Favorite grip equipment and why and not needing everything under the sun to achieve a world class grip

This thread is being created on request of @japete01

He asked me “what is my favorite grip equipment and why”

well, here it goes 

Thick bar 

1) any kind of axle or thick barbell or dumbbell of 2 inches or more

I prefer 2 handed lifts to 1 hands lifts for maximum weight lifted and  time saved. Minimum handle diameter of 2 inches with a preference for 2.5 inch on an axle. 

2) vertical handle of 2 inch or more.

Has a very good stimulation for wrist and forearm strength and size IMO. 

Pinch

1) Saxon bar of 2 inch and 2.5 inch. 

I enjoy Saxon for its 2 hands component. I do not like 3 inch, as it tears my hand up. 

2) arm assassin strength shop thumb blaster 

My number one go to pinch device. No torn hands and it acts as a hybrid thick bar/pinch style device. Also, flip it around and it works as a finger tester.

wrist

1) sledgehammer 

used for levering in all direction for maximum wrist and forearm strength and development 

2) arm assassin strength shop double and single wrist wrench replica

absolutely TRASHES the wrist in a way you won’t find with any other implements.

Conclusion....

I keep it very simple. You do NOT need a lot of oddball pieces of equipment to develop a world class grip. If you cover and destroy the basics, you will come into your own and be well rounded on everything. If you are going to compete, get the oddball stuff if you wish. But you don’t need most of it. 

What I listed is basically all I use most of the time. Hope this helps some of you. 

Joe

Edited by Guest

My favorites would be thick bar/fat grips, block weights and sledge hammers.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Bearcat 74 said:

My favorites would be thick bar/fat grips, block weights and sledge hammers.  

That’s really all you need.

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

This thread is being created on request of @japete01

He asked me “what is my favorite grip equipment and why”

well, here it goes 

Thick bar 

1) any kind of axle or thick barbell or dumbbell of 2 inches or more

I prefer 2 handed lifts to 1 hands lifts for maximum weight lifted and  time saved. Minimum handle diameter of 2 inches with a preference for 2.5 inch on an axle. 

2) vertical handle of 2 inch or more.

Has a very good stimulation for wrist and forearm strength and size IMO. 

Pinch

1) Saxon bar of 2 inch and 2.5 inch. 

I enjoy Saxon for its 2 hands component. I do not like 3 inch, as it tears my hand up. 

2) arm assassin strength shop thumb blaster 

My number one go to pinch device. No torn hands and it acts as a hybrid thick bar/pinch style device. Also, flip it around and it works as a finger tester.

wrist

1) sledgehammer 

used for levering in all direction for maximum wrist and forearm strength and development 

2) arm assassin strength shop double and single wrist wrench replica

absolutely TRASHES the wrist in a way you won’t find with any other implements.

Conclusion....

I keep it very simple. You do NOT need a lot of oddball pieces of equipment to develop a world class grip. If you cover and destroy the basics, you will come into your own and be well rounded on everything. If you are going to compete, get the oddball stuff if you wish. But you don’t need most of it. 

What I listed is basically all I use most of the time. Hope this helps some of you. 

Joe

Joe - thank you!  This should be bookmarked for all noobs. 

Thick bar:

2.5+ prefer bars and DBs I enjoy 1 handed deadlifts and viper snatches or whatever the hell you wanna call them. 

Pinching:

3-4”  devices or chunks of metal, matters not. Hate blobs though..

Odd object:

love lifting things that most folk find werid or painful. Goofy stuff like stubs, finnish ball, my finger killer, weird rocks etc.

I suck at grip though, so I just try to find things that are fun. Not necessarily competitive because Im just not good enough to compete with anyone. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

That’s really all you need.

I think you’re correct.  I have a homemade wrist wrench and like it bigly but I could do without it.   I like grippers but I’ve not messed with one in years.   I think overall strength and less pain for me thick bar and sledges if I were narrowing it down to just two things.

Anvils are cool, and I’m glad I have a few but they’re not a necessity.  But they are cool.  Lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bearcat 74 said:

I think you’re correct.  I have a homemade wrist wrench and like it bigly but I could do without it.   I like grippers but I’ve not messed with one in years.   I think overall strength and less pain for me thick bar and sledges if I were narrowing it down to just two things.

Anvils are cool, and I’m glad I have a few but they’re not a necessity.  But they are cool.  Lol

Totally agree! Thick bar and sledge!

2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I keep it very simple. You do NOT need a lot of oddball pieces of equipment to develop a world class grip.

Heck, David Horne got good from just a barbell and plates. That alone can work all the musculature of the hand and wrist, as well as hitting different pinch widths.

