Favorite grip equipment and why and not needing everything under the sun to achieve a world class grip

24 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

The tools needed to get a world class grip would have to hit the aspects of all the main things tested for grip for a world class grip definition . Pinch, wrist, thick bar, rolling handle, vertical bar or crush. The tools that can get you to the world class grip that are minimally needed without having to get every piece of equipment under the sun. In my opinion, things that cover all of those aspects  as far as pieces of equipment are concerned. As far as what classifies a world class grip? I would say.... 

220 or over on rolling thunder

200 or Over on 2.5 inch crusher 

300 or above on V bar 2 inch 

400 or above on a 2 inch axle

100 or above on a one hand pinch 

220 or above on a 2 hands pinch 

closing a number 3 or above with a CCS

20 pound strict lever of a sledgehammer 

please chime in on what you all think is a world class grip on certain items we all contest in. Very fun conversation to see what everyone thinks consists of world class. 

Very good min. but some lifts depends on BWT. 120 kg plus BWT just to qualify for NAGS nationals is 220lb 2HP. Of course someone who weighs 370 and pulls 400 on axle is not WC, etc

175-200 BWT 205 RT(new Version) Axle 385, V-bar 280,  1 HP flask 95, 2HP flask 210, #3 CCS, GHP block(170 plus) GHP 8, MM 3 and above, IM hub 75lb, 20lb strict sledgehammer lever, 18lb rear pickaxe.

201lb-250lb BWT for the following  215 RT(new version), Axle 396, V-bar 300, 1HP 100, 2HP 220 flask, #3 CCS, GHP block GHP 8, MM3 and above, IM hub 80lb,  Sledgehammer 20lb, rear pickaxe 20lb.

251 plus BWT 225 RT, axle 407, V-bar 300, Flask 225lb, same grippers as above, IM hub 80lb, same sledge min. as above

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Very good min. but some lifts depends on BWT. 120 kg plus BWT just to qualify for NAGS nationals is 220lb 2HP. Of course someone who weighs 370 and pulls 400 on axle is not WC, etc

175-200 BWT 205 RT(new Version) Axle 385, V-bar 280,  1 HP flask 95, 2HP flask 210, #3 CCS, GHP block(170 plus) GHP 8, MM 3 and above, IM hub 75lb, 20lb strict sledgehammer lever, 18lb rear pickaxe.

201lb-250lb BWT for the following  215 RT(new version), Axle 396, V-bar 300, 1HP 100, 2HP 220 flask, #3 CCS, GHP block GHP 8, MM3 and above, IM hub 80lb,  Sledgehammer 20lb, rear pickaxe 20lb.

251 plus BWT 225 RT, axle 407, V-bar 300, Flask 225lb, same grippers as above, IM hub 80lb, same sledge min. as above

IMO Many of the minimum lifts for the heavyweight NAGS are insane. I think Jedd was the only one that pulled more  than 220  on 2HP at nationals no matter the division . I tried 224 and got it a few inches.  So, 120 + with myself pulling at 276 BW pulled  214, Justin major at over 300 pounds pulling 207 and big Mikes 283 BW  just under 200 I believe. By those numbers we would not have even qualified for nationals entry. 220 is HIGH.

5 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

IMO Many of the minimum lifts for the heavyweight NAGS are insane. I think Jedd was the only one that pulled more  than 220  on 2HP at nationals no matter the division . I tried 224 and got it a few inches.  So, 120 + with myself pulling at 276 BW pulled  214, Justin major at over 300 pounds pulling 207 and big Mikes 283 BW  just under 200 I believe. By those numbers we would not have even qualified for nationals entry. 220 is HIGH.

The list looks pretty fair to me other than the 10lb front sledge  lift. 120kg plus and min. 380 axle is not unreasonable along with many other lifts, 4 of which are the same min. as 120kg class.

8 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Agreed. 

