 1-5?

5/20/19

Shallow DubHub (each hand):
7.5lbsx5, 9lbsx5, 10.5lbsx5
*held last rep in each hand for time
RT= 0:14
LT= 0:11

Flask (each hand):
22.5lbsx5, 25lbsx5, 27.5lbsx5
RT= 0:34
LT= 0:26

Sledgehammer Reverse Lever (per hand):
2x5 w/ 10lbs @17"

Sledgehammer Side-to-Side Lever (each hand):
2x10 w/ 10lbs @7.5"

Bulgarian Bag Snatches:
50 reps @40lbs= 3:29
Edited by Dbramb
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Dbramb said:

I was curious about the percentage effect. Do you have any recommendations on percentage ranges that work best with lower sets of 1-5?

Since you are new to the grip game any regular training will yield results. My advice is keep it fun and consistent. Most of the guys out here on Team Texas train a similar way, you will get an idea of what it look like when you come out. Hey until then, I really recommend checking out the "grip well" here on the gripboard. It is a section where top level grip guys answer questions and give advice  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5/23/19

Little Big Horn (each hand):
35lbsx5, 37.5lbsx5, 40lbsx5
*held last rep in each hand for time
RT= 0:06
LT= 0:05

Napalm 2&3/8" (each hand):
95lbsx5, 100lbsx5, 105lbsx5
RT= 0:10
LT= 0:10

*I own a moving company and worked for five hours on a move before hitting the implements so no accessories today. I might hit some extensor bands and/or newspaper crunch-ups for dexterity work whenever I get home.

5/28/19

Shallow DubHub (each hand):

10lbsx3, 12.5lbsx3, 15lbsx3

Flask (each hand):
37.5lbsx3, 45lbsx3, 47.5lbsx3

Accessories:
  1. Sledgehammer Revers Levers
  2. Sledgehammer Side-to-Side Levers
  3. Backward Sledgehammer Weaver Lifts
  4. One Arm Mace Swings

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:17 PM, Dbramb said:
I officially begin grip training this week in an attempt to someday become competitive among the ranks of Texas locals Adam Glass and the pound-for-pound Titan that is Tanner Merkle. Fat gripz and axle bars will be subbed in over a standard barbell for much of my regular strength and conditioning work in addition to allotting three days each week to focus on grip work specifically using the protocal and implements I outlined below. If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions, please don't hesitate to give me a shout below! Feeling pretty damn excited about this new pursuit into grip sport.

Day #1:
Strength- Pinch Grip Implement (5/3/1)
Accessory- Sledge Hammer, Mace, and/or Kettlebell Levering
Endurance- Bulgarian Bag and/or Battle Rope

Day #2:
Strength- One Hand Crush Implement (5/3/1)
Accessory- Pull-up Variations (Towels, Ropes, Grenades, Globe, Climbing Holds, etc) and Extensor Bands or Sand Bucket
Endurance- Farmers Walk and/or Holds and Handstands

Day #3:
Strength- Two Hand Pinch and Crush Implements (5/3/1)
Accessory- Wrist, BTB, Table, and Finger Curls 
Endurance- Hanging Finger Holds and Jump Rope

Pinch Grip Implements:
Open Hand- Napalm 3”x4”, Ironmind Pinch Block, Bumper Plates, and Hub
Closed Grip- Napalm 2”x4”, Steel Plates, and Flask

Crush Grip Implements:
Open Hand- Rolling Thunder, Napalm 2”, Napalm 2&3/8”, Fat Gripz, Axle, Bulgarian Bag, Battle Rope, and Little Big Horn
Closed Hand- Grippers, Sledge Hammer/Mace/Clubs, and Farmers Walk Handles

Extensor Implements:
Ironmind Bands, Sand Bucket, Sledge Hammer/Mace/Clubs, and Barbell/Dumbbell/Kettlebell

Will you be at the comp in Fort Worth next month?  I'm coming from New York and looking forward to meeting a lot of the folks who don't make it out to the east coast comps.  I've been in the grip cult about a year and a half now but still feel like a newbie in some respects.

• 9 months later...

