Pain in setting area

Shal9097

I just started working with my hg250 and hg300. I did a workout with attempts on those grippers three days ago, and since then I’ve had pain in the spot where the gripper sits in my palm. There is no bruise, and no pain with movement, but it is sore to the touch and hurts to press even a light gripper into it. Is this something that will go away as I work more with heavier grippers and my hand gets used to them?

Yes, it's just force compressing the tissue that's not used to that kind of pressure. It will toughen up, but be smart.

Grippers are something I couldn't do every day even if i wanted to, and it's partly because of what you're describing here. I don't think it's a real issue, but after your palms have been pushed into and scraped by a heavy gripper,  they'll need a little recovery too. 

I've developed a callous on that spot on both hands. Wigged me out at first, but it's not exactly a natural movement we all do on a daily basis. Your hands just need to get used to it. If it hurts, give it a rest. If it's uncomfortable, figure out if you can work on your setting technique. It's easy to overtrain grippers early on.

Just go easy and build up slowly.The first time I did KTA gripper program I quit b/c the tissue and skin on my hands were too sore. After I toughened them up I was able to successfully complete KTA at a later date.

It's completely normal and it's a big problem when doing high volume training with grippers.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 3:45 AM, Shal9097 said:

I just started working with my hg250 and hg300. I did a workout with attempts on those grippers three days ago, and since then I’ve had pain in the spot where the gripper sits in my palm. There is no bruise, and no pain with movement, but it is sore to the touch and hurts to press even a light gripper into it. Is this something that will go away as I work more with heavier grippers and my hand gets used to them?

Hey bud I had the exact same pain recently, and it took around 4 months to go away for me personally.

On 4/18/2019 at 1:29 AM, Hopefully said:

would you recommend giving kta a go?

It really depends on how much grip work you've done in the past. I found it to be an intense program and would not recommend it for beginners. I found that even though my hands had toughened up by the time I did it the second time, I still taped my fingers, and at times my palms, as much as i needed to allow me to continue the high reps and as little as possible to allow them to continue to build callouses and adapt. I found the key for me was recovery, recovery, recovery. I massaged them every day, stretched them, tried to get a full nights sleep every night and for me the most helpful part was soaking them in ice water, then hot water, back and forth several times.

It's also recommended in the program that the only grip work to do is KTA and all other types of grip work is put on hold until after the program is completed. That would also be my recommendation.

• Like 1

KTA needs to be taken very seriously since it really taxes the hands. I will say if you stay away from other grip training it will really build up your gripper strength.