Brian Shaw Lifts Millennium Dumbbell!

Bill Piche

On 4/27/2019 at 5:26 PM, MarcoBuhl said:

It's not THAT hard in reallity. If you can lift the 172lb Inch multiple times you can lift the Millennium with much training, too. I got some good air under the Millennium after German Nationals  - i think 2016.. with my lowest bodyweight of 102kg.

of course it's hard - but the under 105kg guys like Gabriel, Tanner, Adam, Gil, me... are able to lift the Millennium one day.

No human is limited in his/her capailities.  At least constant and well-designed training leads to the drastic changes in your performance. But of course, the real deal should be in front of loud words.

Edited by Stanislav
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 2:27 PM, mobsterone said:

Plus Laine practiced for it

Practiced for relatively long span. It took 9 months to lift pair MDB, from previous feat MDB + Inch in his right hand

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

The thing is, many or most of the old timers were showmen, like magicians or Like the professional wrestling of today. They made their money off of doing unbelievable things. Unfortunately, probably, most of these unbelievable things were just as real as professional wrestling is. If it seems unbelievable, by today’s standards, most likely it is. We have men literally 2x the size of the old timers and juiced/hgh to the max. I can’t believe that men of the old days are that much stronger than the ones today. I would like to believe that some of it is real, but, for instance, the Cleaning and pressing the 172 anvil with one hand??? Come on now. No way is anyone grabbing the 172 pound anvil and kettlebell swinging it up to there shoulder and pressing it from the face with one hand. Rumor has it that it was really a 100-110 pound anvil. I cannot remember where I read that information. 

So, in conclusion, we are to take these unbelievable things with a grain of salt and just appreciate them for what they are. Give them credit for making us interested in what we do, and trying to duplicate it. I do not believe most of the old time unbelievable things. But, who knows? I would like to think some of them are legit.

Joe

Exactly except the part I don't believe the legends who claim stronger things than the world strongest men who are fully juiced cannot do.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Exactly except the part I don't believe the legends who claim stronger things than the world strongest men who are fully juiced cannot do.

I feel the same as you do bro. No way did they do things stronger that 7 foot 440 pound juiced up guys. Mass moves mass.

5 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I feel the same as you do bro. No way did they do things stronger that 7 foot 440 pound juiced up guys. Mass moves mass.

But their word is bond, and it's legend. The angrier they are the stronger they get. They also have godly powers. We should believe it 😎

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

But their word is bond, and it's legend. The angrier they are the stronger they get. They also have godly powers. We should believe it 😎

That’s what happens to the Incredible Hulk... the madder he gets, the stronger he gets... infinitely. Maybe that’s where Stan Lee got the idea for the hulk?

4 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Sorry but all this seems like a fairy tale to me. I don't believe in legends. And no word is bond. Thomas Inch himself didn't lift the Inch and was a fraud. People getting stronger the more angry they get? How old are you dude? This sounds to me like a cartoon I used to watch 20 years back called Dragon Ball. The angrier they got, the stronger they were. Forget the past legends. Magicians too did their "magic" in front of thousands of people. That means it was slight of hands, not magic. Doesn't mean at all it was true. Some magicians can lift an unliftable box with one finger. It doesn't mean it's real. People don't believe @Jedd Johnson or @LAINE SNOOK based on words alone. They proved themselves to everyone around the world. In person, in video's, and most importantly in comps. And they can do their feat over and over again. And the things they do are realistic. Snatch a Millennium bell? Give me a break. No one snatched an Inch and you are taking about something 25 KG more? Someone told @Joseph Sullivan a story one which he doesn't believe, Abraham Lincoln two finger pinched 20 pounds 33 Inches sledge hammer horizontally to the ground because he can get angry. My advice to you is to stop believe whatever you are watching and live in the real world and see what World Strongest Men/Gripsters can or can not do and use logic to compare it to these "legends". And forget these rubbish godly powers given to old time strongmen when angry. Right @Stanislav?

