What's the best way to improve your set?

yidmaster

Any opinions on the best way to get better at setting grippers? Not in terms of technique, but more so exercises and training methods. Recently I've given in and started using a braced set when attempting my GHP7, but I'd rather be able to set it properly. 

• Like 1

All upper body exercises, along with setting grippers. Thick bar training can help a bit but needs to be done in moderation not to kill gripper strength.

Bench press and sledge levering. You need a strong chest and the ability to transfer power across your wrist.  Shoulder stuff would likely help too.

• Like 1

Practicing with baraban or vulcan adjustable gripper (the kind with an extension spring) can be good too since resistance is higher at the start than a torsion spring gripper.

Set more grippers 👍that’s the training & that’s the test 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wobbler said:

Practicing with baraban or vulcan adjustable gripper (the kind with an extension spring) can be good too since resistance is higher at the start than a torsion spring gripper.

That and the spread of the vulcan is crazy

On 5/11/2019 at 10:04 AM, yidmaster said:

Any opinions on the best way to get better at setting grippers? Not in terms of technique, but more so exercises and training methods. Recently I've given in and started using a braced set when attempting my GHP7, but I'd rather be able to set it properly. 

The real focus needs to be on exactly the set itself.  Because it is EXACTLY what you need to do.  There is nothing to substitute for that.  The best closers have always been the best setters if you ask me.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 11:04 AM, yidmaster said:

Have you seen the video Tanner made? I’m by no means good at grippers but that video added a few pounds to my close just by helping me figure out the set.

47 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

Have you seen the video Tanner made? I’m by no means good at grippers but that video added a few pounds to my close just by helping me figure out the set.

I couldn't see it on his youtube, do you have a link? 

It's been stated by a few other members here, I'll add my input as well. Long story shot, just work the set. No closes, only the set.

The best method for getting better at the set is by practicing your set by performing it with grippers you can handle and one's that are above your current level. Take a light gripper and you'll get it down to range you're going to work. A heavy gripper to challenge the set and attempt to get a better performance in relation to where your current working gripper is at. Do not work closes when attempting to work you set.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, db2000 said:

I couldn't see it on his youtube, do you have a link? 

This is a link to his post: 

The thread is a wealth of information as well

• Thanks 1