Best Grip Tools for World Class Grip Strength

Dbramb

As a beginner in grip sport, I am curious to get everyone's opinion on what you think are the best grip tools/implements on the market for buidling well-rounded, world class grip strength? 

• Like 1

Axle of 2 inch to 2.5 inch

2 hands pinch device of 2 inch to 2.5 inch in thickness.

sledgehammer for wrist strengthening in all directions. Can add weight to hammer by sliding weight up the handle and fastening with a fat grip

Grippers if you plan to compete, for a strong crush grip

a vertical bar or handle at least 2 inches in thickness.

You do not need much. The basics will cover most things. The little odd ball lifts and gadgets can be had if you plan to compete on them, but not necessary. If you focus on the meat and potatoes of thick bar, pinch, Crush, wrist and vertical bar, you are off to a great start. I actually think it’s counterproductive to have too many different devices to train on and lose focus. Build your program of the basics just like any other strength program and all else will fall into place. Especially if you’re doing heavy two hands grip lifts. You’ll Actually get the most bang for your buck and time.

Long before I ever heard of the GB (long before it existed) - I did a program called Power Forearms seriously (very seriously) to try and help my rock climbing.  On top of this I added heavy Finger Curls in the power rack.  I believe it set the stage for my entry to Grip Sport when I did discover Grip as a Sport.  And it required zero extra equipment over what might be found in a normal gym except for a single ended DB or a Sledge hammer.   It's not the equipment in the beginning while you are building the strength.  Only when you reach the point where you are developing specific techniques for the different lifts will will "need" those pieces of equipment.  I'll no doubt get some argument here but I still believe standard wrist curls (regular and behind the back) should be a part of every beginners program for the first several months.  You can find the Power Forearms program online I'm sure.  It's a HIT stype program - you have to add weight every time you make your reps - it can get pretty brutal.  But you'll get pretty strong too.  I would also recommend not even owning grippers for the first 6 months - they are too addictive and give too little in overall returns.  Save them for later. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Long before I ever heard of the GB (long before it existed) - I did a program called Power Forearms seriously (very seriously) to try and help my rock climbing.  On top of this I added heavy Finger Curls in the power rack.  I believe it set the stage for my entry to Grip Sport when I did discover Grip as a Sport.  And it required zero extra equipment over what might be found in a normal gym except for a single ended DB or a Sledge hammer.   It's not the equipment in the beginning while you are building the strength.  Only when you reach the point where you are developing specific techniques for the different lifts will will "need" those pieces of equipment.  I'll no doubt get some argument here but I still believe standard wrist curls (regular and behind the back) should be a part of every beginners program for the first several months.  You can find the Power Forearms program online I'm sure.  It's a HIT stype program - you have to add weight every time you make your reps - it can get pretty brutal.  But you'll get pretty strong too.  I would also recommend not even owning grippers for the first 6 months - they are too addictive and give too little in overall returns.  Save them for later. 

This is what you laid out a few years ago:

Synergy Forearms

Climbing will build some good climbing strength but it won’t translate all that well to other areas like grippers, Blobs etc – it won’t hurt anything but there are better ways for those things. As usual it comes down to what you want when you say “Stronger Grip”. Grip is kind of unique in that it has so many areas. Support – crush – pinch – wrist etc and each of them requires something a little different if you want to excel at the whole thing. 

But if you just want a good basic routine that’s easy enough – here’s one of many that works. Long before the Grip Board I was doing a routine I got from a Health For Life book called Synergy Forearms plus one other exercise. For climbing one of the big enemies is the forearm pump – this seemed to help develop the ability to work hard longer while pumped. 