Many of those, who read my posts here, found me rough and complex like a differential equation, others - ignore, barely paying attention to the letters set. But let's be fair and diplomatic:

1. I hardly believe that anyone was/will be able to snatch MDB for the next reasons (Analysis below):

a) in 19 th century there was not derived testosterone formula, therefore ability to grow working, lean muscles rapidly had been limited then.

b) snatch is very complex/ compound movement which has to be done explosively without any technical issues, MDB snatch exponentiates this complex task due to implement geometry and enlarged handle diameter in comparison with barbell diameter (~28 mm vs 60+mm). (Feel the doubled difference).

c) Anyone freely admits that strongmen of ancient era were dodging spectators to rise popularity of shows they'd participated in, moreover, did a favour for their promoters, cause everyone had/has to pay bills and provide delicious food for their families.  

d) But what about derived testosterone formula? Does anyone deny that fact results boosted in Iron Sport, Track and Field, swimming, etc as soon as injections of this ephyr become mandatory? Look at WL, 100-200m Sprint, Throws (Hammer, Shot put, Discuss, Javelin) PL world records tendency - They are constanly raising by fraction whether tiny or not, but fact remains the fact. Of course, there are some WRs which stay for long span and still are unbeatable since PEDs era was introduced AND NOT vice versa.

e) Ok, what about the difference between modern athletes and legendary ones? The modern, of cause, have money, six zeros contracts. And for sure, they are able to make such extravagant purchases, barely thinking how to make the ends meet. The system is very-well fine tuned and supplied by the National governing body. Huge coaches stuff is taking measures for injury - free trainings and meet performance, pre-, post workout recovery methods applying, collecting feedbacks from training stress, muscle strains, training programming, so on and so forth.  Any doubts regarding modern sport performance approach? Was it possible back then? I guess - NO.

f) No doubts, all WRs are very well-documented in protocols, filming tapes, digital technologies are appropriate as never before, so only crazy can treat this as "Donald Duck" tales. But what about documenting "legendary" records?  Only loud and High words and, probably,  not verified articles in the local newspapers - transmitted from generation to another.

I don't want to diminish ancient records by any means, have no intention to offend their followers, BUT I want RAW Facts, no gossips, no rumors, no fake, no flight of excited fantasy referring to something nonexistent in the nature. 

Edited by Stanislav
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Stanislav said:

Many of those, who read my posts here, found me rough and complex like a differential equation, others - ignore, barely paying attention to the letters set. But let's be fair and diplomatic:

1. I hardly believe that anyone was/will be able to snatch MDB for the next reasons (Analysis below):

a) in 19 th century there was not derived testosterone formula, therefore ability to grow working, lean muscles rapidly had been limited then.

b) snatch is very complex/ compound movement which has to be done explosively without any technical issues, MDB snatch exponentiates this complex task due to implement geometry and enlarged handle diameter in comparison with barbell diameter (~28 mm vs 60+mm). (Feel the doubled difference).

c) Anyone freely admits that strongmen of ancient era were dodging spectators to rise popularity of shows they'd participated in, moreover, did a favour for their promoters, cause everyone had/has to pay bills and provide delicious food for their families.  

d) But what about derived testosterone formula? Does anyone deny that fact results boosted in Iron Sport, Track and Field, swimming, etc as soon as injections of this ephyr become mandatory? Look at WL, 100-200m Sprint, Throws (Hammer, Shot put, Discuss, Javelin) PL world records tendency - They are constanly raising by fraction whether tiny or not, but fact remains the fact. Of course, there are some WRs which stay for long span and still are unbeatable since PEDs era was introduced AND NOT vice versa.

e) Ok, what about the difference between modern athletes and legendary ones? The modern, of cause, have money, six zeros contracts. And for sure, they are able to make such extravagant purchases, barely thinking how to make the ends meet. The system is very-well fine tuned and supplied by the National governing body. Huge coaches stuff is taking measures for injury - free trainings and meet performance, pre-, post workout recovery methods applying, collecting feedbacks from training stress, muscle strains, training programming, so on and so forth.  Any doubts regarding modern sport performance approach? Was it possible back then? I guess - NO.

f) No doubts, all WRs are very well-documented in protocols, filming tapes, digital technologies are appropriate as never before, so only crazy can treat this as "Donald Duck" tales. But what about documenting "legendary" records?  Only loud and High words and, probably,  not verified articles in the local newspapers - transmitted from generation to another.

I don't want to diminish ancient records by any means, have no intention to offend their followers, BUT I want RAW Facts, no gossips, no rumors, no fake, no flight of excited fantasy referring to something nonexistent in the nature. 

💯 truth and agree with this statement.

My community is one of the biggest fresh vegetable-growing areas in the world. Prime farmland sells for over $70,000 per acre, and the Produce Industry for the Salinas Valley is a multi-billion dollar industry. Much of the buying and selling between parties is still conducted over the telephone, between two humans, with VERBAL contracts, millions of dollars, every day. I have heard the term “Word is Bond” for over 50 years, and yet have never taken exception to those who have poked fun of it here on the Gripboard. Those in the Industry whose word is not good are out of business faster than a down signal at a bad Grip Contest.

