Adam T Glass training log

AdamTGlass

all killer videos.. congrats on the 200lbs h2h pass!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

all killer videos.. congrats on the 200lbs h2h pass!

Man it’s so hard, like the same week earlier this year when I got 18 hand to hand reps with Tanners inch I missed the 200 by a mile. It’s something that I think will really level me up over next few months with some work

• Like 3

Adam, is that your best ever wrist workout? That was NASTY ASF wrist strength! Nobody has ever done it better!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdamTGlass said:

inch thumbless for a triple 

Hand to hand multiple switches with my fbbc inch 

first successful catch on 200 inch hand to hand pass - Tanner Merkle was the first one to do this feat he accomplished in 2020. 

first clean rep with long Cap 45 soooo hard. 

Clean double with fitness gear 45 plate 

first success double with 20 kg plate hanging with one hand 

Absolutely insane man one can only dream of achieving this level of wrist/grip strength.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Adam, is that your best ever wrist workout? That was NASTY ASF wrist strength! Nobody has ever done it better!

Probably in top 3 of last 13 months depending on how you look at it. My thumbless farmers walk of 22.5’ was probably my favorite achievement this year. 

• Like 3

Currently interested in what I can accomplish with max lifts on my paddle bar 

this is a good sign, I have never been able to budge this. Like last run I got some lifts on 340 and moved 350 but would get stopped from there primarily from the elbow stress. 400 is now in range 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

this is a good sign, I have never been able to budge this. Like last run I got some lifts on 340 and moved 350 but would get stopped from there primarily from the elbow stress. 400 is now in range 

353lbs is insane... But 400 is right around the corner for you.

I've got family in Fort Worth, if I ever make it down there again to see them, I gotta stop by and learn a thing or two.. if you'd let me.

• Thanks 2

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

That’s a real cool sledge feat. I haven’t seen it performed by anyone but you. I’ll have to give it a go.

21 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That’s a real cool sledge feat. I haven’t seen it performed by anyone but you. I’ll have to give it a go.

I am not the first by any means- this was one of the lifts Stanley would do in his performance - he would hold out a 14 lb maul and it had a longer handle than this harbor freight hammer- just enormous power cc @Hubgeezercan you confirm I’m remembering Stanley’s hammer lever correctly? 

2 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

I am not the first by any means- this was one of the lifts Stanley would do in his performance - he would hold out a 14 lb maul and it had a longer handle than this harbor freight hammer- just enormous power cc @Hubgeezercan you confirm I’m remembering Stanley’s hammer lever correctly? 

I don’t remember that from his movie if he did it in it. I seem to remember him starting a front lever with the sledge horizontal. But I could be wrong about that. 

2 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

I will give it a try. I did call him after your nice post about him, read it to him. He REALLY mises the AOBS dinners and the many guys that have passed on, especially Slim. AOBS last dinner was October 2018.

He of course remembers you and your calls.

11 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I will give it a try. I did call him after your nice post about him, read it to him. He REALLY mises the AOBS dinners and the many guys that have passed on, especially Slim. AOBS last dinner was October 2018.

He of course remembers you and your calls.

How come there are no more AOBS dinners? Is it because many members have passed on?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

How come there are no more AOBS dinners? Is it because many members have passed on?

I don’t think anyone took up the primary responsibility of organizing it. The. Coordinated effort to make it happen is not something so easily tackled. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

I don’t think anyone took up the primary responsibility of organizing it. The. Coordinated effort to make it happen is not something so easily tackled. 

The Organization still exists. It’s down to a short quarterly newsletter. My late brother still subscribed to it, and his subscription ran out in the second half of 2021. I let mine expire in 2019.

The attendance was falling, and there may not have been enough attendees to cover costs in 2017 and 2018, so they discontinued the banquet.

in 2019, a small group of Collector/Historian types petitioned Jan Todd, PhD, widow of the late Terry Todd, to have a get together at the Stark Center in the Fall of 2019 (U of Texas, Austin). Both Todd and AOBS went out of their way to say that they had nothing to do with each other. I believe there was maybe at most, a couple of dozen former AOBS attendees. It was very historical -academically driven , and they listened to a number of academics talk about things not many of the folks on this forum would be interested . Jan Todd was a gracious host, and they had a nice tour and lunch, some lectures, etc. But it was not a gathering of older and up and coming Neanderthals that include most on this Forum. Dennis Rogers attended, but he of course lives in Texas, so not that big a travel. There were perhaps 40 plus total in attendance. It appeared, for the former AOBS attendees, to be a type of final goodbye to what existed before, that was only marginally connected to what transpired before.

My brother attended, loved it, knew half the people there. The wife/co-owner of Rogue was there, as she is extremely close with Jan Todd.

I think I only saw my brother one time after that event, as he holed up when COVID hit shortly after that, and passed away in June, 2021.

Attendance was dropping, in my opinion, because so many of the “Legends” were passing away, or getting older and no longer attending. Virtually no one from this forum was attending, and that was indicative of the lack of interest that young people had towards the event.

And on top of that, AOBS did not like those who used performance enhancing drugs, which meant the pool they pulling from was getting smaller every year.

You have to understand that from my perspective, it was a life changing event for my son, who the first time we  attended in 2005, was just shy of 24 years old, and was drifting through life. Today he is a focused intense driven confident man who has deadlifted more than triple body weight, rolled with both Cain Velasquez and Hershel Walker (circa 2010-2011), and is not the kind of fellow someone would want to eff with. Much of that came from listening to Slim Farman for 6 straight hours the night before 2006’s Banquet. To my kid, Slim was The Cool ofCool.

