Southwest Region grip championship

Boulderbrew

Not exactly a full write up, but here are some photos and videos of my trip to AZ. Swipe through to see more. 

• Like 7

Great stuff Tanner. That blob looks incredibly hard to lift and that bend by Adam was totally effortless! Any idea how these bars compare to the IM Red Nail?

1 minute ago, Fist of Fury said:

Great stuff Tanner. That blob looks incredibly hard to lift and that bend by Adam was totally effortless! Any idea how these bars compare to the IM Red Nail?

Thanks! It has a slick paint on it. That bastard bar is made to the same specs as a red nail. I have also seen Adam reverse bend a red nail 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Thanks! It has a slick paint on it. That bastard bar is made to the same specs as a red nail. I have also seen Adam reverse bend a red nail 

That's cool, not many people in the world can do that!

4 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

That's cool, not many people in the world can do that!

I know and the craziest part is, he doesn’t train for this feat at all. He can just do it on command pretty much whenever 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Looks like you guys had so much fun! I can't believe I had to miss watching you guys do those feats.

I'll be in therapy for a couple more weeks due to Delta Airlines failing me on this one.

We were all pretty bummed when we heard what happened. Hopefully next year you can make it. It illustrates one of many reasons I prefer driving everywhere. 

• Like 2

Aaron and I have already been discussing trophy ideas for next year. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, bwwm said:

Aaron and I have already been discussing trophy ideas for next year. 😉

Theoretically I should be out of the doghouse by then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

I'd always rather drive as well. I drove to this comp last year and did some canyon hiking in Cedar Mesa, Utah on the way home. Next year for sure...

You guys drive out next time and have some time on Sunday or earlier in the week before comp we should go to the Desert Museum. Heidi and I are members there and it is so damn cool.

https://www.desertmuseum.org/visit/exhibits.php

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, acorn said:

You guys drive out next time and have some time on Sunday or earlier in the week before comp we should go to the Desert Museum. Heidi and I are members there and it is so damn cool.

https://www.desertmuseum.org/visit/exhibits.php

You know I’m down for that. I hear the Desert Museum pairs well with Scotch. 

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, EricMilfeld said:

You know I’m down for that. I hear the Desert Museum pairs well with Scotch. 

Most certainly does. Just don't fall into the Mountain Lion pen.

Also they have a pretty amazing live reptile and insect collection if you are into that sort of thing. Bunch of different types of Tarantulas which I think you said you are a fan of.

Edited by acorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

I would really like to visit the Desert Museum. My wife and I visited about 18 years ago. The aviary was magical and we saw javelina for the first and only time.

Yes the regular aviary is cool. Going in the Humming Bird aviary is really cool too. One of my favorite things there is the Raptor Free Flight show. That is outside with 3 different Raptors. Have had Falcon, Harris Hawk and Owl wings brush my face as they fly by so close.

Edited by acorn
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, acorn said:

Most certainly does. Just don't fall into the Mountain Lion pen.

Also they have a pretty amazing live reptile and insect collection if you are into that sort of thing. Bunch of different types of Tarantulas which I think you said you are a fan of.

Once I cured Sandy of arachnophobia she became an even bigger fan of spiders than myself! 

It really does sound like a fun outing if we can stay out of that mountain lion pen. 

• Like 2

Spend a week there. Tons to see and do. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

we saw javelina for the first and only time

Sometimes they can get nasty if you run into them out in the wild, so best to keep it that way. 😉

After all the Saturday hijinks, I think my hands and forearms will be ready to train grip another week or so.  😉

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bwwm said:

Sometimes they can get nasty if you run into them out in the wild, so best to keep it that way. 😉

I've only been up close and personal in the wild with them a few times and thankful they didn't get spooked and tear me apart. Their eyesight is terrible and rage is fierce. Sharp tusks you gotta worry about like a razorback.

- Aaron

• Like 1

There's also the Pima Air and Space Museum.  I have never been there myself, but definitely on the bucket list.

http://www.pimaair.org/

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bwwm said:

There's also the Pima Air and Space Museum.  I have never been there myself, but definitely on the bucket list.

http://www.pimaair.org/

Oh yeah that place is awesome. We have events sometimes there for my work and rent the place out. 

• Like 1