There are a few places left on Planet Earth where one’s word is something you can Bank on. Sports? Probably not...but it still exists in some of our worlds.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stanislav said:

Yep! I never look into legends. Ha Alexander Zass was bending railroad spikes with ease (which I don't believe). Straight from the internet "During World War I, Zass served in the Russian army, fighting against the Austrians. However, Zass was taken as a prisoner of war four times, but managed to escape each time. As a prisoner, he pushed and pulled his cell bars as part of strength training, which was cited as an example of the effectiveness of isometrics. At least one of his escapes involved him 'breaking chains and bending bars'. He went on to promote the use of isometric exercises". Never mind him carrying two full grown lion on his shoulders and running with his injured horse in the war he was bending with his bare hands an iron bar 5 inches long and 0.625 inches square into a U-shape. So Gazza had this guy as his idol and soon later Gazza started bending Railrod spikes and warm up on 5" 3/8 SS 303 barehanded behind his back. Anyone believes that should go check a mental doctor. So, we can always compare proven people to these legends, and if there was a gap no way. People should apply their God given gift, the brains. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Stanislav said:

No human is limited in his/her capailities.  At least constant and well-designed training leads to the drastic changes in your performance. But of course, the real deal should be in front of loud words.

All humans are limited in their capabilities. We tend to find limit the hard way.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

In general it is likely that the average male strength was much higher 100 years ago than it is today. Hard manual labor build strength. If you have a very large pool of people doing heavy manual work (that we use machines for today) it is likely that you will have a considerable number of people with very high levels of 'functional' strength.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

In general it is likely that the average male strength was much higher 100 years ago than it is today. Hard manual labor build strength. If you have a very large pool of people doing heavy manual work (that we use machines for today) it is likely that you will have a considerable number of people with very high levels of 'functional' strength.

None of whom could bend a railroad spike.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

All humans are limited in their capabilities. We tend to find limit the hard way.

Absolutely we are limited. The human tissues can only take so much before they fail. No one is going to deadlift 2000 pounds. You are correct. 

14 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Absolutely we are limited. The human tissues can only take so much before they fail. No one is going to deadlift 2000 pounds. You are correct. 

"Hold my beer and watch this."

Signed: Brad Castleberry 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

But, but, but you just have to believe and you can achieve lol

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Have you seen the new deadlift suit from titan?  The next generation of geared lifting.

In all seriousness, this is some wanky contraption a guy built.  Military contractors will be building exoskeletons that will allow people to lift 2 tons within the next decade.  Kinda scary.  By the way, the ending is hilarious when he finally fails on this video.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I regularly deadlift 2000lbs, just not all at once

57 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Have you seen the new deadlift suit from titan?  The next generation of geared lifting.

In all seriousness, this is some wanky contraption a guy built.  Military contractors will be building exoskeletons that will allow people to lift 2 tons within the next decade.  Kinda scary.  By the way, the ending is hilarious when he finally fails on this video.

Yes I have seen the suits. I’m betting they will be used in competition when made available. Just as ridiculous in my opinion to the suits they wear now, only on a grander scale of course.

Edited by Guest

58 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

The end is priceless.  Your body still has to support all the weight and the weight of the silly contraption.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Yeah but that's not what I said. I said "Exactly except the part I don't believe the legends who claim stronger things than the world strongest men who are fully juiced cannot do". So, the strongest back then is no way as near as strong as the average WSM competitor let alone a finalist or a podium finisher.

4 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

None of whom could bend a railroad spike.

Yep.

4 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

you sir, are a jealous man! Sri Chinmoy one hand should press 7000 LBS (or was it in KG?) and wrist curls 256 pounds bell 😎. Skip to 1:45. This makes the mighty atom and joe kinney jealous. That's a feat in itself. 

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Yeah but that's not what I said. I said "Exactly except the part I don't believe the legends who claim stronger things than the world strongest men who are fully juiced cannot do". So, the strongest back then is no way as near as strong as the average WSM competitor let alone a finalist or a podium finisher.

Yep.

you sir, are a jealous man! Sri Chinmoy one hand should press 7000 LBS (or was it in KG?) and wrist curls 256 pounds bell 😎. Skip to 1:45. This makes the mighty atom jealous. 

Hahahaha what the heck was that supposed to be?? 

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Hahahaha what the heck was that supposed to be?? 

Wrist curl, like a man 😎

• Like 1