• Like 1

Narrow it down huh?  Barbell for Power Forearms (this includes single end dumbbell work or equivalent sledge work) plus finger curls - this could be my entire workout really - my one stop shop for Grip.  Adjustable pinch or different widths single implements - from 3/8' to 2.5" (any wider makes my thumbs sore).  Tombstone.  Axle - 2" only (2 3/8" or 2.5" makes my thumbs sore).  Climbing hangboard and climbing wall.

The only time I really only use some things is a few weeks before a contest.  Stand alone Sledge hammers,  any kind of V-Bar - Anvils - key pinch - plywood lift - stubs - coins - etc

Things I hardly ever use - Grippers, Blobs - wide pinch blocks.  I do use my Ivanko Super Gripper at times.

Nothing wide as this makes my thumbs hurt for days afterwards.

So a Barbell - Adjustable Pinch and Axle for my three item list.

• Like 2

Aside from grippers, I like my blob attachment and my sledgehammer. I'll be getting two thick rolling handles in the mail soon, and those should be great too.

For crush, I really like grippers the best, maybe simply because they were my first intro to grip sports.

For pinch, I love the Euro for two hands and the flask for one hand, but lately I have really liked the Saxon bar the few times I have tried it, and now Anton has one and I work out there at least twice a month, so I will get to see it regularly (at least once my left wrist gets a little better).  Seems like the Saxon bar is easier on the hands and allows slightly greater weight, so it may train some of the muscles better by not letting the hands limit the rest of them as much.  Just a lay person's intuition on that though.  But I like all three for pinch.

For thick bar, I have never loved it but I am warming up to it.  I like the Napalm's handles because they don't require a full deadlift, and are thus less likely to lead to injury (I have had back surgery and don't want to push it).  However, I will say that despite my concern about deadlifting, one of my goals for this year is to deadlift more on an Olympic bar than on an axle.  If that sounds weird to you, I understand.  My max on both is the same because I never lifted before and I have a decent grip, so my limiting factor is my legs and core.  I have a history of back surgery, so I want to work on that just enough to find out where my hands will give out.  With a max of 303 DOH axle (and deadlift), I think I am close but not there yet.

I agree with the sentiments above that anvils are cool and I really want to try more of them just for fun.  Along the same lines, I like the 2.5 jug, V-bar, and various anvils and anvil trainers that I have tried, as these vertical lifts and anvils all seem like similar muscles are engaged and those efforts feel different than the crush, pinch, and thick bar.

For wrist, I feel inadequate and inexperienced here.  I have a 6 and an 8 sledge and I am beginning to try more things with them.  The sledges do seem like ideal tools for wrist work, and if I have any questions about that I know who to text ...  I have also enjoyed Anton's home-made wrist-roller, a barbell with a hole in it to thread rope to suspend weight.  We've done a few different angles with that, and it seems like a great wrist and forearm workout.

I also have a bit of an affection for the novelty lifts, for their geekiness and variety.  Inch pinch, coin pinches, even -- dare I say -- moontop.  And everything on the Dube Cube.

• Like 3

I can only use what I have :)

Thick bar: fat gripz and Rolling thunder

Pinch: 2" aluminum block

Crush: Silver bullet, RB adjustable and CoC 1.5 to 3

Wrist: homemade 2 3/8" wrist wrench and sledge

Implements I'd like to own are: Napalm's nightmare with all the handles, Saxon bar, Flask and Inch dumbbell. 

Just now, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

I can only use what I have :)

Thick bar: fat gripz and Rolling thunder

Pinch: 2" aluminum block

Crush: Silver bullet, RB adjustable and CoC 1.5 to 3

Wrist: homemade 2 3/8" wrist wrench and sledge

Implements I'd like to own are: Napalm's nightmare with all the handles, Saxon bar, Flask and Inch dumbbell. 

What you have is definitely sufficient 

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

What you have is definitely sufficient 

I agree 100%. I can get to world level with the stuff I have, but as they say, variety is the spice of life :D

• Like 1

For me my current favorites are:

- Saxon Bar

- Saxon Pivot Top

- Loadable Inch Handle

- Crusher

- Un-named Prototype I have been testing with for a few months.

Edit: As to the why, With these I feel I can hit most areas of my grip as well as some carryover to gripper crush strength and some wrist planes. While also enjoying my time training.

- Saxon bar offers many options beyond just DL including oly type work, curls, front raises, etc. 

- Saxon Pivot top easily allows me to do one or 2 hand pinch work as well as some wrist work and doesn't bother my back as much when it is bugging me since I don't have to do a full DL.

- Loadble Inch handle, I do DL's, Rows, clean and press, Farmers walk, toss and catch. Not boring and just works. Being able to microload is key compared to my Inch Replica.

- FBBC Crusher - Just works, bomb proof

- Un-named Prototype, really enjoy working with this thing. Almost ready to release it. Just want to do a couple more prototypes to work on manufacturing method. Use it to help my grippers, as well as my wrist flexors weekly.