11 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

The list looks pretty fair to me other than the 10lb front sledge  lift. 120kg plus and min. 380 axle is not unreasonable along with many other lifts, 4 of which are the same min. as 120kg class.

You know what, now that I look at the whole list,  I think you are right... the 2HP is the one I think is the most over blown. I can and have done almost all or above on the qualifying list. All high numbers, but doable to someone at nationals level.

6 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You know what, now that I look at the whole list,  I think you are right... the 2HP is the one I think is the most over blown. I can and have done almost all or above on the qualifying list. All high numbers, but doable to someone at nationals level.

No doubt! Some lifts look high, low but most are doable. The only two that might give me problem(105k class) is 1hp 2hp Euro as I have never used

Edited by Kluv#0
spell/add

The qualification weights were very much based on data in the gripsport.org database. There are 25 Americans who have contest lifts of 220 lbs or more in the Euro Pinch. So if 220 isn't the right threshold, I don't feel it's very far off. In any event, there's nothing preventing the lists from being revised if enough people feel they should be.

9 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

The qualification weights were very much based on data in the gripsport.org database. There are 25 Americans who have contest lifts of 220 lbs or more in the Euro Pinch. So if 220 isn't the right threshold, I don't feel it's very far off. In any event, there's nothing preventing the lists from being revised if enough people feel they should be.

Considering in the last 2 years of nationals, no one has done over 220 on 2HP besides Jedd in the euro, I would say it’s a tad high for a qualifying lift. But as far as the other lifts? All are fine in my book. But if you are getting  qualifying lifts from actual stats, then that is as objective as you can get as far as what’s what. 

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

The tools needed to get a world class grip would have to hit the aspects of all the main things tested for grip for a world class grip definition . Pinch, wrist, thick bar, rolling handle, vertical bar or crush. The tools that can get you to the world class grip that are minimally needed without having to get every piece of equipment under the sun. In my opinion, things that cover all of those aspects  as far as pieces of equipment are concerned. As far as what classifies a world class grip? I would say.... 

220 or over on rolling thunder

200 or Over on 2.5 inch crusher 

300 or above on V bar 2 inch 

400 or above on a 2 inch axle

100 or above on a one hand pinch 

220 or above on a 2 hands pinch 

closing a number 3 or above with a CCS

20 pound strict lever of a sledgehammer 

please chime in on what you all think is a world class grip on certain items we all contest in. Very fun conversation to see what everyone thinks consists of world class. 

225 on rolling thunder.
215 on the 2.5" crusher with the cross-bar rule.
V-bar lifts, I don't know.
400 on axle with tight spin-lock collars (at least 200 kg if they're not tight).
100 on 1HP (a bit less if the object has a slope like the Gold Bar).
75 on IM hub.
50 on shallow hub.
225 on 2HP like the Euro and Flask.
COC#3 or equivalent gripper with CCS.
180 lbs+ RGC with 20 mm block (standard spread on the gripper).
Level 18 on Vulcan gripper with 20 mm block.
Sledge hammers, I don't know.
Strict lift of Inch DB replica with no rotation or tilting of the bell.
20 kg plate curl.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 1:33 AM, Fist of Fury said:

225 on rolling thunder.
215 on the 2.5" crusher with the cross-bar rule.
400 on axle with tight spin-lock collars (at least 200 kg if they're not tight).
100 on 1HP (a bit less if the object has a slope like the Gold Bar).
75 on IM hub.
50 on shallow hub.
225 on 2HP like the Euro and Flask.
COC#3 or equivalent gripper with CCS.
180 lbs+ RGC with 20 mm block (standard spread on the gripper).
Level 18 on Vulcan gripper with 20 mm block.
Strict lift of Inch DB replica with no rotation or tilting of the bell.
20 kg plate curl.

