Hand balancing transitions for 40 minutes 

Body weight 211 lb 

• Like 1

DOH Axle 305-1, 325-1, 345-1, 355-1, 375-1, 395-1-10, 405-1-2

2.5” FBBC Saxon 193-1, 233-1, 243-1, 253-1, 258-1, 263-1-3, 268-1-3 

plate curl practice 25’s, 35’s, and green disk 

index finger finally closed up and healed 🔧🔩

• Like 3

75 minutes hand balancing. So superior to the beginning of the month when I resumed. Body is very tired from it. 

Edited by AdamTGlass

lift at the edge body weight 214 

doh axle 215-1, 265-1, 305-1, 355-1-2

doh orange fatgripz 

225-1, 275-1, 315-1, 320-1-2

single arm 2.5” Saxon curl 51-5, 58-1, 63-1, 68-1/2 rep 

blue fatgripz single arm curl 45-1, 55-1-4

single arm Saxon pinch 73-1/1, 83-1/1. 93-1/1, 103-1/1, 108-1/1, 113-1-3

two hand pinch 2.5 fbbc Saxon 233-1-3, 253-1-5 

hand balancing 10 minutes wrist won’t loosen up never had anything other than straight body pose. 

bw 214 lb 

two hand pinch 2” x 5” fbbc Saxon 

226-1-3, 246-1, 256-1, 266-1-3, 271-1, 276–1-3

two hand pinch 3” x 4” Saxon 233-1-3, 243-1, 248-1, 253-1-3

one arm barbell deadlift with orange fatgripz thumbless & overhand attempts 137, 142, 147, 153

one arm deadlift with blue gripz 137, 157, 177, 187

one arm saxon curl w/cable extension 5 sets 

hand balancing 10 minutes 

• Like 1

double overhand axle 

215-1, 265-1, 305-1, 325-1, 345-1, 365-1, 385-1, 395-1-5, 405-1-5

thumbless double overhand axle 

305-1-3, 325-1, 345-1, 365-1, 375-1

2.5 saxon curl 5 sets

block buster 5 sets

15 minutes handstand. Not very solid today shoulder took a beating at work. 

shot rotation. Probation/supination, finger extension band at home 

feeling strong today 

double overhand axle 

215-1, 265-1, 305-1, 325-1, 355-1-2, 395-1-4, 415-1, 425-miss at hip 

thumbless double overhand axle 305-1, 325-1, 345-1, 355-1, 365-1, 375-miss at hip 

fatgripz extreme / orange fatgripz 225-1, 315-1, 325-3 miss at hip 

handstand push up practice/ hollow back entry 25 minutes 

• Like 2

body weight 218 lb 

tied joints for 7 hours today knocking out 50 devices my fingers tips definitely feeling it. 

Session at the Edge 

2.5” fbbc Saxon 

195-1-2, 215-1, 235-1-3, 245-1-3, 255-1-5, 265-1-3, 268-1-2 

2” fbbc Saxon 228-1-5, 248-1-5, 268-1-5, 278-1-3

one arm Saxon curl 2.5 x 5” x 7’ bar 54-3-2, 59-2, 1, 64-1-3 a growing favorite. 

Hand stand push up practice 15 minutes 

one month of resuming hand balancing after lay off. Push up steering and drive returning. 

40 minutes of practice. A few ok push ups. Extension position was harder to access. The current warm up required to reach a controlled decent is about 10 minutes. One expectation I have is to favorably decrease warm up times by improving rom of extremities. 

I program calisthenics with focus on better motor control rather than sets & reps. Achieving new angles and poses keeps the intensity of the pattern towards maximum. 

Not understanding this is why people miss the long view benefits body weight training. 

I program with an eye towards discovery of better controls. I do not see any one position as the right or best one. The strongest hand balancers in history demonstrated control in unorthodox positions. These positions can’t be reached by simply holding longer times in conventional positions nor adding reps to a less specific angle. To do a hollowback hs push up is as different to learn as a traditional leaning press. 

Where the body can move to next imo is a more engaging target than conventional timed hold goals or sets/reps. Can I lean there and return? Can I point my foot that way and steer? Can I extend my rib without losing shoulder angle? 