Training 3/9/20

Grease the Groove (Every Hour)x4:

1. 5 Plate Curls w/ 25lbs (each hand)

2. 10sec two arm hand, 10sec one arm hang (right), and 10sec one arm hang (left) 

Power Athlete Grindstone Program for Strength & Conditioning (Sample from today):

Prep-

a) 4x8 DB RDL to Shrug

b) 4x10 Banded Hamstring Curls

c) 4x30 Pele's 

CAT Strength Work-

a) 10x2 Back Squat w/ 60sec Rest

Accessory Work-

a) 3x10 Scapula Depressions

b) 3x10 Band Assisted L-Pull-up

c) 3xMAX Rep Bench Dips

Training 3/11/20

4x4 Bouldering on V1-3: 4 sets of 4 consecutive/successful boulder projects w/ 4min rests between sets, building in grade toward your limit.

2 Sets:

a) 5 Plate Curls w/ 25lbs (each arm)

b) 10 Side-to-Side (Rotating) Sledge (each arm)

c) 5 Front and 5 Back Sledge Levers (each arm)

d) 12 Ironmind Yellow Extensor Band

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Dbramb said:

Training 3/11/20

4x4 Bouldering on V1-3: 4 sets of 4 consecutive/successful boulder projects w/ 4min rests between sets, building in grade toward your limit.

I legit just told someone to rock climb to get strong hands. 4x4's are a great way to get strong. I remember many a sweaty climbing session doing 4x4's on my quest to be a better climber. I'd say it paid off.

• Like 2

Training 3/12/20

Wife's out of town and kid's with the grandparents, so I guiltlessly slayed on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for 5Hrs straight without auto-accelerate. My right thumb and forefinger have been rendered utterly useless... 

Edited by Dbramb
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dbramb said:

Training 3/12/20

Wife's out of town and kid's with the grandparents, so I guiltlessly slayed on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for 5Hrs straight without auto-accelerate. My right thumb and forefinger have been rendered utterly useless... 

Now your training like a Tx guy!

• Haha 1

Training 3/13/20

*Warm-up w/ Dead Hangs

A) 16 Bouldering Projects b/w V2-3

B) 5min Handstand Practice

Edited by Dbramb

Training 3/16/20

Prep: 

a) 3x10 Axle RDL to Shrug (165lbs)

b) 3x10 Bulgarian Split Squats (each leg)

Strength:

Every :30 for 15:00- Double-Overhand Axle Deadlift (305lbs)

*Rest 3min*

Heavy Single Attempt @345lbs (no chalk)

Accessories:

15min AMRAP- 10sec Iso Supine Ring Pull-up Hold to MAX Rep Supine Ring Pull-ups

20200316_124948.jpg

• Like 1

Training 3/18/20

Strength Endurance:

A) 4x5 Plate Curls w/ 25lbs (ear arm w/ one arm deadhang on opposite arm)

B) 4x10 Side-to-Side Sledgehammer Rotations (each arm)

C) 4x5 Sledgehammer Levers (each arm)

D) 4x5 Reverse Sledgehammer Levers (each arm)

Antagonist Work: 3x12 Ironmind Yellow Band Extensions 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dbramb said:

Training 3/18/20

Antagonist Work: 3x12 Ironmind Yellow Band Extensions 

If I may, I would highly recommend you consider upping the volume of your antagonist work... even if performing 5 or 10-count holds on every rep thirty-six (36) reps is simply just scratching the surface there and is really not enough work to counter (if taking an antagonist training approach) what you did in your workout.

• Like 1

Training 3/19/20

4 Rounds:

a) 10 Strict Toes-to-Bars

b) 10 Gada Swings (each arm)

c) 2 Ironmind Blockbuster Lifts (each arm)

On 3/19/2020 at 2:11 AM, Ricochet said:

If I may, I would highly recommend you consider upping the volume of your antagonist work... even if performing 5 or 10-count holds on every rep thirty-six (36) reps is simply just scratching the surface there and is really not enough work to counter (if taking an antagonist training approach) what you did in your workout.

Thank you for the consideration! I mainly use these smaller resistance sets on the extensions to open up my hand immediately after a workout. Otherwise, I find myself completely extending my fingers and holding that open hand position for several seconds at a time frequently throughout the day on my own accord. The training that I list here is only my dedicated grip work and doesn't often include my mobility, personal positional maintenance, occasional grease-the-groove exercises, strength and conditioning, manual labor as a mover, or general monkeying around. 

Edited by Dbramb