Brian Shaw Lifts Millennium Dumbbell!

Bill Piche

1 hour ago, Alawadhi said:

Yep, hence my point being no one ever fully lifted it without a tilt.

In your views, is Brian's lift more impressive than this

I've seen all Laine's videos and yes I think Brian's lift is the most impressive. Except for the double lift that Laine did, which I mentioned.

17 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Question:  has anyone that has been a lifetime clean athlete ever lifted the Millennium DB?  I'm guessing Laine has been, but don't know his entire history.  

When Laine lifted pair of MDB ( previously had a very good attept of lifting 2*MDBs), MDB+Inch in his right hand, Inch clean, MDB trainer inch clean attempt (documented videos are attached) - he  was done with his professional career of track and field athlete (shot put), Highland Games, competetive BP (WDFPF) in 140 kg weight class due to number of injuries. Moreover, he was under doping control in accordance with Adam's protocol.

I know for sure Laine performed many other strength feats being unpublished, but, yet very and very impressive back then.

Edited by Stanislav

As I said on Facebook I still have the 'rules' poster Alan and I created. It IS more impressive to do a full deadlift with zero tilt but let's be brutally honest - most who argue this too much (cos the debates been going as long as the dumbbell has existed - so 19 years) are not among those who can do it in any form. And, among those that can, I've seen NO DEBATE AT ALL.

Funny that. Worth thinking about

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

On 4/21/2019 at 3:36 PM, Alawadhi said:

@Kashtan What happened to your YouTube channel? Why there are no videos?

Youtube claim put to me, I have content that is repeated by other authors. I had difficulties with this before, but I avoided because the timelines were indicated and specific videos were indicated, but now this is a common phrase, and I don’t know what to remove from my channel, to remove this claim. At first, I deleted the video from an attempt to break Inches WR of Mike Burke (from Rogue channel a episod), but then I realized that this did not make much sense, and decided to put all my videos in private. Feedback from Youtube is not to explain to me how to solve the problem, I decided to close the channel first, but for starters make all the videos closed. If there are options for how to resolve the issue, please let me know. Sorry for offtop.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 4:24 PM, Boulderbrew said:

It is on my lifetime list! I hope to be one of them 

Tanner, i put my money on you , that you will do it before the end of this year.

There was that Sorinex video taken at the Arnold 8 or 9 years ago where Brian Shaw very casually deadlifted a monster-sized thick handled circus dumbbell.

He did it right after Rich Williams did it. The difference was so significant it was striking. My WIFE, who hates this stuff, was stunned by the dichotomy from Tex to Rich to Shaw.  I dragged her over to the computer screen and she said "Wow!". Usually, it's an eye roll or worse.

Based on that video, at the time, I was convinced that Brian Shaw was the best one-handed thick bar dude in the world.

After watching this video, I am still convinced that he is. And, you generally won't find me going on and on about Brian's feats.  He's a multi-WSM winner, very tall, very heavy, works grip, good sized hands...of course he is going to be great on stuff like this!

I imagine there are a number of guys who remember that video (it gets posted every year or so) and know where it is, if there are newer folks who never saw it.

14 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I imagine there are a number of guys who remember that video (it gets posted every year or so) and know where it is, if there are newer folks who never saw it.

I found the video. No idea why or who took it out, as it "is no longer available".

On 4/21/2019 at 9:11 AM, Mike Rinderle said:

Question:  has anyone that has been a lifetime clean athlete ever lifted the Millennium DB?  I'm guessing Laine has been, but don't know his entire history.  

Prof. Desbonnet who had a chain of gyms in France during the late 1800's had his challenge dumbbell that weighed 226 lb with a 2 3/8" thick handle. During the 1890s three men could pick it up to at least knee height. Two of those three were John Grun Marx and Apollon(Louis Uni) who was reported to have Snatched it. Apollon was 6' 3", 260 lb and Marx 5' 11", 240 lb. I ASSUME the Millennium Dumbbell was inspired by Desbonnet's Challenge Dumbbell of the late 1800s. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mobsterone said:

As I said on Facebook I still have the 'rules' poster Alan and I created. It IS more impressive to do a full deadlift with zero tilt but let's be brutally honest - most who argue this too much (cos the debates been going as long as the dumbbell has existed - so 19 years) are not among those who can do it in any form. And, among those that can, I've seen NO DEBATE AT ALL.

