Unofficial world record double sledgehammer lever

Mike - Slim definitely was taller than me but he didn't seem 4" taller - if you look at our shoulders in the mirror - it seems more obvious that he is taller.

17 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

A few random comments concerning Slim based on conversations with him 2006-2012:

I looked up something (conversation with him in 2012) and saw that at the 2010 AOBS Dinner (his last performance there, Age 76) he said there were 53 pounds on his contraption, and that he was training for the contest with 57 pounds. He said he would never perform if he was working with less than 50 lbs.

He said that The Atom taught him "panache", which seemed to be his word for showmanship. It was all about making things look easier than they were, not harder. In 2009, he was complaining to me that Stanless Steel would go beyond his own limits in a performance, and Slim did not approve of that approach. He said Stanley said something like "but Slim, no one wants to see someone easily lift something", to which Slim stated in a rather intense and loud manner "Yeah, but Stanley, can't you do something IN BETWEEN??!" 

Slim was an honest performer. Any grunts or staggers or pain/grimaces were not for show, they were real/authentic. Yes, with his height, long arms, training, and experience, it looked pretty dramatic, which was why he was the last of the Old Time Showmen, having come into the field a full generation after those who preceded him. 

I have watched 4 of those 6 recent videos, and they make me sad. Much of his macho swagger is gone, his memory is shot, and he was repeating himself quite a bit. Still, I appreciate being made aware of their existence, enjoyed them, and will watch all 6 of them. 

I do not believe, despite his saying he was 6 feet 8 plus, that he was ever that tall. In the mid-2000's, when I saw him the most, and he was in his mid-70s, he was probably 6 5"...in 2006, a young man who was 6’3” insisted to my son and I that Slim was under 6 ft 5; he was a kid hanging out in the hotel lobby who had joined those of us with Slim, who was doing a good job of Holding Court for a few hours.

Nice story there Mike! But to address the bold statement, I am not sure what his height really was. But we stop producing growth hormones at a certain age and we shrink. What do I know for a fact is my grandfather was 5'9" and he is 5'3" now. He is over 83 now. Maybe it differs from some people to another?

It definitely differs from person to person. In Slim’s case, there are many articles going back over 30 years saying he was 6 ft 6. Out of nowhere 6 ft 8 is mentioned as  a navy uniform not being available for him. 

Edit: Found an article written in 1979 by AOBS Founder Vic Boff describing Slim as 6 ft 6. There was no bigger supporter of Slim than Vic...

Edited by Hubgeezer

4 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Nice story there Mike! But to address the bold statement, I am not sure what his height really was. But we stop producing growth hormones at a certain age and we shrink. What do I know for a fact is my grandfather was 5'9" and he is 5'3" now. He is over 83 now. Maybe it differs from some people to another?

The shrinking part is due to the loss of hydration between the intervertebral discs in the spine . It gets dessicated, causing them to compress. That is where the loss of height comes from. It is not from lack of growth hormones in the body. It’s due to loss of height of the disc. We are not really “shrinking”. If the discs were rehydrated, our height would be the same as it was before. 

2 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

It definitely differs from person to person. In Slim’s case, there are many articles going back over 30 years saying he was 6 ft 6. Out of nowhere 6 ft 8 is mentioned as  a navy uniform not being available for him. 

Edit: Found an article written in 1979 by AOBS Founder Vic Boff describing Slim as 6 ft 6. There was no bigger supporter of Slim than Vic...

If he was 6’8 I don’t think he would be allowed in the military. I think 6’8 is above the height limit for the navy. 80 inches or 6’6 is the limit.

Joe, that was a legendary lever, especially with the weights so precariously attached! Easily one of the top feats of strength I've seen here.

Most all "critics" are going to have zero notable feats or even training videos of their own and none will be able to approach your lever if you call them on it. Funny how that works.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, odin said:

Joe, that was a legendary lever, especially with the weights so precariously attached! Easily one of the top feats of strength I've seen here.

Most all "critics" are going to have zero notable feats or even training videos of their own and none will be able to approach your lever if you call them on it. Funny how that works.

Wow, Bob! Coming from you that is quite APPRECIATED! Thanks! You are a legend yourself brother!

You know, I try to find something positive to say about Everyone who has the courage to post something here. In this internet environment, people seem to always point out negative, which is ok, since I am my own biggest critic, but don’t say anything positive about someone’s feat or lift. I think that may be why more people don’t post videos, which I find very motivating and enjoy seeing. This is what we like to do, and I  love to see all levels of accomplishment . More people need to post, as it makes the grip board more enjoyable.

As for The ones that have negative to say all the time... you hit the nail right on the head,  my friend! 

Joe 

Will there be rules to follow in the performance of this lift?  Will this feat be named? ie; "The Dbl Sledge Hammer Leverage."  An example of the performance rule may be;  to get the hammers in the leverage position any way you can and lower to the head with straight arms parallel to the floor? Or, another example will follow the more strict Farman way of starting from the floor?  I am asking this based on the rules of the many Feat lifts that do have guidelines  in the Community Records and Stats forum.  Maybe this should fall to the Moderators to give an answer or ignore. Either way

The only Sledge Hammer feat I found was for the Sledge Hammer coin lift.

