Gripper sweep and thick bar weakness

db2000

I can MMS a #3 but cant close it with a wider set. My rolling thunder is only 70kgs/155lbs

I want to do both the CoC#3 and crushed to dust certs. I was planning on working both concurrently using a sensible gripper program like chezs program and clays rolling thunder program but I am drawn to quick fix programs like RRBT and KTA. 

I have asked on the RRBT forum and the consensus is I can't push both rolling thunder and RRBT which is fair enough.

But @Fist of Fury mentioned that wide set grippers may boost my rolling thunder.

Could a gripper based quick fix program inadvertently bring up my rolling thunder if done with a wide set?

Of should I stick with a more sensible approach?

If I push my rolling thunder will my sweep get better with the #3?

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, db2000 said:

I can MMS a #3 but cant close it with a wider set. My rolling thunder is only 70kgs/155lbs

I want to do both the CoC#3 and crushed to dust certs. I was planning on working both concurrently using a sensible gripper program like chezs program and clays rolling thunder program but I am drawn to quick fix programs like RRBT and KTA. 

I have asked on the RRBT forum and the consensus is I can't push both rolling thunder and RRBT which is fair enough.

But @Fist of Fury mentioned that wide set grippers may boost my rolling thunder.

Could a gripper based quick fix program inadvertently bring up my rolling thunder if done with a wide set?

Thanks

Possibly but there's no guarantee.

I would focus on grippers more because that's harder than thick bar technically, so you need to practice it more to be good at it. Then I would do low volume thick bar. I think Clay's program might be too much, but the only way you can find out is to try it.

• Like 1

I wouldn't personally do too much thick bar if you have a gripper goal in mind. I also wouldn't choose a rolling thunder to do it but they arnt terrible if that's all you have. With grippers you will perform best when your just doing grippers (some thumb and extensor work is fine but I wouldn't go too heavy), if you train thickbar at the same time it's generally going to have a negative effect on your grippers. If the sweep is really lagging then by all means put some wide pinch and thickbar in but I would only recommend doing it every 3rd or 4th week. Savage closes can be good for sweep too (pm me if you don't know what they are). 

The other option would be a good few months of thick pinch and thickbar / improving your overall hand strength then come back to the grippers. Good luck!

• Like 1

Yes, slow closes with the Vulcan (or similar gripper). Working your way through the ROM slowly. That will effectively build up the sweep strength. I did this for 8 weeks and felt massive improvement, I could almost close the GHP7 with CCS after doing that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, db2000 said:

Thanks

I can tell you, as one that only does no set and TNS grippers, that it will aid in your thick bar. You are going through a whole range movement rather than short changing your hand out of maximum possible range of motion strength.