Funny that. Worth thinking about

I'm defintely one of those guys that is nowhere close to lifting this.

However it is also funny to note that Brian couldn't get it of the ground after 4 attempts, while Laine gets it of the ground 7 times in a row...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Royz said:

However it is also funny to note that Brian couldn't get it of the ground after 4 attempts, while Laine gets it of the ground 7 times in a row...

Brian did pick up a lot of sandbags and kegs beforehand ....burns the flexors pretty good holding and running. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, James Fuller said:

Prof. Desbonnet who had a chain of gyms in France during the late 1800's had his challenge dumbbell that weighed 226 lb with a 2 3/8" thick handle. During the 1890s three men could pick it up to at least knee height. Two of those three were John Grun Marx and Apollon(Louis Uni) who was reported to have Snatched it. Apollon was 6' 3", 260 lb and Marx 5' 11", 240 lb. I ASSUME the Millennium Dumbbell was inspired by Desbonnet's Challenge Dumbbell of the late 1800s. 

Oh for sure. It started with an aim of being bigger by some margin (the aim was 50lbs) than the Inch. But there was some mention by Alan of Apollon's bell. The issue was, as he described it, a '3rd order of maths'. We, more or less, knew what the shaft would be (it's steel, lightly knurled with grooves in the end to 'lock' the cast iron ball ends onto - there's a photo somewhere). He then had to calculate the 'balls' weight in iron missing the shaft part. Hence it coming out at 228lbs and also hence why replicas all seem to weigh more (with 'Tanks' exception)

Edited by mobsterone
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, slazbob said:

Brian did pick up a lot of sandbags and kegs beforehand ....burns the flexors pretty good holding and running. 

Plus Laine practiced for it

• Like 2

7 hours ago, James Fuller said:

Desbonnets barbell, not dumbbell.

Not snatch, but high pull, to level shoulder or neck.

Other is correct.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kashtan said:

Youtube claim put to me, I have content that is repeated by other authors. I had difficulties with this before, but I avoided because the timelines were indicated and specific videos were indicated, but now this is a common phrase, and I don’t know what to remove from my channel, to remove this claim. At first, I deleted the video from an attempt to break Inches WR of Mike Burke (from Rogue channel a episod), but then I realized that this did not make much sense, and decided to put all my videos in private. Feedback from Youtube is not to explain to me how to solve the problem, I decided to close the channel first, but for starters make all the videos closed. If there are options for how to resolve the issue, please let me know. Sorry for offtop.

I don't know buddy. But you had lots of amazing documents there! Sometimes Google do stupid things. Maybe they are afraid of copyright issues.

11 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

There was that Sorinex video taken at the Arnold 8 or 9 years ago where Brian Shaw very casually deadlifted a monster-sized thick handled circus dumbbell.

He did it right after Rich Williams did it. The difference was so significant it was striking. My WIFE, who hates this stuff, was stunned by the dichotomy from Tex to Rich to Shaw.  I dragged her over to the computer screen and she said "Wow!". Usually, it's an eye roll or worse.

Based on that video, at the time, I was convinced that Brian Shaw was the best one-handed thick bar dude in the world.

After watching this video, I am still convinced that he is. And, you generally won't find me going on and on about Brian's feats.  He's a multi-WSM winner, very tall, very heavy, works grip, good sized hands...of course he is going to be great on stuff like this!

That video is amazing. I am sure @Kashtan have it and can share it.

8 hours ago, James Fuller said:

I don't buy this story. No one ever snatched the Inch let alone a dumbbell of Millennium specs. The old people always have these fantastic stories to tell.

4 hours ago, Royz said:

I totally agree. No one is even close. No one. Everyone will give their opinion, but opinion doesn't matter when no one on video or a comp can beat the 7 straight reps of Laine Snook. Just stating facts here buddy.

1 hour ago, slazbob said:

Buts ifs maybe will never finish. The end result is what matters.

