Does anybody wash built up chalk off of grip implements?

FrankSobotka

This might sound like a stupid question but  bear with me. 

I’ve started to notice on my Napalms Nightmare handles that where my hands touch a lot, the chalk is a bit built up and kind of smooth. 

The parts where my hands don’t touch, and therefore no chalk builds up, are still very textured like they were when brand new. 

Any harm in washing the chalk off with water once and a while and re-applying it when I use them? 

Well sir, that is part of this strange game we call grip.  There is nothing wrong with washing your implements, and myself and others have experimented with vinegar baths, rubbing alcohol, and other stuff to clean implements.  Be careful with vinegar as it will make low carbon steels rust.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, acorn said:

Only Ironmind

My hub was the first thing I washed off. Didn’t notice much difference after another few uses. 

13 minutes ago, Adam Juncker said:

Well sir, that is part of this strange game we call grip.  There is nothing wrong with washing your implements, and myself and others have experimented with vinegar baths, rubbing alcohol, and other stuff to clean implements.  Be careful with vinegar as it will make low carbon steels rust.  

That makes me feel better that I’m not the only one probably overthinking things

I have two steel climber pinches, and an aluminum blob trainer all self made. All sand blasted finish. I find that over time they start to get really slick where I grab them. I've tried wire brushing the chalk off without much difference. I think it must be also from the oils in my hands. Simply sandblasting them makes them feel great again. Not a very practical solution for most however.

• Like 1

Rock climbers have a solution for this! Especially in indoor gyms chalk can build up quickly and make the holds difficult to hold onto. The solution is essentially to brush it off with a coarse toothbrush. Friction Labs did a write up about "Why Do Rock Climbers Brush Holds?", and I think the same logic applies to grip equipment. Additionally it makes for silly videos like this one. Some chalk is nice, a lot of chalk can be good, but too much is too much. All of my grip equipment has less than a year's worth of chalk imbedded into it, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to brush it off if the chalk builds up enough that it starts to flake off. 

• Like 1

Try a plastic bristle brush first, if that doesn't do enough then wipe with a rag and rubbing alchohol.

• Like 2

I tend to see how the implement feels on the day I use it and determine if it needs to be wiped clean or if more chalk is needed. I'm in the Northeast - really hot/humid in the summer and cold/dry in the winter so the feel can change season to season. There are no problems cleaning the chalk off of implements as you see fit in training. In contests, just be aware of the rules for that venue. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrankD said:

I tend to see how the implement feels on the day I use it and determine if it needs to be wiped clean or if more chalk is needed. I'm in the Northeast - really hot/humid in the summer and cold/dry in the winter so the feel can change season to season. There are no problems cleaning the chalk off of implements as you see fit in training. In contests, just be aware of the rules for that venue. 

I’m right there with you! Gonna have to start running the dehumidifiers soon 

• Like 1

Absolutely, too much chalk will make the implement slippery. I think it's very important on grippers. A clean gripper with well lubricated spring, like they are when you buy them from CPW is the best. It will make a big difference.

On pinch block I only clean them when I feel that it starts to become difficult to apply chalk.

• Like 2