30 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

Will there be rules to follow in the performance of this lift?  Will this feat be named? ie; "The Dbl Sledge Hammer Leverage."  An example of the performance rule may be;  to get the hammers in the leverage position any way you can and lower to the head with straight arms parallel to the floor? Or, another example will follow the more strict Farman way of starting from the floor?  I am asking this based on the rules of the many Feat lifts that do have guidelines  in the Community Records and Stats forum.  Maybe this should fall to the Moderators to give an answer or ignore. Either way

The only Sledge Hammer feat I found was for the Sledge Hammer coin lift.

IMO it should be for max double lever to the face.  Weighed on camera, gotten to the shoulder height by your own power, no wrist wraps of any kind, 32 inch standard length of hammers or NO counter weights for balance. Arms as level as possible.

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

IMO it should be for max double lever to the face.  Weighed on camera, gotten to the shoulder height by your own power, no wrist wraps of any kind, 32 inch standard length of hammers or counter weights for balance. Arms as level as possible.

Agreed. 

I dont have any sledgehammers so I will get started with two Olympic barbells hahaahah

Rules

Axes will be laid 400 meters from the contestant - contestant mus reach the handles within 60 seconds

Arms must be straight

Hands must be higher than the forehead - higher the better

No sledges - only razor sharp axes - sharp sides towards the head

Must be "dropped" 3/4 of the way to the head - no helmets allowed.  Bouncing off the forehead is allowed.  No spotters

Handles must be greased where gripped - extra points if ground glass is embedded in the grease

Extra points for excess bleeding

:)

Edited by climber511
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Rules

Axes will be laid 400 meters from the contestant - contestant mus reach the handles within 60 seconds

Arms must be straight

Must be "dropped" 3/4 of the way to the head - no helmets allowed.  Bouncing off the forehead is allowed.  No spotters

Handles must be greased where gripped - extra points if ground glass is embedded in the grease

I like your style, Chris!

17 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Rules

Arms must be straight

That reminds me of Mike Krahling.  That crazy sumgun used to balance an apple on his forehead and  lever an axe down real fast to split it.  I remember him going slightly too far at Beast in the East one year and splitting his forehead open.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

Rules

Arms must be straight

These would have to be tweaked a little bit. But it's a start

Tremendous levering Joe 💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

The shrinking part is due to the loss of hydration between the intervertebral discs in the spine . It gets dessicated, causing them to compress. That is where the loss of height comes from. It is not from lack of growth hormones in the body. It’s due to loss of height of the disc. We are not really “shrinking”. If the discs were rehydrated, our height would be the same as it was before. 

Not sure about the science behind it but there is shrinking. Marriage ring doesn't fit. Old cloth doesn't fit. Sand boots which where up to his knee's almost now is way bigger and goes to the thighs, old watches not wearable. Weight loss (as in A LOT). Its not only height. Whatever we call it, its a new body.

32 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Not sure about the science behind it but there is shrinking. Marriage ring doesn't fit. Old cloth doesn't fit. Sand boots which where up to his knee's almost now is way bigger and goes to the thighs, old watches not wearable. Weight loss (as in A LOT). Its not only height. Whatever we call it, its a new body.

Degenerative changes. Joint degeneration. Hormonal decreases. Lack of physical training to maintain muscle mass. The body should not change as much as it does if one trains daily. Most people let this happen by lack of activity.

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Degenerative changes.

Sounds like an heavy metal song :laugh

Hi everyone

So, at the end of the day, I want to give all the thanks and respect in the world to Slim the Hammer Man Farman for his world record and for lighting the fire under me to want to chase his record. Whether I break the record officially or not, remains to be seen, and if I don’t, I will still be satisfied, as this is all a hobby for me and for fun. Being strong is in my DNA. If I didn’t enjoy it, I would not do it. I am not in the business of downplaying anyone’s records or by any means saying I am the best at anything or to try to make anyone else look bad. 

The record  still belongs to the Hammer man, and if I do get to the point of trying it officially, it would be an honor to attempt it with Slim present himself as a dedication to thank him for sparking my interest in this game.

Joe

21 hours ago, king crusher said:

I dont have any sledgehammers so I will get started with two Olympic barbells hahaahah

I have 2 sledgehammers but I’ll get started with 2 sticks I find in the yard 

• Haha 3

For Joe Sullivan,

Joe, what is the measurement (inches) between the two pinned hammers you are using? I am thinking of throwing together a rig to see what this movement feels like. Of course, nothing in your weight neighborhood. I have not even worked with a single hammer in years so it will be rigged fairly light but loadable as well. 

Lucas Raymond has a slick looking double sledge loadable rig on the Assassin website. It could be modified to 31 inches which is an option.

Edited by Rick Browne

15 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

For Joe Sullivan,

Joe, what is the measurement (inches) between the two pinned hammers you are using? I am thinking of throwing together a rig to see what this movement feels like. Of course, nothing in your weight neighborhood. I have not worked with a single hammer in years so it will be rigged fairly light but loadable as well. 

Lucas Raymond has a slick looking double sledge loadable rig on the Assassin website. It could be modified to 31 inches which is an option.

I will tell you later.

34 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

For Joe Sullivan,

Joe, what is the measurement (inches) between the two pinned hammers you are using? I am thinking of throwing together a rig to see what this movement feels like. Of course, nothing in your weight neighborhood. I have not worked with a single hammer in years so it will be rigged fairly light but loadable as well. 

Are you talking about this device? From arm assassin?

28951241-A211-4F84-B40B-87209CA6DFB1.png