Unofficial world record double sledgehammer lever

Jedd Johnson lent me these hammers to try. Wanted to see if I could meet or exceed the 56 pound double hammers with 31 inch handles  world record (in Guinness) by Slim “HAMMER MAN” Farman. The weight attempted is 61.4 pounds with 32 inch handles. Attempted weight 2x and got it both times after 47 pounds x6. Did not use any body movement or tap my head. 

Have to get bigger bolts to fit the weight on to secure it. Weight was teetering and not secure. Had I treat it carefully so they didn’t fall off.

Here is the weight 

here is 47 pounds x6

39.5 x 10

Finished the workout with double 12 pound farmers walks

Another video of the Weight of the hammers 

Edited by Guest

That is insane. I only played with some 10lbers once years ago and cant imagine this. Nice!

2 minutes ago, king crusher said:

That is insane. I only played with some 10lbers once years ago and cant imagine this. Nice!

Thank you KC!

That is tremendous wrist strength displayed Joe!! I cant imagine doing all of that work let alone the weights you are using.  You have hate the playa, hate the game strength.

19 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

That is tremendous wrist strength displayed Joe!! I cant imagine doing all of that work let alone the weights you are using.  You have hate the playa, hate the game strength.

Thanks Mikey! I don’t think people that don’t lever hammers can truly appreciate what’s being shown. Just like the lay man that doesn’t know how hard a hard gripper is. It’s a very under appreciated art. 

2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Thanks Mikey! I don’t think people that don’t lever hammers can truly appreciate what’s being shown. Just like the lay man that doesn’t know how hard a hard gripper is. It’s a very under appreciated art. 

That's me, I'm clueless about how this feels. But since I know your other lifts, and seeing the reactions from the other members, it must be insanely hard, so I congratulate you! :D 

Like I said earlier... approaching GOAT status!

19 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Like I said earlier... approaching GOAT status!

Thanks Mike! I think a call to the Guinness book of WRs is in my future.

Is there an advantage to having the hammers bolted together and lifting them as one unit? (Compared to Slim Farman's performing his double hammer lift with the hammers lifted individually )  Just curious about the physics of it that's all

3 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

Is there an advantage to having the hammers bolted together and lifting them as one unit? (Compared to Slim Farman's performing his double hammer lift with the hammers lifted individually )  Just curious about the physics of it that's all

I think his were also pinned together for the record. I’ve performed all other double hammers in the crucifix style with separate hammers out to the side. I am not sure if his hammers for the world record were pinned or not. Can someone clarify with proof?

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I think his were also pinned together for the record. I’ve performed all other double hammers in the crucifix style with separate hammers out to the side. I am not sure if his hammers for the world record were pinned or not. Can someone clarify with proof?

I have seen a couple of videos where he has the hammers placed on the floor one on each side with the heads facing backwards. He bends over grabs the handles pulls and slings them  into the up position , twisting the wrist to do so. Then he levers each one to his head at the same time. After the lever action he reverses the movement to lower the hammers to the floor position where he started.

1 hour ago, Rick Browne said:

I have seen a couple of videos where he has the hammers placed on the floor one on each side with the heads facing backwards. He bends over grabs the handles pulls and slings them  into the up position , twisting the wrist to do so. Then he levers each one to his head at the same time. After the lever action he reverses the movement to lower the hammers to the floor position where he started.

No, that is not the world record. His world record is with 56 pounds bro. He had them pinned together as this picture shows. Not even the Incredible Hulk is going to lever 56 pound total hammers in the other style you mentioned with the lifting from the floor. I don’t think that’s humanly possible. His hammers here are 31 inches and using wrist  wraps for support. He is the reason I got only hammers.

18A0C109-4FD0-4F1E-AD34-B75D2AEB4613.png

Edited by Guest
Spelling

13 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

No, that is not the world record. His world record is with 56 pounds bro. He had them pinned together as this picture shows. Not even the Incredible Hulk is going to lever 56 pound total hammers in the other style you mentioned with the lifting from the floor. I don’t think that’s humanly possible. His hammers here are 31 inches and using wide wraps for support. He is the reason I got only hammers.

18A0C109-4FD0-4F1E-AD34-B75D2AEB4613.png

I am trying to see where he has them pinned?  How does he have them pinned? Are they pinned under the heads? I can not tell. Are those not 20lb hammers with looks to be 7.5 lbs added and the loading studs would make up to the 28 lb weight? Help me out here 

Edited by Rick Browne

1 minute ago, Rick Browne said:

I am trying to see where he has them pinned?  How does he have them pinned? Are they pinned under the heads? I can not tell

Look at the top... there is a screw in the wood and the heads are held together by a mesh 

Here’s is a video with pinned hammers and a more close up of the previous. I’m almost certain he did the WR with pinned hammers 

D35CA517-224E-4EF6-94E7-58C4C8ABD634.png

C2C77CDB-3C41-4459-AA3A-8BD334D96C78.png

10 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

How much do the hammers weigh here, you think?

I always thought that this was his style of hammer leverage? 

3 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

I said no one is doing that style from the floor without pinned hammers at that much weight. 56 pounds total with individual hammers I would say is impossible to leverage with them being independent of pins from the floor. I would like to know beyond a shadow of a doubt . Does not seem to be any clear footage as it was done in 1975.

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

Those hammers he is crucifixing, hard to tell unless weighed. If they are 16s with weight added looks to be 20 something each. Can’t tell though. The heads look on the smaller side.

Edited by Guest

Ok . with respects to you,  I am of the opinion that Farman did not use pinned hammers. But I tell ya what, if Jedd Johnson sees this and gives his opinion that Farman's record was done with pinned hammers, I will be convinced...:)

9 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

Ok . with respects to you,  I am of the opinion that Farman did not use pinned hammers. But I tell ya what, if Jedd Johnson sees this and gives his opinion that Farman's record was done with pinned hammers, I will be convinced...:)

It’s not a matter of opinion. It’s a matter of what’s fact. I want the facts. Not an opinion. That is what I am asking. The photography is not clear and you can see screws and a mesh over the tops of the hammer heads, giving me the indication it was done with one unit with 2 hammers. Please clarify if you can or anyone else. Jedds or anyone else’s opinion is not going to answer the actual question of fact. This is my desire. I know, I will ask Dennis Rogers. He will know the answer. If you look at the black and white photo you can clearly see a bracket or something holding them together at the base of the heads. Look at the arrow I drew. There is a ring wrapped around the handles you can see on the front and through the handles to the back. 

FFBAA410-3747-43B8-9532-49A613AF47E5.png

Edited by Guest

I know, I will ask Dennis Rogers. He will know the answer.

That would be great. My opinion was based on what the pictures and video presented as facts to me. I can not decipher the pinning mechanism on the hammers that you are claiming is there. I hope you can get your facts from D Rogers

7 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

That would be great. My opinion was based on what the pictures and video presented as facts to me. I can not decipher the pinning mechanism on the hammers that you are claiming is there. I hope you can get your facts from D Rogers

I can definitely see something on the hammers. You’ve seen a video of the 56 pound WR? If so, please produce it. Would love to see. That would explain everything. I’ve only seen somewhat blurry photos from the crappy film of the time.

Edited by Guest

26 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

Jedd was the one that lent me the device to train with for the record. 

You can clearly see the bolt on his hammers. He used individual hammers as well for different feats, he also did everything since he invented most of the hammer movements. 

• Like 1