Adam T Glass training log

AdamTGlass

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

wrapping up off season training, will resume competition training & logging here. 

Yesterday was a good look towards the coming months 

281 on the 2.5” Saxon with competition form. 

254 on 3” Saxon 

this months online challenge for ArmliftingUSA is orange fatgripz one hand deadlift, yesterday was my first submission 

Last points for review later - Inch lifts for 60 seconds with bell level 

Hand to hand Inch transfer THUMBLESS on both start & catch 

I’m hosting King Kong for North Texas - Location will be my property in Brock. 30 minutes west of downtown FtW. 

First AL meet will be Mr Olympia 18 Dec @Planet Hollywood I’ll be there looking for another strong finish 

• Like 6

Congrats on the Thumbless Inch toss! That is beyond incredible wrist strength!!

• Thanks 1

3 Sept 2020 

max Inch lift in 60 minutes — 144 reps in 32 sets. PR for volume of level lifted reps 

Tremendously humid and hot in my barn- I think I spent more time drying and rechalking then lifting. Temperature will drop soon and I’ll have some really big sessions. 

• Like 3

4 Sept 20 

This is my unfinished pet project from 2013 I’m circling back for. In the past with great struggle I do some half reps to the knee. I have been taking attempts again for the last 10 days and it’s getting better. 

This is first plate curl I’ve done in months and months. I have made great progress in resolving this elbow. I’ll have much to do here this winter 

I took a few sets of lifts on the bell Friday. Even with all the volume of Thursday my Grip was pretty ok. My wrists were a bit sore but level lifts still alright. 

• Like 3

Adam, That Turkish get-up attempt is insanity. 172lb sand bag would be hard as F but doing it with Inch DB - Holy smokes! Highly skilled and strong as OX! Must be nice to plate curl 20kg after months of not trying!! I am still trying to get a single level lift of inch DB maybe someday I can borrow a rep from you , LOL

Edited by Kluv#0
addition

2 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Adam, That Turkish get-up attempt is insanity. 172lb sand bag would be hard as F but doing it with Inch DB - Holy smokes! Highly skilled and strong as OX! Must be nice to plate curl 20kg after months of not trying!! I am still trying to get a single level lift of inch DB maybe someday I can borrow a rep from you , LOL

the pressure of the thick handle adds a lot to the challenge- steering it more challenging and easier to lose the groovy by drifting out of vertical. My legs are still dumb in the pattern- I’m not really getting good use of them in a few angles. Sooner than later, probably not tomorrow 😆

i got reps for everyone who needs them — with no exaggeration I’ve put up well over 1,000 lifts Inch bell in the last calendar year. I think that’s the most important training secret- “do it alot” 

• Like 1

7Sept20 

a few lifts between house projects 

• Like 4

D10 Sept 2020 

Can you do this ? 

What about thumbless? 

Turkish get up attempt of the day 

Lifts on 90 kg Inch 

Edited by AdamTGlass
  • Like 1

Amazing strength Adam! The 20KG plate curl while holding Inch DB THUMBLESS was so controlled- has to be one of the best grip feats ever. Great job on the 90KG Replica Inch , too.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Has that feat been attempted by anyone else? So much of what Adam has done resets the bar for what is "elite". Maybe Rindo has it right. Maybe lifting the Inch IS only an ante at the Grip table if Adam is cranking out 150 reps in a session.

What is thick bar elite?

Adam is an outlier for sure- talented, driven, hard-worker, experience, massive wrist strength- really, just amazing set of hands. What is Elite thick bar? some variables to take into account but I do know your amazing double Inch lift is way over Elite.  

11 Sept 20 

+4 lb on my successful orange grip entries for this months challenge with 166 lb. I think I can get to 180 lb by end of trial but that won’t be good enough to secure first. 

My best day with DOH orange grips. 

Finished with get ups & two hand swings 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Amazing strength Adam! The 20KG plate curl while holding Inch DB THUMBLESS was so controlled- has to be one of the best grip feats ever. Great job on the 90KG Replica Inch , too.

