2019 APL World Armlifting Championships - Results

Eric Roussin

Big numbers! Nice new record on the SB. Well done to everyone. Best RT seems to be by Tank 110KG by the new rules. Shows the difference.

• Like 2

Eric I’m confused why is 21 seconds listed as WR for #4? 

Tanner got 30 in Jan in Fort Worth, Clay Edgin had like 24/25. Tanner has 30 and Jedd Johnson 25/26 at the Arnold. Is this federation not recognizing those records?

Edited by AdamTGlass

1 hour ago, Alawadhi said:

Big numbers! Nice new record on the SB. Well done to everyone. Best RT seems to be by Tank 110KG by the new rules. Shows the difference.

I was able to chat with a few of the guys and they said the contest was extremely long. 14-15 hours per day long with weird gaps of time between attempts & events. These numbers speak to me more of fatigue over the travel/time changes/warmup times rather than tougher bars. I look forward to seeing trip reports 👍👍💪💪💪

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

Eric I’m confused why is 21 seconds listed as WR for #4? 

Tanner got 30 in Jan in Fort Worth, Clay Edgin had like 24/25. Tanner has 30 and Jedd Johnson 25/26 at the Arnold. Is this federation not recognizing those records?

I believe “world record” signifies an “APL world record”. I don’t know if this means the record needs to be broken at the World Championships. I too find it odd that records broken in Armlifting USA contests would not be recognized.

• Like 1

I competed and yes the days were extremely long. There was only a single implement for each discipline that performed double duty for warmups and the actual contest. Warmups were performed in a small area leading to the holding room. We had to use the chalk they provided and imo it was garbage. Overall I had a great time. Especially since i managed a bronze medal in excalibur and 4th place in master 1 Apollon's Axle.  This isn't my trip write up just me bitching about a couple things.

• Thanks 1

Seeing these results gives me hope in a way, the numbers seem a lot more obtainable and realistic to me. 

Equipment seasoning, chalk application etc. seems to play a huge role and ads a lot of extra kilograms, and when you're used to manipulating the implements to the maximum in your favor, your performance is a lot lower % wise on a new implement or different rules. That's why I try my best to not care about the stuff like chalking up, seasoning the equipment etc., so that I'm starting in an unfavorable position and if the conditions are better, I'll just pull more, but if they are very strict, I've prepared for it in my training. Of course I'm gonna use chalk, but I'm not gonna make it into a science.

It's like pulling all your deadlifts on a deadlift flexible bar, and pulling on a stiff bar in competition, it's not very advisable.

I hope nobody takes this as an insult, I'm not aware of the other circumstances of the event, but I feel like the person needs to be prepared for the worst, both in life and in training, and making things easier for yourself comes back to bite you.

• Like 3

Congrats to all!  Great contest!

• Like 1

An observation...looking at the photos that I can find, I am not sure I have ever seen a group of grip folks that seem to be having a genuinely GOOD TIME as on this trip.

Don’t know if it is because of the wide range of ages, genders, shapes, sizes, parts of the country, etc., the thrill of being in a country so different than the US, some sense of National Team Spirit unprecedented in our cult sport, feeling like you’re on vacation, personal pride, or what. But there is a sense of joy leaping out of the computer screen that I don’t often see.

Looking forward to reading some Trip Reports about it.

Glad to see it went so well for the participants, it’s a treat seeing and hearing about it.

Edit: I see this is my 3000th post. Nice to have it about something upbeat.

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 3

On 5/17/2019 at 8:52 AM, Hubgeezer said:

An observation...looking at the photos that I can find, I am not sure I have ever seen a group of grip folks that seem to be having a genuinely GOOD TIME as on this trip.

Don’t know if it is because of the wide range of ages, genders, shapes, sizes, parts of the country, etc., the thrill of being in a country so different than the US, some sense of National Team Spirit unprecedented in our cult sport, feeling like you’re on vacation, personal pride, or what. But there is a sense of joy leaping out of the computer screen that I don’t often see.

Glad to see it went so well for the participants, it’s a treat seeing and hearing about it.

I was very disappointed in my performance, but it was awesome being a part of team USA. There was a real sense of national pride! Meeting my teammates from all over the country, in another country, was unique. There was a lot of camaraderie. Meeting people from other countries was a real treat! It was a wonderful experience that I’ll never forget.

• Like 4

On 5/17/2019 at 6:52 AM, Hubgeezer said:

Agreed! It was such a positive experience for those Team Idaho members who went and all had great things to say. Sometimes with international competitions you take a risk on competition/venue quality and risk versus reward. Sounds like this was wayyyyy positive and well worth the trip. Lots more people interested in trying to qualify for next year, so I am considering a late summer/early fall competition out here if Idaho is still on your list of possibilities. I'm really impressed with Armlifting USA overall and cannot wait to see it continue to grow.

There was some big time disappointment  and frustration that the women were required to use a COC 1 for the silver bullet. That's like telling the men they couldn't use the WR standards and all men would need to use a COC 2. That's beyond silly IMO, especially since officially in competition the women have used a COC 3. This was WORLDS after all. I know Dani wasn't aware of that change until a couple weeks beforehand so it was awesome to see the Americans step up, throw down and take first and second on this event. Still trying to understand why using only a COC 1 was even a thing versus giving women options similar to the men. 

Got to say, I am really sad I couldn't make the trip and very envious of those who went. The stories Dani shared were awesome and so many inspiring performances by some great people. That's cool. And that's a whole lotta posts. Congrats.?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Amy said:

Agreed! It was such a positive experience for those Team Idaho members who went and all had great things to say. Sometimes with international competitions you take a risk on competition/venue quality and risk versus reward. Sounds like this was wayyyyy positive and well worth the trip. Lots more people interested in trying to qualify for next year, so I am considering a late summer/early fall competition out here if Idaho is still on your list of possibilities. I'm really impressed with Armlifting USA overall and cannot wait to see it continue to grow.

There was some big time disappointment  and frustration that the women were required to use a COC 1 for the silver bullet. That's like telling the men they couldn't use the WR standards and all men would need to use a COC 2. That's beyond silly IMO, especially since officially in competition the women have used a COC 3. This was WORLDS after all. I know Dani wasn't aware of that change until a couple weeks beforehand so it was awesome to see the Americans step up, throw down and take first and second on this event. Still trying to understand why using only a COC 1 was even a thing versus giving women options similar to the men. 

Got to say, I am really sad I couldn't make the trip and very envious of those who went. The stories Dani shared were awesome and so many inspiring performances by some great people. That's cool. And that's a whole lotta posts. Congrats.?

Mike is coming up on his 15th anniversary here on the GB (June 4th).  So 200 a year.  Pretty reasonable for a guy who loves him some grip.  👍🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Mike is coming up on his 15th anniversary here on the GB (June 4th).  So 200 a year.  Pretty reasonable for a guy who loves him some grip.  👍🏻

Agreed. I was just being silly as to what the proper social etiquette is on that milestone. 😉

Edited by Amy