Unofficial world record double sledgehammer lever

18 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I wrote an article for MILO on Slim, it was in a 2011 issue. By far, the best article I wrote on strength stuff. 

Slim was an extremely difficult interview. He tells you what he wants to tell you, and the stories are pretty long. You have to weed through your notes to get to the exact numbers. In 2011 Slim was inducted into the York Hall of Fame. Dennis Rogers introduced him. It is in three parts on Youtube.  Much of what Dennis was saying was EXACTLY as Slim told me. I emailed Dennis, told him I was finishing my article, and I wanted him to know that I was not plagiarizing his speech, but all the information and stories were identical. He got a chuckle out of that.

I have seen Slim perform on at least three occasions at the annual AOBS dinner, the last time was in 2010, when he was 76 years old. His floor to stand to levering up and down total that night was a shade over 50 pounds. He told me his best (not an officially sanctioned World Record) was 69 1/2 pounds. That was exactly what Dennis says on the video in York in Slim's introduction. Slim said he was disappointed, because his goal was 70 pounds, and he never did get it.

For the record, the hammers are pinned towards the bottom of the handles. 

Dennis Rogers said the same on the 69 pound lever. Said the old-timers chose a weight they knew they could do very easily for records with the 56 LB MSG . As far as them being pinned, Is the bottom of the handle referred to as under the hammerhead? Or where the handle is grabbed To actually do the lever?

Edited by Guest

I don't know much about the record itself, but I do know that what you did in the video is damn-strong my friend!!  Very cool to see modern guys tackling classic feats.

Nice job Joe

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Frank Pizzo said:

I don't know much about the record itself, but I do know that what you did in the video is damn-strong my friend!!  Very cool to see modern guys tackling classic feats.

Nice job Joe

Thanks Frank! I tried to react but it says I’m out of reactions for the day. The current record, held since 1975 is 56 pounds by the great Slim the hammerman Farman 

Found this six part video on YouTube interviewing Slim. It was filmed about 6mo ago.

Guys hands look long as heck.

https://youtu.be/3XTW8xvYRK4

Edited by king crusher
  • Like 1

Hey Joe,

Thank you for the verification. I believe you are good for higher weight too. I believe you can bust that 70 lb that eluded Farman.... 

What is that saying; "You can believe an Irishman, but get verification"  😃

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

Hey Joe,

Thank you for the verification. I believe you are good for higher weight too. I believe you can bust that 70 lb that eluded Farman.... 

I never heard that one! That’s good! Thanks for the vote of confidence. 👍🏻

Back

Back when I joined the Gripboard (2001) until present day, I do not recall anyone stating that Farman's Hammers were pinned on the Gboard. I know I never knew about it until today. If it were mentioned in a thread at sometime, then I missed it. I do not think anyone thought of pinned hammers. Anyway, I am glad the issue is cleared up and I am a learned man with this particular feat. Also, as we have a member here that will one day surpass any weight Farman has ever done (referring to the post up top mentioning the 69.5 lb). How cool is that? 

Just For kicks, here is a vid I found with Farman doing the Crucifixion feat with 18.6 lb hammers.  ( I figured 18.6 by dividing the 578 inch lb by 31) The 578 inch lb. was mentioned by the announcer

Edited by Rick Browne

3 hours ago, Rick Browne said:

Hey Joe,

I always heard that saying with the word “Frenchman” 

26 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Wow. Thanks for posting that.

No problem, you're welcome.  You might have to search for the other five but I found them all. It's like a two hour interview!

Edited by king crusher

The hammers are pinned in two locations...one right below the head and the other just above the leather wraps in the handles. Can be seen clear as day in the photo below. 

Bending_Steel_9.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lucasraymond said:

The hammers are pinned in two locations...one right below the head and the other just above the leather wraps in the handles. Can be seen clear as day in the photo below. 

Bending_Steel_9.jpg

💯 Luke. Thanks! Some here were saying they weren’t pinned if you happened to read back a bit. Actually had to ask Dennis Rogers for clarification.

18 hours ago, Rick Browne said:

I as well, have sent a message to John Wood and asked him for any info that he may have on the topic.  He is the owner of the site www.oldtimestrongman.com

HaHaHa.  Ask him to farmers walk the milleniums and sell another video about Joe Kinney squatting 440 for 50 reps every morning.  HAHAHA

This is like asking Baghdad Bob to confirm how the first Gulf War was going. 

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

Bending_Steel_9.jpg

Why are you letting facts get in the way of Old Man Strongman Folklore?  You are banned from the IronMind site for disparaging a legend!  :trout

BTW, Slim is JACKED & TAN!!!!  Dude looks like he is made of steel cables in that photo. 