This theme will shape my weekly practice. 

• Like 2

On 12/15/2019 at 10:55 PM, AdamTGlass said:

On equipment 

the group of us who lift together weekly laugh at the geekiness of the dozens of handles we lift on. At any given moment there is something like 30 world champion record holders. Hey it’s fun. I’ve lifted on a bunch of handles at a bunch of contests...but how many do you need to get competitive? 

As i begin heres the deal. I’m not talking about saving money. I’m talking about spending time. If you want to use your hard earned dollar to buy every handle on the market because that’s what you like than rock on 👍👍👍👍

im about to rap on what you may or may not need to get better month by month. 

Over this year I found that with access to dozens of equipment options I lifted on 3 particular bars 90% more than all the others. 

The three you need- If you want to have a kick ass grip for ArmLiftingUSA, GSI, any of the European leagues or and strength sport 

— double overhand lifts using a fatbar Best option for anyone is Blue Fatgripz. Best option for someone wanting to ever do well in competition the 2” Ironmind axle. You can stop reading here if you’re a show me the 1 thing to get better now guy. 

Double overhand deadlift, clean, row, snatch, press, pull up, farmer walk, get up, bent press- the list goes on. One or two hands a 2” bar or greater plus weight on said bar equals strength 

— some kind of Saxon style pinch set up. In the trunk of my car at any given day is 12 different pinch grip handles, plus the 5 Saxon bars at my gym. I have found the barbell style pinch set up superior to the top loading plate pin set up. I believe the Saxon bar more interesting than the Euro- I crush it on both sets up but I’m certain Saxon better for overall power.  One and two hand pinch lifts on these bars allow precision loading and programming with tremendous options for movement. The top loading pinch set up is far limited in practical application of full body training. 

The the final of the 3 is a thick diameter spinning handle. Used for single hand deadlifts (best overall exercise imo) they fight all fingers and thumb plus wrist. In a standard commercial gym you can get fine results putting your blue fatgripz on a typical cable cross over station “D” handle which usually is a 1” spinning handle. 

I’ve kept this log accurately for the better part of the year. You will plainly see what I’m lifting and what the long term results. It certainly hasn’t sucked to reap the reward. 

Grippers - only gets better when doing the specific gripper. Doesn’t translate particularly well to much else. I hope you get the bug but I hope you get the cure too 

any handle where the record is under 100 lb - you are trash kill it with fire. Weird little grips where 1 kg jump separates wr from everyone else - stop hosting these. 

I don’t care much for events that pay off low in the time invested vs overall benefit. Stub life for real but not if you actually want to ever say add muscle or get a stronger back. There’s a 100 ways to show you’re a grip master but don’t think that the best hub lift is anything compared up the heaviest axle pull. The strongest axle lifters historically rock on all Grip challenges it’s no accident. 

In closing get a $40 pair of slip on grips and a Saxon bar. Lift that for 1 year and be amazed. I own equipment from a number of companies and much of it is excellent but in my hands typically Ironmind axle, fat bastard Saxon and fatgripz. Super useful

I have a garage gym (albeit  a nice one).  I will generalize somewhat my choices.  An IM Axle and/or Blue Fat Grips.  A 2 3/8" Fat bar or dumbbells.  A set of Orange Fat Grips (2.75 to 3" depending on what bar you put it on).

Various widths of a Pinch Device.  I'm a fan of David Horne's Euro setup because I have one and it offers pinch from 1/2" to whatever depending of how many spacers you have.  A pain to adjust for contests but easy enough with slots in the spacers for training.  In addition I have a 3" x 4" Saxon Bar and also 3" x 4" Saxon Dumbbells.  I may build a 2" and 2.5" Saxon but I don't feel they are "necessary" - I'd just like to have my numbers on them.  For crush strength an Ivanko Super Gripper is as good as a collection of "nutcracker" grippers.  Grippers have nearly zero carry over to other things anyway but the ISG makes for a nice warm up.  I have but seldom use the dozens of other grip items I have.  As a climber I am also a big fan of the Hangboard for finger tip strength.  Adam's advice for a "Rolling Handle" is something I can't seem to ever progress on despite a lot of use - therefore I have taken it out of my rotation unless it's in the next contest.  All the "tiny" items are fun but for "development" I don't find much value unless as Adam said - it's in the next contest.