225 on rolling thunder - never done
215 on the 2.5" crusher with the cross-bar rule. - 191 lbs  2.5" Crusher 6 inches cross bar rule
400 on axle with tight spin-lock collars (at least 200 kg if they're not tight). - done with 402 lbs
100 on 1HP (a bit less if the object has a slope like the Gold Bar). - done 107 lbs
75 on IM hub. - 73 lbs
50 on shallow hub. - 51 lbs (hubs and others similiar tools are odd objects to me even though my hands 195 mm long)
225 on 2HP like the Euro and Flask. - Done 217.2 lbs
COC#3 or equivalent gripper with CCS. - Undone (closed #3, BBGM from 20mm block)
180 lbs+ RGC with 20 mm block (standard spread on the gripper). -
Level 18 on Vulcan gripper with 20 mm block. - Level 17 Done with 20 mm block
Strict lift of Inch DB replica with no rotation or tilting of the bell. - Lifted 72 kg Globe DB with 66.4 mm thick handle and 90.2 kg Loadable db 60.1 mm thick handle with tight - very tight spin collars (nuts)
20 kg plate curl.- never tried 

Conclusion: I have never considered my grip as a near world class level due to genetics, most likely above average or advanced

Edited by Stanislav

• 3 months later...
On 5/12/2019 at 6:51 PM, Joseph Sullivan said:

This thread is being created on request of @japete01

He asked me “what is my favorite grip equipment and why”

well, here it goes 

Thick bar 

1) any kind of axle or thick barbell or dumbbell of 2 inches or more

I prefer 2 handed lifts to 1 hands lifts for maximum weight lifted and  time saved. Minimum handle diameter of 2 inches with a preference for 2.5 inch on an axle. 

2) vertical handle of 2 inch or more.

Has a very good stimulation for wrist and forearm strength and size IMO. 

Pinch

1) Saxon bar of 2 inch and 2.5 inch. 

I enjoy Saxon for its 2 hands component. I do not like 3 inch, as it tears my hand up. 

2) arm assassin strength shop thumb blaster 

My number one go to pinch device. No torn hands and it acts as a hybrid thick bar/pinch style device. Also, flip it around and it works as a finger tester.

wrist

1) sledgehammer 

used for levering in all direction for maximum wrist and forearm strength and development 

2) arm assassin strength shop double and single wrist wrench replica

absolutely TRASHES the wrist in a way you won’t find with any other implements.

Conclusion....

I keep it very simple. You do NOT need a lot of oddball pieces of equipment to develop a world class grip. If you cover and destroy the basics, you will come into your own and be well rounded on everything. If you are going to compete, get the oddball stuff if you wish. But you don’t need most of it. 

What I listed is basically all I use most of the time. Hope this helps some of you. 

Joe

So this is the thread you were referring to. Looks like I was a couple of months late 😅

• 1 month later...

This is a great thread. Personally if say you could do only 3 grip based exercises it would have to be thick bar, plate curls and towel chinups using 2 thick towels.

I personally think weighted Towel chinups are the best overall grip and forearms exercise you can do as they seem to hit every muscle hard. Especially the thumbs and the Hypothenar pad. Since doing towel chinups ive developed this weird cool round muscle on top of my hands between the bones of my little and ring metacarpels.

On 6/16/2019 at 5:33 PM, Fist of Fury said:

I'm well aware of the "spin-lock collar crew" insistence that it makes a difference, but 40lbs!? You got a chuckle out of me. 😂

Sorry, don't want to derail this thread. I agree with most of these definitions of WC.

And to the original topic, when people ask me what equipment to start with, I tell them they need a narrow-ish pinch block (less than 3in), a rolling handle, and something to work their wrists. That's the bare minimum if the goal is to build really strong all-around hands. With skill training, this strength can carryover pretty well to other more specific lifts.

Grippers are so skill-based, I don't really care if someone can't close big grippers. I have closed grippers bigger than people with stronger hands than mine because I am really good at setting. I love grippers, though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

I'm well aware of the "spin-lock collar crew" insistence that it makes a difference, but 40lbs!? You got a chuckle out of me. 😂

Sorry, don't want to derail this thread. I agree with most of these definitions of WC.