36 minutes ago, mobsterone said:

Plus Laine practiced for it

Yep. But that's the way of everything of you wanna be the best in it yeah? 7 reps VS 3.5 reps? I pick 7. Math is good and simple.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, mobsterone said:

Oh for sure. It started with an aim of being bigger by some margin (the aim was 50lbs) than the Inch. But there was some mention by Alan of Apollon's bell. The issue was, as he described it, a '3rd order of maths'. We, more or less, knew what the shaft would be (it's steel, lightly knurled with grooves in the end to 'lock' the cast iron ball ends onto - there's a photo somewhere). He then had to calculate the 'balls' weight in iron missing the shaft part. Hence it coming out at 228lbs and also hence why replicas all seem to weigh more (with 'Tanks' exception)

The section missing from the shaft globe intersection is called a frustum, there's a nice formula for its volume that's not too hard to work with. A frustum that doesn't divide a sphere is a spherical cap, also has a nice formula if you can decide its height. Fun facts. 

• Like 4

Seen this on YouTube, great lifting, (yes slight tilt). I don't think it's fair to say nobody has been close to Laine doing 7 reps when Steve has done 9 reps in a couple minutes. Possibly not as impressive with not being straight reps but for sure complete domination. Course he's done it with added weight too (which im sure Laine could also do).

On 4/23/2019 at 12:29 PM, Kashtan said:

Other is correct.

Ahh. Yes and no. They quite often had what we would now call either a short handed barbell or long handled dumbbell. The terms were, then at least, interchangeable. There was very little standardization for a LONG time lol

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 1:14 PM, Climber028 said:

The section missing from the shaft globe intersection is called a frustum, there's a nice formula for its volume that's not too hard to work with. A frustum that doesn't divide a sphere is a spherical cap, also has a nice formula if you can decide its height. Fun facts. 

It sounds less like the technical term it is and more like a curse word lol.

On 4/23/2019 at 7:29 AM, Kashtan said:

Other is correct.

Dumbbell NOT Barbell.

Snatched, actually Muscle Snatched and lost control as it was going overhead.

On 4/23/2019 at 8:09 AM, Alawadhi said:
On 4/22/2019 at 11:17 PM, James Fuller said:

"I don't buy this story. No one ever snatched the Inch let alone a dumbbell of Millennium specs. The old people always have these fantastic stories to tell."

IF you look through the history of Marx & Apollon, they did MANY of incredible overall strength feats INCLUDING grip feats in front of thousands of people over the course of their careers and NEITHER shied away from a challenge. Apollon had VERY large hands and forearms. It wasn't until Bill Kazmaier came along 80 years later, that a strongman had a forearm larger than Apollon's. He was known to be a psyche or anger lifter. IF you challenged him, he really turned on the gas. He was already stronger than most but, if you got him angry, he would do some ungodly lifts involving grip or Clean & Jerks or bending bars....ANYTHING. History proves these gents were the real deal. I believe its so easy for us to be Doubting Thomas when we can't 'see' the lift in question being done. Would we believe Laine Snook's feats without so much as a picture? Would we believe Jedd Johnson's double YORK Deep Dish Pinch Lift without video but, testimony of those who saw it?? We are here doing what we do because of those we came before us. We should give credit where credit is due. If you choose not to believe in their abilities, fine. Without video or pictures, its the Historians who do the research that are left to represent them and help us remember from whence we came....

Edited by James Fuller
  • Like 1

It's not THAT hard in reallity. If you can lift the 172lb Inch multiple times you can lift the Millennium with much training, too. I got some good air under the Millennium after German Nationals  - i think 2016.. with my lowest bodyweight of 102kg.

of course it's hard - but the under 105kg guys like Gabriel, Tanner, Adam, Gil, me... are able to lift the Millennium one day.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 6:57 AM, James Fuller said:

