IronMind Products

Colin Ramsey

Just a general question for anyone who is willing to give me your honest opinion. What do you think about IronMind products in regards to their price/quality ratio? Needless to say, their products are very pricey. I've been grip training for a little over three years now, and in my opinion almost anything you can buy from them can be bought elsewhere with better quality for either a similar price or less expensive. There are obviously a few products they make that you can't find anywhere else (silver disc comes to mind, although a 2.5 kg plate would work), but in regards to loading pins, pinch blocks, rolling handle, the squat racks they make, harnesses, tow straps, sled, etc, I've found that better quality products exist at either the same or less cost. Thoughts?

• Like 1

IMHO and in no particular order:

- Grippers.  Good quality and never personally had any issues with the dozen or so which I own.  Worth the price and over the years they've been happy to replace any gripper deemed "defective" - and there have been very very few cases mentioned here. What other gripper manufacturer is so accommodating?

- Loading Pin.  Terrible quality.  Weld busted at the base after only a few years of use (I ended up making my own super heavy duty version that will never fail).  If you're looking to purchase a loading pin I suggest you look elsewhere.

- Rolling Thunder.  Don't own the current version (have used one a couple of times though) but there are better free spinning alternatives out there that will stand the test of time.  I'd much rather a FBBC Crusher based on everything I've seen and read.

Of the less mainstream stuff I own (LBH and Eagle Loops) I have no issues with the quality of either and I was happy with the prices.

Dave

• Like 1

They keep their price because they are "the brand" for grip sport. Gripper wise, they are the top dog in my opinion, since to me only the closes on the CoC grippers matter, I don't care about other companies. Rolling thunder is probably the worst, least consistent rolling handle on the market, but it's still the standard. Their belts, harnesses etc. are top quality, and will last a lifetime. 

• Like 1

I asked @ClayEdgin about this when I started buying grip gear. Essentially what he told me (and what makes sense to me), is that IM is the competition standard other gear is compared to. IM doesn't necessarily make the best gear, but it's the mainstream gear. There are lots of other versions of the [Blockbuster/Captains of Crush/Rolling Thunder], and those may be better ways to train and get stronger. But IM is a name that can't as easily be ignored, and they only care about their versions of the [Blockbuster/Captains of Crush/Rolling Thunder]. 

I personally have the Rolling Thunder plus the CoC2 and CoC3, and I intend to get certified Crushed to Dust and on the CoC3 someday. But I mostly train for those lifts with other gear. I would argue that they're important to have (access to to check where you are), but not necessary to train with on a regular basis.

• Like 3

Very off topic here, but I see you live in TX. If you are in the DFW area you should come train with us. We train every Sunday 

• Like 1

I clicked on a link the other day for their thick grip loadable dumbbell handles. They want $400, plus shipping I’m assuming.

Hard pass.

Do you know what the hell else I could buy for $400?!

Edited by FrankSobotka
  • Like 3

They are the big name.  That's what you are paying for.

Their grippers are very good and I have never had any issues with them.  They do vary a lot, but all grippers do.  It is inherent in the manufacturing process unless you want to pay $50 - $100 for a gripper.  Other grippers out there are as good, but these are the ones to own if you want to test yourself against the majority of the grip world.

LBH is a solid hunk of steel and by far the best known horn trainer out there. 

Everything else, they have either been surpassed in quality and functionality or equalled at a much lower price.  Often surpassed and at a lower price.  Just my two cents.

If paying for brands is your thing, then nothing wrong with ponying up the money.  You will get a quality product for sure.  My only exception to that would be the Rolling Thunder.  There are multiple handles out there that are way better for a reasonable price.  Crusher, Nightmare, Trilobyte, Titan Handle, every other rolling handle made...

• Like 2

@Mike Rinderle Do you have the Titan rolling handles? 

I had my eye on them for a while but I’ve had enough experiences with them and decided to support other companies 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gripmaniac said:

IMHO and in no particular order:

- Grippers.  Good quality and never personally had any issues with the dozen or so which I own.  Worth the price and over the years they've been happy to replace any gripper deemed "defective" - and there have been very very few cases mentioned here. What other gripper manufacturer is so accommodating?

- Loading Pin.  Terrible quality.  Weld busted at the base after only a few years of use (I ended up making my own super heavy duty version that will never fail).  If you're looking to purchase a loading pin I suggest you look elsewhere.

- Rolling Thunder.  Don't own the current version (have used one a couple of times though) but there are better free spinning alternatives out there that will stand the test of time.  I'd much rather a FBBC Crusher based on everything I've seen and read.

Of the less mainstream stuff I own (LBH and Eagle Loops) I have no issues with the quality of either and I was happy with the prices.

Dave

Yeah same thing happened with the loading pin I had from them and the pinch block, both of which had a weld break. As far as grippers, COC's are good, no disputing that. However, I would wager to say that GHP's are better IMO.

5 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

They are the big name.  That's what you are paying for.

Their grippers are very good and I have never had any issues with them.  They do vary a lot, but all grippers do.  It is inherent in the manufacturing process unless you want to pay $50 - $100 for a gripper.  Other grippers out there are as good, but these are the ones to own if you want to test yourself against the majority of the grip world.

LBH is a solid hunk of steel and by far the best known horn trainer out there. 

Everything else, they have either been surpassed in quality and functionality or equalled at a much lower price.  Often surpassed and at a lower price.  Just my two cents.