Joe, I'd like to see how you do after training this for a month or so.  I'd also like to see you do it with 31" handles, counter weight knobs on the ends of the handles (moved the center of gravity down a couple inches at least, choked up an inch due to the knobs, and wearing STIFF leather wrist braces.  I'm guessing you are good for 70.

Slim was a beast.  Definitely the greatest hammer guy in history (soon to be replaced I believe).  However, let's all not forget that at the end of the day Slim was a showman.  An old time strongman.  He was about putting on a great show by making a feat look harder than it was.  Not saying what he did wasn't hard.  It was brutally hard.  But  56 lbs with that set up and wrist braces is not 56 lbs like Joe did it.  Once Joe gets used to this, I have no doubt he will be able to lift his arms a little higher and smash this record.  I would venture to guess that if he was loaned Slim's hammers right this second, he would destroy it today. 

Edited by Mike Rinderle

5 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Joe, I'd like to see how you do after training this for a month or so.  I'd also like to see you do it with 31" handles, counter weight knobs on the ends or the handles (moved the center of gravity down a couple inches at least, choked up an inch due to the knobs, and wearing STIFF leather wrist braces.  I'm guessing you are good for 70.

Slim was a beast.  Definitely the greatest hammer guy in history (soon to be replaced I believe).  However, let's all not forget that at the end of the day Slim was a showman.  An old time strongman.  He was about putting on a great show by making a feat look harder than it was.  Not saying what he did wasn't hard.  It was brutally hard.  But  56 lbs with that set up and wrist braces is not 56 lbs like Joe did it.  Once Joe gets used to this, I have no doubt he will be able to lift his arms a little higher and smash this record.  I would venture to guess that if he was loaned Slim's hammers right this second, he would destroy it today. 

Better to have someone else say it than me.... thanks Michael.

With all respect to those who have come before us.... they are the ones who piqued our interest in this game, and I thank you, from all of us! 

4 hours ago, king crusher said:

Joe should visit slim. Make it happen.

I would love to! Dennis Rogers Himself said he is impressed with the lever and that just to hold it up there is a feat, and that Slim himself would be proud and shake my hand! That meant a lot!

5 minutes ago, Gripgoals said:

Dentists out there hoping more people try this

Takes a lot of control. I know exactly when to bail and when it’s not wise to continue. It’s a developed skill. Never have I ever come close to having my teeth or head compromised. Even if I couldn’t make the lift, the hammers would be slowed down enough to just lightly touch my head. If anyone gets up to any appreciable amount of weight, they too would have developed that skill.

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Takes a lot of control. I know exactly when to bail and when it’s not wise to continue. It’s a developed skill. Never have I ever come close to having my teeth or head compromised. Even if I couldn’t make the lift, the hammers would be slowed down enough to just lightly touch my head. If anyone gets up to any appreciable amount of weight, they too would have developed that skill.

Yea man this looks like just as much of a core/shoulder workout as it does a grip/wrist workout

13 minutes ago, Gripgoals said:

Yea man this looks like just as much of a core/shoulder workout as it does a grip/wrist workout

100% it is. Wrist is only one component.

Just wear a full face football helmet and allow it to hit you for an added level of awwwwww!!! Would take it to the next level for my viewing pleasure at least lol

Oh a lot was going on here! First well done my brother and friend Joseph. You did great!!! And for the people who didn't speak there mind, yes having the hammers lower is a bit easier, but that is his first time with not so tight bolts. Joseph will get the 70 for sure. And yes guys I have Slim the hammer man Farmann DVD. He is STRONG and legit. Didn't claim anything out of this world. After all, he was swinging hammer 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. And yes the hammers were pinned in the DVD. He was 6'6" tall and have very wide hands and STRONG. Once he and Clay Edgin (a CoC #4 closer) had handshake war. Neither won despite clay being much younger (but hey handshake strength is not grip strength, it's hand anatomy mostly). Shows how strong he is. But Joseph here showed dominance. One thing is my concern, did Slim lever the hammers on his WR from the floor? I can't seem to remember that. If yes that is super strong!

On 5/2/2019 at 10:53 PM, king crusher said:

What's the story on this slim guy? Looks like an old auto mechanic or something in that pic. Good triceps too lol

He is a legend. A real living legend. Very strong in hammers.

On 5/3/2019 at 4:32 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

HaHaHa.  Ask him to farmers walk the milleniums and sell another video about Joe Kinney squatting 440 for 50 reps every morning.  HAHAHA

This is like asking Baghdad Bob to confirm how the first Gulf War was going. 

Sorry brother you got it wrong. He squatted 440 for 60 reps! A feat that might be replicated by the mighty hulk.

On 5/3/2019 at 6:25 PM, king crusher said:

Joe should visit slim. Make it happen.

I totally agree!

• Like 4