Edited by acorn
Adding why
  • Like 2

FAT GRIPZ (Extreme)

the cheapest and best grip equipment in the world! You can put it on every dumbbell or barbell in the gym, or pull up bar. All around Grip strength is the result. If i have to choose - this is the only equipment you need for a powerful grip.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

I view grip as a competitive endeavor. I wouldn't bother training like I do otherwise. As such I think you need to have the equipment being contested. Also, having many different implements to train on in hopes of besting others is great fun. The minimalist mode of training described by some in this thread seems more an ascetic pursuit than fun in my opinion.

My favorite equipment list: CTS Saxon bar, FBBC Crusher, FBBC vertical bar, FBBC Pro Dumbbell trainers, IM Anvil, AASS Napalm's Nightmare (I'd get the pinches too), & BSS Tips Tester.

The point of the thread was to make the point that one can get a world class grip without having the  dozens upon dozens of implements.Grip training and competition can be daunting to many newcomers because of the numerous pieces of equipment and how every comp has a new piece or two that they feel they have to buy to be competitive . We all would love to have every piece for the fun of it, and to compare ourselves to others, but many budgets do not allow for that.

So, the next best thing to having every single piece of equipment under the sun is to have the basic things that will work the grip and body hard without breaking the bank and getting the most out of your time. Then maybe acquire little by little what they want as the budget allows. 

Now, for myself? I have just about everything under the sun, and then some. What I listed in the above (my original post) are the things that I feel are the most beneficial to attaining a WCG without breaking the bank too badly. 

17 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

I thought the point of the thread was to answer “what is my favorite grip equipment and why”.

My original post is for both. Got a DM from a new member  to start this thread. It’s favorite and most affective grip implements as well as info showing newcomers that they don’t  need  everything under the sun to achieve a world class grip. I will edit the title as I didn’t add that in. Thanks @WestSlope

• 1 month later...

Lately (last 2 months) all I have been using is:

2" axle for deadlifting and rows

2.375" wrist wrench

Adjustable Pinch Device

Loadable Sledgehammer

I will occasionally run through my collection of grippers by hitting singles and see which one stops me.  Normally after several sets of squats.  

The loadable sledge is a bit of a secret design that I will be revealing in the next few weeks, it is intended to assist with the crush on grippers.  @Joseph Sullivan, I think you will appreciate the design when I get the video ready.

I have the means and knowledge to make pretty much anything I want but I've realized it's best to keep things simple.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

Lately (last 2 months) all I have been using is:

2" axle for deadlifting and rows

2.375" wrist wrench

Adjustable Pinch Device

Loadable Sledgehammer

I will occasionally run through my collection of grippers by hitting singles and see which one stops me.  Normally after several sets of squats.  

The loadable sledge is a bit of a secret design that I will be revealing in the next few weeks, it is intended to assist with the crush on grippers.  @Joseph Sullivan, I think you will appreciate the design when I get the video ready.

I have the means and knowledge to make pretty much anything I want but I've realized it's best to keep things simple.  

YESSSS!!!! Simplicity is where it’s at.

Need to define World Class Grip before you can start anywhere...what is the measurement you are using to determine that? Feats? Objective measures? Someone may be world class in one aspect of grip and not in the others but does that make them overall world class; I don't consider myself world class overall instead only in vbar lifts and pinching (1HP mainly)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucasraymond said:

Need to define World Class Grip before you can start anywhere...what is the measurement you are using to determine that? Feats? Objective measures? Someone may be world class in one aspect of grip and not in the others but does that make them overall world class; I don't consider myself world class overall instead only in vbar lifts and pinching (1HP mainly)

Lucas, your wrist strength is World Class, too!!  I recently did my contest -which had the sledge hammer choke lift- Your first place number is so far ahead that it has to be world class,IMO. Plus, your pickaxe lift is very siick!

1 hour ago, Lucasraymond said:

The tools needed to get a world class grip would have to hit the aspects of all the main things tested for grip for a world class grip definition . Pinch, wrist, thick bar, rolling handle, vertical bar or crush. The tools that can get you to the world class grip that are minimally needed without having to get every piece of equipment under the sun. In my opinion, things that cover all of those aspects  as far as pieces of equipment are concerned. As far as what classifies a world class grip? I would say.... 

220 or over on rolling thunder

200 or Over on 2.5 inch crusher 

300 or above on V bar 2 inch 

400 or above on a 2 inch axle

100 or above on a one hand pinch 

220 or above on a 2 hands pinch 

closing a number 3 or above with a CCS

20 pound strict lever of a sledgehammer 

please chime in on what you all think is a world class grip on certain items we all contest in. Very fun conversation to see what everyone thinks consists of world class.