I might looking for dynamic hand dynamometer ....

Sensitive Guy

So I’m relatively new to grip, and grip training, but assess and measure it a fair bit in clinic - as a biomarker, and as a means of assessing cervical (neck) / arm / hand dysfunctions. 

I currently use a Lafayette (200lb) or Baseline (300lb) static / isometric hand dynamometer for measuring grip / crush strength. 

Are there any dynamometers out there which allow for movement? In other words, ones where the handles get closer together during the measurement, which also have the ability to measure average to strong grip up to 300lbs + 

Thanks in advance for any guidance / advice you can offer 🙏🏻❤️

At that point you're basically describing a gripper. You could get an adjustable one and set the handles to parallel, to eliminate some of the variables of having to set the gripper.

None that I am aware of that work quite like that but I am working on something that could do that.

1 hour ago, acorn said:

None that I am aware of that work quite like that but I am working on something that could do that.

Richard Sorin has one that has about 1/2”-3/4” of movement but i do not know the type or brand. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 4:53 PM, wobbler said:

At that point you're basically describing a gripper. You could get an adjustable one and set the handles to parallel, to eliminate some of the variables of having to set the gripper.

A gripper with parallel handles and a read out dial, yes, I guess ... I believe Joe Musslewhite held one up in a video chat he was doing with someone else once, but the quality was such I couldnt get any info from it at the time 😞

On 5/16/2019 at 5:16 PM, acorn said:

I’d be interested in finding out more about this @acorn 😊

On 5/16/2019 at 6:59 PM, Lucasraymond said:

Richard Sorin has one that has about 1/2”-3/4” of movement but i do not know the type or brand. 

Is Richard Sorin on the forum anywhere that we could ask by chance?

Thanks everyone for your responses 👍

On 6/6/2019 at 12:17 AM, Sensitive Guy said:

A gripper with parallel handles and a read out dial, yes, I guess ... I believe Joe Musslewhite held one up in a video chat he was doing with someone else once, but the quality was such I couldnt get any info from it at the time 😞

I’d be interested in finding out more about this @acorn 😊

Is Richard Sorin on the forum anywhere that we could ask by chance?

Thanks everyone for your responses 👍

Yes Mr. Richard Sorin is a member here under the name @1stCoC. I don't know what is Lucas referring to but I know Richard has the RB one which is dynamic (with movement). I own few of the older RB hand dyno (both models, one goes to 125KG and the other to 150 KG) and it is all dynamic. Amazing piece of equipment. Want one? You can't but new. Must hunt down owners and buy from them. No I won't sell mine even though I have few.

57 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Yes Mr. Richard Sorin is a member here under the name @1stCoC. I don't know what is Lucas referring to but I know Richard has the RB one which is dynamic (with movement). I own few of the older RB hand dyno (both models, one goes to 125KG and the other to 150 KG) and it is all dynamic. Amazing piece of equipment. Want one? You can't but new. Must hunt down owners and buy from them. No I won't sell mine even though I have few.

Yes those are the ones I am referring to

@Alawadhi do you have pictures by any chance? Very curious to see if this is the one I saw in the video .... 

Much appreciated if you can find the time to do this 🙏👍

On 6/9/2019 at 12:26 PM, Alawadhi said:

Oooooo there’s another type ... this might have been it ....

You make it sound like these are difficult to come by, is that the case? Are there modern equivalents which go to c. 300lb mark?

2470091F-E42B-43B2-8DE9-4D069B70197E.jpeg

So, I’ve found the video

Joe Musslewhite holding a dynamic dynamometer. Also mentioned static ones give typically 15% higher readings, which given I don’t have a massive amount of confidence in the baseline I own, doesn’t bode well.. the Lafayette I feel is super accurate and repeatable, but I’m too near the upper limit of the dial and need it to remain accurate for use in clinic. 

If annoying knows what this device is, or what a suitable dynamic dynamometer would be that goes to c. 300lbs, I’d be very grateful 🙏👍

7410C753-0A34-47B6-BF20-146E9A369CBF.png

13 hours ago, Sensitive Guy said:

Oooooo there’s another type ... this might have been it ....

You make it sound like these are difficult to come by, is that the case? Are there modern equivalents which go to c. 300lb mark?

2470091F-E42B-43B2-8DE9-4D069B70197E.jpeg

Yeah this is mine. There are few pictures in my gallery. Dynamic is of course more superior. But the maximum I've seen is a 100Kg besides the Baraban which goes to 150KG. The Baseline 300 static is also great go for it.

On 6/10/2019 at 2:09 PM, Sensitive Guy said:

Wasn’t one of these .... 

1A05BBF6-03D6-4438-90B1-03851F68EE28.jpeg

This is the one i was thinking of...not the other ones