Unofficial world record double sledgehammer lever

17 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I grew up on The Mighty Atom and Slim - they were my heros.  But by no means do I think their records are unbeatable - honestly I didn't expect to see Slim's  lift from the floor and then levered to the head beaten in my lifetime but I can see Joe doing the Lever to the head part before long.  I have no idea if he is even training for the first half of Slims floor to vertical part.  Joe's is the first person I have seen that I think has a chance at it lately.  At Gripmas (maybe 2011) - I had a supported double lever with a couple guys going very big but as far as I know never pursued Slim's records. Good Luck to you Big Joe!

Hey Chris, was the WR in 1975 of the 56 pounds done with the floor component? Or was it done as a max lever for the record books to the face. 

19 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Hey Chris, was the WR in 1975 of the 56 pounds done with the floor component? Or was it done as a max lever for the record books to the face. 

As far as I know (and I don't know positively) all of Slim's lifts were with both parts.

1 minute ago, climber511 said:

As far as I know (and I don't know positively) all of Slim's lifts were with both parts.

I ran out of reactions for the day to like your post. I would like to know for certain. There is not much on it out there.

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I ran out of reactions for the day to like your post. I would like to know for certain. There is not much on it out there.

Joe - I don't know who to ask?  Dennis Rodgers would know I bet.

1 minute ago, climber511 said:

Joe - I don't know who to ask?  Dennis Rodgers would know I bet.

I sent him a message. Waiting for a reply 

59 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

As soon as you contact D Rogers, ( the sooner the better) the question will be answered.  I was not being divisive about your hammer feat. I am only interested in the difference in performing the  feat using pinned hammers and hammers that are free form as in the Farman posted video.  The picture of  Slim's  Hammers with the bolt; I can not tell if there is an extension of the bolt going through the hammer in his right hand to make it pinned to the hammer in his left hand.  Anyway, my question for me `to ponder, is whether 2 free hammers doing this feat are comparable as doing it with pinned hammers...... or vice versa

19 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Jedd Johnson lent me these hammers to try. Wanted to see if I could meet or exceed the 56 pound double hammers with 31 inch handles  world record (in Guinness) by Slim “HAMMER MAN” Farman. The weight attempted is 61.4 pounds with 32 inch handles. Attempted weight 2x and got it both times after 47 pounds x6. Did not use any body movement or tap my head. 

Have to get bigger bolts to fit the weight on to secure it. Weight was teetering and not secure. Had I treat it carefully so they didn’t fall off.

Here is the weight 

here is 47 pounds x6

37 x 10

Finished the workout with double 12 pound farmers walks

Another video of the Weight of the hammers 

Joe, that's a CRAZY strong lift!

I just viewed his picture. I see now the mechanism of which you pointed out. Could that be a spacer type device clamped on to allow for plate separation but does not pin the hammers as one solid unit? Any engineers? in the crowd

slim.jpg

16 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

As soon as you contact D Rogers, ( the sooner the better) the question will be answered.  I was not being divisive about your hammer feat. I am only interested in the difference in performing the  feat using pinned hammers and hammers that are free form as in the Farman posted video.  The picture of  Slim's  Hammers with the bolt; I can not tell if there is an extension of the bolt going through the hammer in his right hand to make it pinned to the hammer in his left hand.  Anyway, my question for me `to ponder, is whether 2 free hammers doing this feat are comparable as doing it with pinned hammers...... or vice versa

You can clearly see as other posters mentioned that their is a bolt as well as a circular thin wire wrapped around the handles of the hammer. He did the WR with the hammers pinned. It would be vastly harder, in my experience of leveling heavy hammers, to lever that much weight independently. The timing and control needed to have it be precise would be insane. I usually do crucifix style and have done double 21.5 pounders. No way anyone is doing 56 or 61 pounds in either style without the pinned handles.