I am still friends with a number of people i met there, very close with Stanless Steel, and managed to get the nerve to work with Slim to get the definitive article on Slim’s life in an issue of 2011 MILO Magazine.

Years back, over a period of a couple of a few years, I wrote thousands of words on the IronMind Forum, which I initiated at a request of someone on the Gripboard. You can find it by Googling “What the heck is the AOBS and when is its next reunion?” It could be an hour read, probably boring to most…

Sorry for the long answer, and burying the subject, as well as encroaching on and in, Adam’s blog. It’s simply the end of an Era.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Ah this is a perfect addition to my log Mike- top level history and story. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

The Organization still exists. It’s down to a short quarterly newsletter. My late brother still subscribed to it, and his subscription ran out in the second half of 2021. I let mine expire in 2019.

The attendance was falling, and there may not have been enough attendees to cover costs in 2017 and 2018, so they discontinued the banquet.

in 2019, a small group of Collector/Historian types petitioned Jan Todd, PhD, widow of the late Terry Todd, to have a get together at the Stark Center in the Fall of 2019 (U of Texas, Austin). Both Todd and AOBS went out of their way to say that they had nothing to do with each other. I believe there was maybe at most, a couple of dozen former AOBS attendees. It was very historical -academically driven , and they listened to a number of academics talk about things not many of the folks on this forum would be interested . Jan Todd was a gracious host, and they had a nice tour and lunch, some lectures, etc. But it was not a gathering of older and up and coming Neanderthals that include most on this Forum. Dennis Rogers attended, but he of course lives in Texas, so not that big a travel. There were perhaps 40 plus total in attendance. It appeared, for the former AOBS attendees, to be a type of final goodbye to what existed before, that was only marginally connected to what transpired before.

My brother attended, loved it, knew half the people there. The wife/co-owner of Rogue was there, as she is extremely close with Jan Todd.

I think I only saw my brother one time after that event, as he holed up when COVID hit shortly after that, and passed away in June, 2021.

Attendance was dropping, in my opinion, because so many of the “Legends” were passing away, or getting older and no longer attending. Virtually no one from this forum was attending, and that was indicative of the lack of interest that young people had towards the event.

And on top of that, AOBS did not like those who used performance enhancing drugs, which meant the pool they pulling from was getting smaller every year.

You have to understand that from my perspective, it was a life changing event for my son, who the first time we  attended in 2005, was just shy of 24 years old, and was drifting through life. Today he is a focused intense driven confident man who has deadlifted more than triple body weight, rolled with both Cain Velasquez and Hershel Walker (circa 2010-2011), and is not the kind of fellow someone would want to eff with. Much of that came from listening to Slim Farman for 6 straight hours the night before 2006’s Banquet. To my kid, Slim was The Cool ofCool.

I am still friends with a number of people i met there, very close with Stanless Steel, and managed to get the nerve to work with Slim to get the definitive article on Slim’s life in an issue of 2011 MILO Magazine.

Years back, over a period of a couple of a few years, I wrote thousands of words on the IronMind Forum, which I initiated at a request of someone on the Gripboard. You can find it by Googling “What the heck is the AOBS and when is its next reunion?” It could be an hour read, probably boring to most…

Sorry for the long answer, and burying the subject, as well as encroaching on and in, Adam’s blog. It’s simply the end of an Era.

I wish I could have gone to one, but I was born too late. I've read your stories from AOBS on IronMind many times. Thanks for taking the time to share your stories.. Its very important in keeping this sport alive... Its those stories that help bridge the past to now.. 

I'm bald so I won't be pulling anything with my hair, unless its my ear hair and I like my teeth too much to bite coins. But I promise to do whatever I can to keep it going. 

@AdamTGlass i'm sorry for off topic post too.

• Like 2

Okay Adam, I talked to Stan tonight right before he hit the sack.

I don’t know if this is more or less impressive than what you thought, but I asked him multiple times and he gave me the same answers:

-It was in the mid-1990s, he thought 1996 (Stan was born in 1958)

-It was a 31 inch wooden handle

-He was starting on a table, with the hammer and the head “plumb”

-He would lift it to shoulder height

-It was a 12 pound hammer with one pound taped to the head

-He did it for 10 straight times (reps) in a show

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mike thanks for looking in to that!

• Like 1

Stuff from the last few days 

• Like 6

On 11/7/2022 at 11:32 AM, AdamTGlass said:

Adam - first of all congratulations on your continual progress - always impressed!  Second - I wish I sill had those oversize 100# plates.  Actually what I'd like is maybe 50# plates of that height - my creaky old back likes a higher starting position and plates are nicer than using boxes.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, climber511 said:

Adam - first of all congratulations on your continual progress - always impressed!  Second - I wish I sill had those oversize 100# plates.  Actually what I'd like is maybe 50# plates of that height - my creaky old back likes a higher starting position and plates are nicer than using boxes.  

Chris know that they are used and abused weekly- every week-> every month. Truly special plates for me that start me at the most comfortable pulls for training. The other thing is on the axle they rotate really hard compared to my other plates 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

Chris know that they are used and abused weekly- every week-> every month. Truly special plates for me that start me at the most comfortable pulls for training. The other thing is on the axle they rotate really hard compared to my other plates 

Hey - how about a favor please - send me a nice picture of you using them for the wall in my gym?  You've seen the walls - pictures of people I respect - and you certainly qualify!

• Like 2

the difficulty is indescribable- making gains though and very soon I’ll be able to double lift my 200 thumbless

• Like 3