IF you look through the history of Marx & Apollon, they did MANY of incredible overall strength feats INCLUDING grip feats in front of thousands of people over the course of their careers and NEITHER shied away from a challenge. Apollon had VERY large hands and forearms. It wasn't until Bill Kazmaier came along 80 years later, that a strongman had a forearm larger than Apollon's. He was known to be a psyche or anger lifter. IF you challenged him, he really turned on the gas. He was already stronger than most but, if you got him angry, he would do some ungodly lifts involving grip or Clean & Jerks or bending bars....ANYTHING. History proves these gents were the real deal. I believe its so easy for us to be Doubting Thomas when we can't 'see' the lift in question being done. Would we believe Laine Snook's feats without so much as a picture? Would we believe Jedd Johnson's double YORK Deep Dish Pinch Lift without video but, testimony of those who saw it?? We are here doing what we do because of those we came before us. We should give credit where credit is due. If you choose not to believe in their abilities, fine. Without video or pictures, its the Historians who do the research that are left to represent them and help us remember from whence we came....

Sorry but all this seems like a fairy tale to me. I don't believe in legends. And no word is bond. Thomas Inch himself didn't lift the Inch and was a fraud. People getting stronger the more angry they get? How old are you dude? This sounds to me like a cartoon I used to watch 20 years back called Dragon Ball. The angrier they got, the stronger they were. Forget the past legends. Magicians too did their "magic" in front of thousands of people. That means it was slight of hands, not magic. Doesn't mean at all it was true. Some magicians can lift an unliftable box with one finger. It doesn't mean it's real. People don't believe @Jedd Johnson or @LAINE SNOOK based on words alone. They proved themselves to everyone around the world. In person, in video's, and most importantly in comps. And they can do their feat over and over again. And the things they do are realistic. Snatch a Millennium bell? Give me a break. No one snatched an Inch and you are taking about something 25 KG more? Someone told @Joseph Sullivan a story one which he doesn't believe, Abraham Lincoln two finger pinched 20 pounds 33 Inches sledge hammer horizontally to the ground because he can get angry. My advice to you is to stop believe whatever you are watching and live in the real world and see what World Strongest Men/Gripsters can or can not do and use logic to compare it to these "legends". And forget these rubbish godly powers given to old time strongmen when angry. Right @Stanislav?

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Sorry but all this seems like a fairy tale to me. I don't believe in legends. And no word is bond. Thomas Inch himself didn't lift the Inch and was a fraud. People getting stronger the more angry they get? How old are you dude? This sounds to me like a cartoon I used to watch 20 years back called Dragon Ball. The angrier they got, the stronger they were. Forget the past legends. Magicians too did their "magic" in front of thousands of people. That means it was slight of hands, not magic. Doesn't mean by any mean it was true. Some magicians can lift an unliftable box with one finger. It doesn't mean it's real. People don't believe @Jedd Johnson or @LAINE SNOOK based on words alone. They proved themselves to everyone around the world. In person, in video's, and most importantly in comps. And they can do their feat over and over again. And things they are are realistic. Snatch a Millennium bell? Give me a break. No one snatched an Inch and you are taking about something 25 KG more? Some told @Joseph Sullivan a story one which he doesn't believe, Abraham Lincoln two finger pinched 20 pounds 33 Inches sledge hammer horizontally to the ground because he can get angry. My advice to you is to stop believe whatever you are watching and live in the real world and see what World Strongest Men/Gripsters can or can not do and use logic to compare it to these "legends". And forget these rubbish godly powers given to old time strongmen when angry. Right @Stanislav?

The thing is, many or most of the old timers were showmen, like magicians or Like the professional wrestling of today. They made their money off of doing unbelievable things. Unfortunately, probably, most of these unbelievable things were just as real as professional wrestling is. If it seems unbelievable, by today’s standards, most likely it is. We have men literally 2x the size of the old timers and juiced/hgh to the max. I can’t believe that men of the old days are that much stronger than the ones today. I would like to believe that some of it is real, but, for instance, the Cleaning and pressing the 172 anvil with one hand??? Come on now. No way is anyone grabbing the 172 pound anvil and kettlebell swinging it up to there shoulder and pressing it from the face with one hand. Rumor has it that it was really a 100-110 pound anvil. I cannot remember where I read that information. 

So, in conclusion, we are to take these unbelievable things with a grain of salt and just appreciate them for what they are. Give them credit for making us interested in what we do, and trying to duplicate it. I do not believe most of the old time unbelievable things. But, who knows? I would like to think some of them are legit.

Joe