If paying for brands is your thing, then nothing wrong with ponying up the money.  You will get a quality product for sure.  My only exception to that would be the Rolling Thunder.  There are multiple handles out there that are way better for a reasonable price.  Crusher, Nightmare, Trilobyte, Titan Handle, every other rolling handle made...

I agree man. I have a crusher and have never looked back. I would say GHP's are the best in the business when it comes to grippers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

Very off topic here, but I see you live in TX. If you are in the DFW area you should come train with us. We train every Sunday 

I am about 1.5 hours west of Dallas. Where do you train?

8 minutes ago, Colin Ramsey said:

I am about 1.5 hours west of Dallas. Where do you train?

I'll DM you

22 hours ago, FrankSobotka said:

@Mike Rinderle Do you have the Titan rolling handles? 

I had my eye on them for a while but I’ve had enough experiences with them and decided to support other companies 

I do.  Well made but it has an enamel coating that is slick.  Doesn't hold chalk.  But I like that it is harder than a crusher.  Means my numbers are better when I can get a lil grip in a contest.  Here's a review I did when I first got it.  I've since done over 180.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Colin Ramsey said:

I agree man. I have a crusher and have never looked back. I would say GHP's are the best in the business when it comes to grippers

CoCs are great, but I think I have to agree with this. GHPs and BBs are probably my favorite grippers all around.

49 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I do.  Well made but it has an enamel coating that is slick.  Doesn't hold chalk.  But I like that it is harder than a crusher.  Means my numbers are better when I can get a lil grip in a contest.  Here's a review I did when I first got it.  I've since done over 180.

Nice! Maybe I'll pick them up after all. 

So cheap too, all I have to do is return the cans that are in my garage and I can probably get all 3!

In my opinion.....

ironmind axle is awesome and the standard for an axle  

I M grippers are the best ones I’ve seen  

rolling thunder, only own it to see where I’m at for a competition 

little big horn is the best anvil handle on the market 

eagle loops are solid 

hub is solid 

iron mind stacker, can be made cheap at home 

dinny ring is solid 

so, like some said, having this equipment is worth it to test amongst the masses and for competitions that have use of them. 

My biggest irk is the shipping being sometimes as much as the items you ordered. 

4 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

In my opinion.....

ironmind axle is awesome and the standard for an axle  

I M grippers are the best ones I’ve seen  

rolling thunder, only own it to see where I’m at for a competition 

little big horn is the best anvil handle on the market 

eagle loops are solid 

hub is solid 

iron mind stacker, can be made cheap at home 

dinny ring is solid 

so, like some said, having this equipment is worth it to test amongst the masses and for competitions that have use of them. 

My biggest irk is the shipping being sometimes as much as the items you ordered. 

The Ironmind axle is very nice, but my God!  That kind of money and shipping for a piece of pipe?  Unless I promoted a lot of contests that used an IM axle, I just couldn't justify the money.  

2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

The Ironmind axle is very nice, but my God!  That kind of money and shipping for a piece of pipe?  Unless I promoted a lot of contests that used an IM axle, I just couldn't justify the money.  

That’s why I bought mine for a third of the price second hand my maaaannnnn! 😉✊🔥

I love the Ironmind Apollo Axle.  I do agree the products vary in their quality compared to the market.  I've been really impressed with Arm Assassin's products, pricing, and shipping costs.  FBBC has been great to work with, I should really order some of his non-benders bar products.   Personally, I like supporting smaller businesses.  Has anyone compared the Iron Mind LBH to FBBC's anvil?  Are they even in the same league? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, japete01 said:

I love the Ironmind Apollo Axle.  I do agree the products vary in their quality compared to the market.  I've been really impressed with Arm Assassin's products, pricing, and shipping costs.  FBBC has been great to work with, I should really order some of his non-benders bar products.   Personally, I like supporting smaller businesses.  Has anyone compared the Iron Mind LBH to FBBC's anvil?  Are they even in the same league? 

Totally different shapes. The FBBC one is molded from an actual anvil horn and much more expensive. You see the Ironmind horn contested much more than the FBBC handle I’m guessing because not many people have the FBBC one .

Edited by Guest

I've had many of their products and all of them has worked flawlessly for me, never had any problems. I think the design of the rolling thunder is bad but I've been lucky to get one of their good handles. As long as you maintain it, make sure chalk is not getting inside under the handle, I think you'll be fine. 

Thank you, Joe.  Very valid point.  The FBBC is not inexpensive by any stretch, but a lot cheaper than an anvil.  Probably overkill for a newbie like me!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 3:38 AM, Gripgoals said:

Only piece I like is rollinging thunder. Blockbuster and hub are slick as he'll.  Ghp grippers are superior.  

It depends what you compare them to, comparing with Robert Baraban pinch blocks, IM blocks are abrasive :D

GHP's are nice, especially to train with but they are harder to judge because of the rounded edges.

On 5/6/2019 at 10:41 PM, Fist of Fury said:

It depends what you compare them to, comparing with Robert Baraban pinch blocks, IM blocks are abrasive :D

GHP's are nice, especially to train with but they are harder to judge because of the rounded edges.

That might be my one "complaint" about them, if you can even call it that. But when it comes to quality, they're pretty much beyond reproach IMO. Their details stand out as well, they're very nice looking grippers.