Thank you - I will be able to scale this much farther using my 90 & 96 kg Inch bells and my 45 lb, 50 lb, 24 kg disk, and eventually a 25 kg plate it will be very stupid by the end 

• Like 1

Sunday 13 Sept 20 

trained King Kong events with Tanner. Weather was gorgeous today. 

Flask went great- I was up to 110 lb. that is I think my best ive pulled on it. Tanner went beyond that. Grabball much better for never today- it’s more technical that one would assume. Very good day on 2.24 Crusher. Lbh was my best day in around a year. I don’t fuss with it much unless a contest is approaching. After my lifts today I feel good about the upcoming contest. 

Hear me — Tanner Merkle will take 1st Place this year for the overall. His lifts are incredibly strong and still 6 more weeks to prepare. The North Texas site will have some phenomenal lifts, I’m expecting a number of good competitors to be here. 

• Like 3

Congrats on the PR -Very strong pinch on Flask. I agree with you, Tanner will win Overall again. Nobody has the all-around excellence as that young man! I have a feeling he will pull over 250 lbs on both 2.25" crusher and LBH. His Flask game has improved greatly the last 3 years and Grab Ball will be over 200lbs. Adam, I can see your placing being very high, too! Best of luck to you men.

• Like 2

18 Sept 2020 

45 lb Olympic plate curl 

Added +2 lb to my one arm fatgripz lift Submission for the ALUSA online contest 

• Like 6

Most likely the best song while curling a 45lb plate in history of grip:) Super stuff once again Adam!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Most likely the best song while curling a 45lb plate in history of grip:) Super stuff once again Adam!

💪👊👊👊👊👊

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 11:55 AM, AdamTGlass said:

On equipment 

the group of us who lift together weekly laugh at the geekiness of the dozens of handles we lift on. At any given moment there is something like 30 world champion record holders. Hey it’s fun. I’ve lifted on a bunch of handles at a bunch of contests...but how many do you need to get competitive? 

As i begin heres the deal. I’m not talking about saving money. I’m talking about spending time. If you want to use your hard earned dollar to buy every handle on the market because that’s what you like than rock on 👍👍👍👍

im about to rap on what you may or may not need to get better month by month. 

Over this year I found that with access to dozens of equipment options I lifted on 3 particular bars 90% more than all the others. 

The three you need- If you want to have a kick ass grip for ArmLiftingUSA, GSI, any of the European leagues or and strength sport 

— double overhand lifts using a fatbar Best option for anyone is Blue Fatgripz. Best option for someone wanting to ever do well in competition the 2” Ironmind axle. You can stop reading here if you’re a show me the 1 thing to get better now guy. 

Double overhand deadlift, clean, row, snatch, press, pull up, farmer walk, get up, bent press- the list goes on. One or two hands a 2” bar or greater plus weight on said bar equals strength 

— some kind of Saxon style pinch set up. In the trunk of my car at any given day is 12 different pinch grip handles, plus the 5 Saxon bars at my gym. I have found the barbell style pinch set up superior to the top loading plate pin set up. I believe the Saxon bar more interesting than the Euro- I crush it on both sets up but I’m certain Saxon better for overall power.  One and two hand pinch lifts on these bars allow precision loading and programming with tremendous options for movement. The top loading pinch set up is far limited in practical application of full body training. 

The the final of the 3 is a thick diameter spinning handle. Used for single hand deadlifts (best overall exercise imo) they fight all fingers and thumb plus wrist. In a standard commercial gym you can get fine results putting your blue fatgripz on a typical cable cross over station “D” handle which usually is a 1” spinning handle. 

I’ve kept this log accurately for the better part of the year. You will plainly see what I’m lifting and what the long term results. It certainly hasn’t sucked to reap the reward. 