And to the original topic, when people ask me what equipment to start with, I tell them they need a narrow-ish pinch block (less than 3in), a rolling handle, and something to work their wrists. That's the bare minimum if the goal is to build really strong all-around hands. With skill training, this strength can carryover pretty well to other more specific lifts.

Grippers are so skill-based, I don't really care if someone can't close big grippers. I have closed grippers bigger than people with stronger hands than mine because I am really good at setting. I love grippers, though.

I don't know what difference it makes for you or anyone else but for me it easily makes around 10-15 kg's of difference. That is up to 35 lbs.

2HP of 220# is the only WC feat I can do.  None of the others.

• Like 1

World class Grip?  The way I would go about it.  Go to our top 100 lists and find the event - and then your weight class.  Find the WR number and then take say 90% - 95% of that number.  I'd call that World Class.  If you are in the top 5 to 10% in the world that's pretty good. 

You might even want to look at the second place record holder to eliminate those real outliers in the lighter classes.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

World class Grip?  The way I would go about it.  Go to our top 100 lists and find the event - and then your weight class.  Find the WR number and then take say 90% - 95% of that number.  I'd call that World Class.  If you are in the top 5 to 10% in the world that's pretty good. 

You might even want to look at the second place record holder to eliminate those real outliers in the lighter classes.

"World class performance" should never be based on WR's in my opinion. Because there's always outliers in everything. It would be like saying 104.9 kg on the Crusher isn't world class just because someone like Laine exists.

Or like 9.80 on 100 m dash isn't world class because of Bolt etc.

4 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

"World class performance" should never be based on WR's in my opinion. Because there's always outliers in everything. It would be like saying 104.9 kg on the Crusher isn't world class just because someone like Laine exists.

What would you think of taking the Top 5 or top 10 in any given event in each weight class?  At least in an event that has been competed often.  I keep thinking there should be a way one could tell how close they are on any given event.  That would tend to account for the outliers somewhat.

I'd be very interested to see what others think is the best way to determine what is World Class

Edited by climber511

4 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

It is world class, that's within 90-95% of the record like he suggested. He even says take 2nd place to rule out freaks. 

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

It is world class, that's within 90-95% of the record like he suggested. He even says take 2nd place to rule out freaks. 

No it isn't that's why I threw out that number on the crusher.

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

What would you think of taking the Top 5 or top 10 in any given event in each weight class?  At least in an event that has been competed often.  I keep thinking there should be a way one could tell how close they are on any given event.  That would tend to account for the outliers somewhat.

I'd be very interested to see what others think is the best way to determine what is World Class

It's only a matter of opinion as I see it. I just had a similar discussion with people on YT regarding gripper closes. People are going use the words "world class" or "elite" they way they feel like doing it.

The only true way you could establish something that is not subject interpetation would be to actually have qualification standards (for all competitions). Then follow those numbers for international competitions. The same way most serious sports do.

35 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

No it isn't that's why I threw out that number on the crusher.

9.8 is within 5% of his 9.58 second record. Are you saying that's not world class? That would also put 10.2 in world class, and some don't even say anything over 10 is elite so that seems to fit several definitions. I would put elite or world class at 5% of the top, then high level or professional around 10-20% from the top

42 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

9.8 is within 5% of his 9.58 second record. Are you saying that's not world class? That would also put 10.2 in world class, and some don't even say anything over 10 is elite so that seems to fit several definitions. I would put elite or world class at 5% of the top, then high level or professional around 10-20% from the top

Yes whatever. Margins are smaller in that sport (as far as time and speed is concerned). Point being there's always going to be outliers in every sport and basing world class results after WR's is not good in my opinion.

• 3 years later...

THREAD REANIMATED 

Curious if peoples opinions changed.

Theres grip comp tools and theres tools to get really strong. Do people need NN as opposed to grabbing fat gripz? 

Edited by BottledCitrus