Ft. Worth Grip Contest

EricMilfeld

We’re still finalizing details, but the contest will be Sunday June 23rd at Metroflex Ft. Worth. Likely events include: Axle, revolving handle, Saxon bar, Silver Bullet, and maybe a double 2” v-bar lift. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

We’re still finalizing details, but the contest will be Sunday June 23rd at Metroflex Ft. Worth. Likely events include: Axle, revolving handle, Saxon bar, Silver Bullet, and maybe a double 2” v-bar lift. 

Is the date definite?  Because I can get roundtrip flight from NYC, 2 nights in hotel, and rental car to arrive at Fort Worth convention center area Saturday and leave Monday, total of $433 for all that.  That would be a great deal and I haven't been to Texas in 15 years.

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Is the date definite?  Because I can get roundtrip flight from NYC, 2 nights in hotel, and rental car to arrive at Fort Worth convention center area Saturday and leave Monday, total of $433 for all that.  That would be a great deal and I haven't been to Texas in 15 years.

I just confirmed the date with Riccardo Magni. 😀

10 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

I just confirmed the date with Riccardo Magni. 😀

This is intriguing.  I need a good steak.  And some Saxon bar.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I think that is what everyone needs. :)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Fort Worth may be just the sort of town you’re looking for. Saxon Bar is the greatest event grip has ever known. And steak is the greatest fuel for the greatest event. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Wish I could make it, but I have my kids that week.  I would definitely hit up Spring Creek BBQ, Papadeux's, Papasitas, etc.

Edited by bwwm
  • Like 1

I just booked!  Steak and Saxon bar here I come!

• Like 3

My flight lands in DFW at 4:37pm on Saturday (and I am getting a rental car).  Happy to meet up with folks who want steak the night before.  Unless I am trying to make weight lol.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I just booked!  Steak and Saxon bar here I come!

Well hell yeah!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

Well hell yeah!

YOU:  Keep that weight on, bro!  I wanna see what I can do in the 83K!  I'm looking to get to 74K but not by June ...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Should I be nervous that I haven't seen anything more about this comp?  Because I have my plane tix and hotel already lol.  If the comp falls through, I am still gonna wanna at least meet a couple of you gripsters for steak ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Should I be nervous that I haven't seen anything more about this comp?  Because I have my plane tix and hotel already lol.  If the comp falls through, I am still gonna wanna at least meet a couple of you gripsters for steak ...

It’s a go, I will post events and all details tomorrow after I get back to the sanctioning official👍👍

see you in June my friend 

• Like 3

Metroflex Fort Worth Show of Hands

23 June 19

Metroflex Fort Worth

10 am weigh in’s 

10:25 Rules briefing

10:30 Platforms open 

Grip strength contest returns to The Castle. 

Official contest

Double overhand deadlift with 2” Ironmind Apollon Axle. Rising bar, last man standing. 

Two hand pinch lift on the 2.5” Saxon bar. Rising bar, last man standing.

Single hand lift with Ironmind Rolling Thunder. Rising bar, last man standing. 

Silver Bullet Hold with Ironmind Captain of Crush grippers. 

Athletes will have 60 seconds to make a good attempt. Athletes are allowed to attempt any gripper on the table to establish a good lift during their 60 seconds. 

Scoring will be operated with the current Arm Lifting USA system. For detailed rules instruction see the Arm Lifting USA website. 

http://armliftingusa.com/

Weight class will be 90 kg, 105 kg, 105+ kg. 

Post contest 

• the Ironmind Crushed to Dust certification medley will be presented for anyone who wants to attempt. 
  • Challenge bell lift off 
  • Plate hold show downs 

Location is Metroflex Fort Worth 5501 Thelin St, Fort Worth TX. 

Note for anyone visiting DFW this location is 8 minutes drive south from downtown FW and 20 minutes west of the DFW airport. 

The Metroflex is a members only facility, nonmembers will have a $10 drop in fee.

• Like 2

I've got my tix and my room.  See y'all there!

• Like 2

On 5/8/2019 at 6:24 AM, Vinnie said:

I've got my tix and my room.  See y'all there!

Fantastic! See ya soon!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know the RGC rating of the 3.5 to be used for the SB hold?

Another question, since this is an Armlifting event and not a NAGS one (I am a member of both):

If I make it in under 80kg, even though this event does not have a separate 80kg weight class, are my stats entered into the 80kg  class?  I was fortunate enough to be invited to RUssia for the 80kg class this year and could not attend because of my divorce, but if I am able to earn an invite this year, I am in like Vin!

Also, do I recall correctly that, due to recent friendly collusion between NAGS and Armlifting, lifts may be entered into both stat databases for one's appropriate weight class?

None of the answers to the above questions, or the RGC of the COC 3.5, will change my enthusiasm about participating -- just curious.

10 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Another question, since this is an Armlifting event and not a NAGS one (I am a member of both):

If I make it in under 80kg, even though this event does not have a separate 80kg weight class, are my stats entered into the 80kg  class?  I was fortunate enough to be invited to RUssia for the 80kg class this year and could not attend because of my divorce, but if I am able to earn an invite this year, I am in like Vin!

Also, do I recall correctly that, due to recent friendly collusion between NAGS and Armlifting, lifts may be entered into both stat databases for one's appropriate weight class?

None of the answers to the above questions, or the RGC of the COC 3.5, will change my enthusiasm about participating -- just curious.

You better concentrate on NAGS for now old man.  :devil

• Like 1

Just now, Mike Rinderle said:

You better concentrate on NAGS for now old man.  :devil

I wouldn't beat you if I was 25.  Unless I was 25 and as big as you ...  HA!  But, I am coming for you on the silver bullet.  I don't need my injured left wrist for that.

• Like 1

Just now, Vinnie said:

I wouldn't beat you if I was 25.  Unless I was 25 and as big as you ...  HA!  But, I am coming for you on the silver bullet.  I don't need my injured left wrist for that.

But I am looking forward to my first comp in the Masters class.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Unless you're clamping the #4 for more than 7 seconds, you better keep dreamin.  :trout

JK.  I haven't touched a gripper in a long time.  My bum shoulders hurt like crazy when I try to set one, so I'm just going to hope for the best.  Will probably not even try the #4.

Edited by Mike Rinderle

46 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Unless you're clamping the #4 for more than 7 seconds, you better keep dreamin.  :trout

JK.  I haven't touched a gripper in a long time.  My bum shoulders hurt like crazy when I try to set one, so I'm just going to hope for the best.  Will probably not even try the #4.

Oh I wouldn't try a 4; I couldn't set even an easy one.  But if I get a 3.5 I can set, I can hold it for a bit.  My crush is better than my set.

Vinnie I have no idea on the grippers. Show up strong and you’ll be fine. It’s a set of 10 im cocs brought to the site. All gripper will be in the correct range of resistance- don’t expect anything to be easier than marked. 

For your records question of true weight vs weight class I’ll ask Riccardo how that shakes out. If you have ambition to go to Worlds in 2020 you need top 3 in your weight class. — if we get 5 or more lighter attendees we can roll out a lighter class but not if it’s a gimme deal of 2 people in the class. 

concerning lifts being recorded in other feds- don’t expect that. If someone sets a true WR maybe... but most likely no. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vinnie said:

If I make it in under 80kg, even though this event does not have a separate 80kg weight class, are my stats entered into the 80kg  class?

If you make it under the 80kg, your results should be updated as an 80kg competitor on the Armlifting USA website regardless of that weight class being represented at our event....at least that is my understanding. Probably best to ask Clay or Riccardo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1