Grippers - only gets better when doing the specific gripper. Doesn’t translate particularly well to much else. I hope you get the bug but I hope you get the cure too 

any handle where the record is under 100 lb - you are trash kill it with fire. Weird little grips where 1 kg jump separates wr from everyone else - stop hosting these. 

I don’t care much for events that pay off low in the time invested vs overall benefit. Stub life for real but not if you actually want to ever say add muscle or get a stronger back. There’s a 100 ways to show you’re a grip master but don’t think that the best hub lift is anything compared up the heaviest axle pull. The strongest axle lifters historically rock on all Grip challenges it’s no accident. 

In closing get a $40 pair of slip on grips and a Saxon bar. Lift that for 1 year and be amazed. I own equipment from a number of companies and much of it is excellent but in my hands typically Ironmind axle, fat bastard Saxon and fatgripz. Super useful

Digging up an old post. Agree with everything you say except the Saxon vs the Euro. The latter is the gold standard as its negates hand size and reduces the involvement of the wrists. The Euro is simply more versatile as a pinch grip implement but admittedly more cumbersome to set up, no argument there. Training on the Euro allowed me to pull 4x10k first time I ever tried it (in other words that implement builds pinch strength that is highly transferable to other pinch feats). If I could only do one single grip lift for the rest of my life it would be double overhand deadlifts with the axle. Could not agree more on your view on hub lifts, penny pinches as the likes. They are more fun than useful for building strength.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2020 at 11:19 AM, AdamTGlass said:

17 Jan 2020

body weight 218.5 lb. 

49 days to Arnold Classic contest. 

Double overhand axle deadlift 215-1-3, 305-1, 355-1, 395-1, 405-1, 415-1, 425-1-2 miss right before lockout but very good bar speed 

Silver bullet #4, #3, #2.5

#3 30 mm set 1-3

rolling thunder 186-1/1, 196-1/1, 206-1/1, 211-1/1, 216-1/1, 221-1, 223.5-1 i do believe today was my best day on my rolling thunder. I typically lift 10-15 lb more in a meet than at gym. Based on recent sessions I feel very good going forward. RT has never been a weak lift for me but feels like my very slowest improving one. 

Single arm axle curl 55-1/1, 60-1/1, 65-1/1, 70-1/1 PR righty, 75-1L per lefty 

handstand push up practice. 

Coming together. Steering has improved greatly in last 10 days. A few things are clicking which I either forgot before or learned now. I’m not certain which it is but it’s working better. Defining a rep as some degree of obvious vertical decent with return- I’m now getting 40-50 reps on any given session. Some times I’m getting 2’s & 3’s but the control feels like 100% better than 70 days ago. 

31D76D3C-7DCD-40A2-BF4E-5BD355C65EB2.jpeg

Nice to see the classic style in the double overhand. Sumo is for ladies practising for child birth. Used the sumo style myself once in a grip competition and still have nightmares about it.

4 hours ago, Hopefully said:

In response to the doh axle comment, you have stated in the past that thickbar is one of the most overrated lift in grip, thinking it should be seen as a test of strength rather than an effective strength builder. 

Have you changed your mind and if so, why? 

Before I can respond I think I would need to know exactly what I said (also I might simply have changed my mind). Let's put it this way. For grip competitions I think the axle is great as it weeds out people who have no business on a strength competition platform. You have to have pretty small hands to be limited by hand size on a 50mm bar. The experience of have trained grip for 20 years+ has taught me that thickbar training is superior to just about anything else in grip. But that is not the same thing as saying that thickbar lift are ideal for grip comps because they are not (once it get beyond 2 inches). Apart from its cumbersomeness the Euro pinch set up is ideal (to give an example in the pinch category). There is no excuse for underperforming with a Euro set up as long as the organiser permits a width that suits your hand size. 

16 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Allright, thanks for answering. 

That took some digging, thankfully I found it. Post number 5: 

Yep that post of mine was a bit retarded. I have definitely changed my mind regarding the efficiency of thickbar training.