Finding stuff to bend in Australia

db2000

I can get access to ironmind nails and I will do that so I can measure my progress, but I have no idea where to start for bending stock in Australia. 

Does anyone know of where I can find out about the types of items to get in Australia to bend. someone suggested 01 drill rod as a start.

All benders bags, 60d nails etc are so expensive to ship over

Go to your local hardware store or industrial steel supply shop. Not sure what steel or bolts, etc are standard there. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Go to your local hardware store or industrial steel supply shop. Not sure what steel or bolts, etc are standard there. 

Plenty of stuff to bend, but stuff seems to be named differently (as well as metric/imperial issue). What I was hoping for is someone with experience to tell me what Australian stock falls between the blue and red nails for example. 

Take some pictures (particularly of the heads of bolts) and measurements and we can do our best to help you. 

I wrote an article regarding this on another (now defunct) discussion forum about a 12 years (and 2 PCs) ago. . . . .but I'll have a look for it .

I'm assuming you're a what is now considered a DO style bender - so the article may be a little shallow as I was mainly discussing sub IM Red strength stuff.

Other than for comparison and strength testing purposes you really should avoid buying bending stock from overseas - it's simply too expensive.

And yes, you should check out the pics in my gallery.

Dave

Edited by gripmaniac

For short unbraced bending try to find round steel, cold rolled steel and stainless steel. For beginners, 5-6 mm will suffice. For bolts I have no idea.

For braced bending you should get hot rolled steel. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Danny Young said:

Dont forget hex and square stock.

How does they differ from round bars?

14 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

How does they differ from round bars?

They’re more difficult - hex is harder than round and square harder than hex.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, gripmaniac said:

I wrote an article regarding this on another (now defunct) discussion forum about a 12 years (and 2 PCs) ago. . . . .but I'll have a look for it .

I'm assuming you're a what is now considered a DO style bender - so the article may be a little shallow as I was mainly discussing sub IM Red strength stuff.

Other than for comparison and strength testing purposes you really should avoid buying bending stock from overseas - it's simply too expensive.

And yes, you should check out the pics in my gallery.

Dave

I remember seeing that article many years ago, I should have saved it! 

Do you remember the name of the forum and its address? I am wondering if it is archived on wayback machine 

Edited by db2000

4 hours ago, db2000 said:

I remember seeing that article many years ago, I should have saved it! 

Do you remember the name of the forum and its address? I am wondering if it is archived on wayback machine 

One step ahead of you. . .and NO . . .wayback machine only has the thread headings. . . .not the contents!

• 2 weeks later...

Despite an exhaustive search of various PCs, hard drives, etc I have been unable to locate a copy of the article anywhere (strange - I normally hoard such useful reference material).

I'll throw together a few thoughts and post something in a week or two.

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gripmaniac said:

Despite an exhaustive search of various PCs, hard drives, etc I have been unable to locate a copy of the article anywhere (strange - I normally hoard such useful reference material).

I'll throw together a few thoughts and post something in a week or two.

Dave

Thank you so so much. I really appreciate your effort