• Wrist Curls – 6-8
• Reverse wrist curls 6-8
• Wrist Curls – 6-8
• Reverse wrist curls – 6-8
• Behind the back Wrist Curls -6-8
• Reverse curls -6-8
• Reverse curls -6-8
• SED Wrist Abductions -6-8 or higher
• SED Wrist Adductions - -6-8 or higher
• SED Wrist Twists -6-8 or higher
SED means Single End Dumbbell or something like sledge levering. Do this in a HIT manner – no rest between sets (set up a couple bars ahead of time) –go to failure towards the end - add weight when you can. Gives a huge pump and a balanced development that might help prevent injuries down the road. It sounds like a lot but it only takes a few minutes really. Now this is the base for any specialization to come later – a sort of “set the stage” workout more so than a pure strength workout. 

I also did heavy finger curls – working up to around double bodyweight in a loose fashion. This is where the actual strength comes from. If you don’t have a gym full of grip stuff and need just one thing to do – try this one. Just use a regular Olympic bar and a curl grip. Do them in the power rack with the pins set where they catch the bar when you drop it – which you will sooner or later if you go heavy. Roll it down your fingers and then back up – reps fairly low – add weight when you can. When you do 2x BW – you’ll be good to go – promise.

PS Bending is a whole nother thing - you want to be a good bender - learn to bend - then do it a lot in your chosen style. I like Reverse the best myself.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

This is what you laid out a few years ago:

Synergy Forearms

Climbing will build some good climbing strength but it won’t translate all that well to other areas like grippers, Blobs etc – it won’t hurt anything but there are better ways for those things. As usual it comes down to what you want when you say “Stronger Grip”. Grip is kind of unique in that it has so many areas. Support – crush – pinch – wrist etc and each of them requires something a little different if you want to excel at the whole thing. 

But if you just want a good basic routine that’s easy enough – here’s one of many that works. Long before the Grip Board I was doing a routine I got from a Health For Life book called Synergy Forearms plus one other exercise. For climbing one of the big enemies is the forearm pump – this seemed to help develop the ability to work hard longer while pumped. 

• Wrist Curls – 6-8
• Reverse wrist curls 6-8
• Wrist Curls – 6-8
• Reverse wrist curls – 6-8
• Reverse curls -6-8
• Reverse curls -6-8
• SED Wrist Abductions -6-8 or higher
• SED Wrist Adductions - -6-8 or higher
• SED Wrist Twists -6-8 or higher
SED means Single End Dumbbell or something like sledge levering. Do this in a HIT manner – no rest between sets (set up a couple bars ahead of time) –go to failure towards the end - add weight when you can. Gives a huge pump and a balanced development that might help prevent injuries down the road. It sounds like a lot but it only takes a few minutes really. Now this is the base for any specialization to come later – a sort of “set the stage” workout more so than a pure strength workout. 

I also did heavy finger curls – working up to around double bodyweight in a loose fashion. This is where the actual strength comes from. If you don’t have a gym full of grip stuff and need just one thing to do – try this one. Just use a regular Olympic bar and a curl grip. Do them in the power rack with the pins set where they catch the bar when you drop it – which you will sooner or later if you go heavy. Roll it down your fingers and then back up – reps fairly low – add weight when you can. When you do 2x BW – you’ll be good to go – promise.

PS Bending is a whole nother thing - you want to be a good bender - learn to bend - then do it a lot in your chosen style. I like Reverse the best myself.

I agree with this to condition a beginner into grip. This will strengthen the tendons and ligaments for more demanding grip exercises and prevent injuries. One should never jump balls to the wall into grip without some time building a solid base for what’s to come. This is a good plan for sure.

Don't ignore your wrists, sooner or later you will need that wrist strength and it takes a while to develop, so better get started as soon as you can. Do a lot of extensor work too or you will have elbow problems.

Bare minimum equipment, plates you can pinch, loading pin for any devices (hub, vbar type tools, rolling handles) and fat grip or equivalent, and a nice adjustable gripper, sledge and/or olympic dumbbell handle with weights on one end only to use for levering.

You can put the loading pin through the plates you are pinching and add weight like that.

• Thanks 1