Ft. Worth Grip Contest

EricMilfeld

30 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

The Saxon bars for Sunday are both thicker than Aaron Corcorran's?  (Sorry if I misspelled that, AC).  I'm thinking that the two I've tried (Sorinex and CTS) were both 2 inches.  Are numbers lifted usually less on the 2.5 and 3?  Assuming so.  No idea where to start but I guess I can try it for a warmup or two before its contested ...

Depends on the hand. If I currently owned a 2” it would also be offered. 

• Like 1

I've never done last-man-standing before; does that mean you can start at any weight and just stay in as long as you make each lift?  In that case, not knowing the 2.5 is not such a big deal, as I can just start at the lowest weight and see how far I go.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I've never done last-man-standing before; does that mean you can start at any weight and just stay in as long as you make each lift?  In that case, not knowing the 2.5 is not such a big deal, as I can just start at the lowest weight and see how far I go.

You will able to lift as many times as you choose until you are out. Your score is the heaviest successful lift. If you miss an attempt you are out for the event. 

Show up, lift your best. Then train to lift another day 💪👍🇱🇷

40 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

You will able to lift as many times as you choose until you are out. Your score is the heaviest successful lift. If you miss an attempt you are out for the event. 

Show up, lift your best. Then train to lift another day 💪👍🇱🇷

Cool.  I'm used to the 4-attempt comps, where choosing your attempt weights is an art.  Here just start low for warmups and stay in as long as you can, not much to choose, just try.  I'm game.

46 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Cool.  I'm used to the 4-attempt comps, where choosing your attempt weights is an art.  Here just start low for warmups and stay in as long as you can, not much to choose, just try.  I'm game.

The strategy involved in last man standing format is knowing which weights to pass on and which ones to attempt. Attempt too many weights and you'll just tire yourself unnecessarily.

I run most of my contests using last man standing format. I've seen guys attempt every single weight option until they failed. Sometimes this meant going to the platform 12+ times! In a LMS format, I still only make about four attempts, because generally I know what I should be able to lift. But for those who don't, it's nice not having the stress that comes from having to select weight attempts.

3 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

The strategy involved in last man standing format is knowing which weights to pass on and which ones to attempt. Attempt too many weights and you'll just tire yourself unnecessarily.

I run most of my contests using last man standing format. I've seen guys attempt every single weight option until they failed. Sometimes this meant going to the platform 12+ times! In a LMS format, I still only make about four attempts, because generally I know what I should be able to lift. But for those who don't, it's nice not having the stress that comes from having to select weight attempts.

OK thanks.  I agree, I probably shouldn't do it every time if that would mean 12 -- but since I don't know the implement, I will appreciate the flexibility of starting low and not feeling bound by four.

Last question because I am leaving for airport in five minutes:  To set the gripper to get the hold on the silver bullet, before time begins to run, can you use your body as well as your off hand?  Or just off hand?

See y'all tomorrow!  Let's have some fun!

59 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Last question because I am leaving for airport in five minutes:  To set the gripper to get the hold on the silver bullet, before time begins to run, can you use your body as well as your off hand?  Or just off hand?

Whatever you want to do- the time begins when the bullet is legally positioned in the gripper and the gripper is held level with one hand. 👍 full explanation will be provided before hand and the best man in the world at the event is there to help you with pointers 💪

18 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

The best man in the world at the event is there to help you with pointers 💪

Sorry Adam, not going to make it down.  But maybe Tanner can help him.  😂🤣😂🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Sorry Adam, not going to make it down.  But maybe Tanner can help him.  😂🤣😂🤣

Tanner is almost as much of a newbie as I am.  For all we know, maybe HE is the one who needs pointers, and 40 seconds on a COC 4 is just what he gets when he does it WRONG.  But yeah, just wanted to know what was allowed because that may affect what I try.  Also the 3-attempt modification takes out the risk.  Time to rest for a second attempt, etc.  Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

A flash on how it went - wow what a tremendous contest! Fantastic results today, I’m certain every competitor had meet PRs. Lifting at the Metroflex is my favorite spot to chase big lifts and it seemed to be true for everyone else.  Official score card and results will be posted later this evening. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

A flash on how it went - wow what a tremendous contest! Fantastic results today, I’m certain every competitor had meet PRs. Lifting at the Metroflex is my favorite spot to chase big lifts and it seemed to be true for everyone else.  Official score card and results will be posted later this evening

00 aa 00.jpg

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Haha 1

Scores from the contest- thank you Riccardo Magni for the spread sheet 👍

624ECE5A-894E-40A2-BA77-DC20BC4CE5CB.png

• Like 11

Great job everyone! 

• Like 2

From Left to Right 

Vinnie, Tommy, Eric, Tanner, Adam, Riccardo, Jamie, Danny, & Steven. 

C8656B69-C296-465F-A72F-183010042B99.jpeg

• Like 8

Good to see real lifting in a grip comp (aka axle).

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Good to see real lifting in a grip comp (aka axle).

A lot of us were saying the opposite - that the axle is too close to a powerlifting event, and grip/armlifting is a niche sport specializing in hand and arm strength.  Some people love both, of course, and that's great.  But some of us were saying that a 2 3/8 axle would show results more aligned with grip prowess than brute strength.  Not all of us.  I think this is a debate that comes up in grip sometimes.  Anyway, just figured I'd mention it, there is no real right or wrong, it is the promoter's call at each event and I'm gonna go to as many as I can regardless.