3 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

I just viewed this picture and I see the device you pointed out

ICould that be a spacer type device clamped on to allow for plate separation but does not pin the hammers as one solid unit? Any engineers? in the crowd

slim.jpg

Edited by Rick Browne

10 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

I just viewed his picture. I see now the mechanism of which you pointed out. Could that be a spacer type device clamped on to allow for plate separation but does not pin the hammers as one solid unit? Any engineers? in the crowd

slim.jpg

It’s a device to hold it together. See how perfectly even they are when they are lowered? Perfectly symmetrical side by side. That’s a device to pin it, as evidenced by his actual videos of having pinned hammers. Too bad there is no video to review. It’s obvious they are pinned. Anyway you wanna slice it, I did that  after a full COC 3 workout for no set reps and all those other sets of levering. And doing 2 separate reps with the 61.4 . I’d say the volume I did before it alone would make me do an even better one more fresh.

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

It’s a device to hold it together. See how perfectly even they are when they are lowered? Perfectly symmetrical side by side. That’s a device to pin it, as evidenced by his actual videos of having pinned hammers. Too bad there is no video to review. It’s obvious they are pinned.

And I see that the space between the handles of his hands is narrower in relation to the  space where the device is located under the hammer heads. Therefore, it leads me to believe it is a type of spacer device that he laid on there to allow room for the plates to clear of each other.  I now digress

Edited by Rick Browne

Just now, Rick Browne said:

And I see that the space between the handles of his hands is narrower in relation to the  space where the device is location under the hammer heads. Therefore, it leads me to believe it is a type of spacer device that he laid on there to allow room for the plates to clear of each other.  I now digress

Text has been sent to Dennis Rogers. Hope to find out soon. 

4 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Text has been sent to Dennis Rogers. Hope to find out soon. 

I as well, have sent a message to John Wood and asked him for any info that he may have on the topic.  He is the owner of the site www.oldtimestrongman.com

9 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

I as well, have sent a message to John Wood and asked him for any info that he may have on the topic.  He is the owner of the site www.oldtimestrongman.com

Glad to see you’re as interested in finding out, truth as I am, rather than opinion. I see the pic on old time strongman is a painting and not much else more. Dennis would have the answer for sure! Thanks... whoever you are!

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

This is all I’ve found on the site.

F2A461C8-635A-4B0D-9C5E-08A7F0AB98FA.png

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

This is all I’ve found on the site.

Yes, not much to go on from the site itself. Maybe John (who was once a member here) can help out along with D Rogers input. I only have one 12 lb hammer so I can't answer my own damn question 😑

Edited by Rick Browne

1 minute ago, Rick Browne said:

Yes, Not much to go on 

Dennis is the answer as they are close friends and together quite often. 

What's the story on this slim guy? Looks like an old auto mechanic or something in that pic. Good triceps too lol

24 minutes ago, king crusher said:

What's the story on this slim guy? Looks like an old auto mechanic or something in that pic. Good triceps too lol

He was an old time stone  quarry man. Swung a hammer all day every day for his job and got into hammer feats. The original!

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

Yes, not much to go on from the site itself. Maybe John (who was once a member here) can help out along with D Rogers input. I only have one 12 lb hammer so I can't answer my own damn question 😑

Dennis Rogers confirms they were definitely pinned . The official  record is  56 pounds at MSG. 

Edited by Guest

I wrote an article for MILO on Slim, it was in a 2011 issue. By far, the best article I wrote on strength stuff. 

Slim was an extremely difficult interview. He tells you what he wants to tell you, and the stories are pretty long. You have to weed through your notes to get to the exact numbers. In 2011 Slim was inducted into the York Hall of Fame. Dennis Rogers introduced him. It is in three parts on Youtube.  Much of what Dennis was saying was EXACTLY as Slim told me. I emailed Dennis, told him I was finishing my article, and I wanted him to know that I was not plagiarizing his speech, but all the information and stories were identical. He got a chuckle out of that.

I have seen Slim perform on at least three occasions at the annual AOBS dinner, the last time was in 2010, when he was 76 years old. His floor to stand to levering up and down total that night was a shade over 50 pounds. He told me his best (not an officially sanctioned World Record) was 69 1/2 pounds. That was exactly what Dennis says on the video in York in Slim's introduction. Slim said he was disappointed, because his goal was 70 pounds, and he never did get it.

For the record, the hammers are pinned towards the bottom of the handles. 

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 3