My Tips Tester invention does offer some value - especially if you are a climber.  "Levering" in all directions is critical for me - all my lifts decline unless I keep my wrist strength up.  Single end DBs or hammers - especially rotational movements.

The one different item I have and find real value with is a homemade David Horne "Tombstone" set up on an adjustable strength gripper that I can use as a high rep pinch device that offers a "pinch with movement".  No doubt responsible for much of my Euro results.  

Adam has it all covered - i just have just a few different devices due to having purchased or made something similar or some personal preferences.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, FrankSobotka said:

@climber511 Did you make the Saxon dumbbells or buy them? I have the Titan “beam” dumbbells, I believe they are 2.5x4”

I made them and my Saxon long bar - I make most of my stuff.

18 hours ago, climber511 said:

I have a garage gym (albeit  a nice one).  I will generalize somewhat my choices.  An IM Axle and/or Blue Fat Grips.  A 2 3/8" Fat bar or dumbbells.  A set of Orange Fat Grips (2.75 to 3" depending on what bar you put it on).

Various widths of a Pinch Device.  I'm a fan of David Horne's Euro setup because I have one and it offers pinch from 1/2" to whatever depending of how many spacers you have.  A pain to adjust for contests but easy enough with slots in the spacers for training.  In addition I have a 3" x 4" Saxon Bar and also 3" x 4" Saxon Dumbbells.  I may build a 2" and 2.5" Saxon but I don't feel they are "necessary" - I'd just like to have my numbers on them.  For crush strength an Ivanko Super Gripper is as good as a collection of "nutcracker" grippers.  Grippers have nearly zero carry over to other things anyway but the ISG makes for a nice warm up.  I have but seldom use the dozens of other grip items I have.  As a climber I am also a big fan of the Hangboard for finger tip strength.  Adam's advice for a "Rolling Handle" is something I can't seem to ever progress on despite a lot of use - therefore I have taken it out of my rotation unless it's in the next contest.  All the "tiny" items are fun but for "development" I don't find much value unless as Adam said - it's in the next contest.

My Tips Tester invention does offer some value - especially if you are a climber.  "Levering" in all directions is critical for me - all my lifts decline unless I keep my wrist strength up.  Single end DBs or hammers - especially rotational movements.

The one different item I have and find real value with is a homemade David Horne "Tombstone" set up on an adjustable strength gripper that I can use as a high rep pinch device that offers a "pinch with movement".  No doubt responsible for much of my Euro results.  

Adam has it all covered - i just have just a few different devices due to having purchased or made something similar or some personal preferences.

Chris attending a contest at your home was a highlight for me. A truly marvelous collection of challenges you have there! 

• Like 2

body weight 219 lb 

1 hour wrestling drills this morning at open mat 

Team Texas Practice with Tanner Merkle & Eric Milfeld 

orange fatgripz doh 

225-1-2, 245-1, 265-1, 315-1-3 (best conventional rep) 325-1 sumo best rep for December contest, 335-1 fast down but strong lift, 315-1 

some rt and pinch block reps while talking smack followed by Revolvers and Chili 

• Like 4

Adam,

I've followed you for awhile on YT and just recently been lurking around on the GB. I haven't done any real grip work since the early 2000's. I read your post about the minimum equipment. I have a solid axle that Heath Sexton gave me years ago along with a loadable inch dumbbell handle. I also have the blue fat grips. 

What I'm interested in most is your suggestion on the Saxon Bar. I was considering buying one from Arm Assassins but then I saw the Napalm Nightmare with exchangeable grips, so it made me pause a bit before I purchased anything. In your opinion for someone looking to just get stronger in the grip and not worried about competition stuff which would you suggest?

Thanks for your time.

Oh and here is my YT channel, just started trying to put some stuff up on it again.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzZrV-ByAlAOPIjZ1fu59Ig?view_as=subscriber

Edited by MeatPlow

41 minutes ago, MeatPlow said:

Adam,

I've followed you for awhile on YT and just recently been lurking around on the GB. I haven't done any real grip work since the early 2000's. I read your post about the minimum equipment. I have a solid axle that Heath Sexton gave me years ago along with a loadable inch dumbbell handle. I also have the blue fat grips. 

What I'm interested in most is your suggestion on the Saxon Bar. I was considering buying one from Arm Assassins but then I saw the Napalm Nightmare with exchangeable grips, so it made me pause a bit before I purchased anything. In your opinion for someone looking to just get stronger in the grip and not worried about competition stuff which would you suggest?

Thanks for your time.

Oh and here is my YT channel, just started trying to put some stuff up on it again.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzZrV-ByAlAOPIjZ1fu59Ig?view_as=subscriber

Hey man welcome back

in my opinion the barbell style Saxon will give you more total training options than the bottom loading pin set ups. You will have choice of various classic lifts press/ row/ curl/ deadlift/ clean/ snatch. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

Hey man welcome back

in my opinion the barbell style Saxon will give you more total training options than the bottom loading pin set ups. You will have choice of various classic lifts press/ row/ curl/ deadlift/ clean/ snatch. 

Thanks Adam. Which widths do you feel would give a man the best all around? 

Man, some of your stuff along with Joseph Sullivan's stuff is outstanding. Didn't realize how weak my grip had become until I started messing around with some this stuff. The blue fat gripz flat out humbled me.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MeatPlow said:

Thanks Adam. Which widths do you feel would give a man the best all around? 

Man, some of your stuff along with Joseph Sullivan's stuff is outstanding. Didn't realize how weak my grip had become until I started messing around with some this stuff. The blue fat gripz flat out humbled me.

I agree with Adam on the actual Saxon over a loading pin set up for being able to do more things. 

Thanks for the compliment/recognition!

Joe

4 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I agree with Adam on the actual Saxon over a loading pin set up for being able to do more things. 

Thanks for the compliment/recognition!

Joe

Been following you on YT also Joe. Great stuff brother. 

Now I just have to do some figuring on what size would do me the best. I'm thinking a 3"x4" would probably suit me, but like to hear opinions.

2 minutes ago, MeatPlow said:

Now I just have to do some figuring on what size would do me the best. I'm thinking a 3"x4" would probably suit me, but like to hear opinions.

My favorite is 2 inch x 4 or 5. I have a 2 inch and 2.5 inch in one. It’s a 2 inch Saxon with a  section that has  a plate welded to both sides  to the 2 inch bar  to give me the option of both. I don’t like the 3 inch as it feels to Wide with the amount of weight I can use, causing an increased risk of skin Rips. 

5 minutes ago, MeatPlow said:

What is your you tube so I can sub you.

Edited by Guest

I own a 2 x 4, 3x3, 3x4, 2x5, & 2.5x5 bars. My favorite of all is 2.5” x 5” x 7’. The 2” x 5” is probably the better fit for average sized hands. 

Fatgripz are so useful. If you stick with them for a few years you’ll be astonished how much stronger you will be. 

• Like 1

today I woke up sore from wrestling Sunday. 

New addition - double underhand axle. 

215-2, 235-2, 255-1, 275-1, 305-1, 325-1, 345-1. 

Doh axle conventional 355-1-5

doh sumo 375-1-5

single hand thumbless axle 125-1/1, 145-1/1, 165-1/1, 185-1/1-3, 195-1L miss R. 

Single arm Saxon curl 2.5” x 5” fbbc bar 51-3, 58-2,-2,1,1,1,1,1,1,1 pr 

hand balance 25 minutes smooth hollow back entries but no steering for hspu 

• Like 1

body weight 217 lb 

blue fatgripz double overhand conventional

225-1, 275-1, 315-1, 335-1, 355-1, 375-1, 385-1, 395-1-2 miss above the knee 

best cv bfg I can ever recall. Good day 

saxon curl w/2.5” fbbc bar 

51-5, 63-1-2, 68-1/2 rep hard af 

assortment of bw squats push ups and bridging 

• Like 1