Silvis Adjustables durability

db2000

I was considering getting one of these as a temporary measure until I fill gaps in my gripper collection. But currently it will mean I have to adjust the level frequently.

Are there any long term negative effects to constantly adjusting these grippers? will the screws not bite or the thread wear down?

Thanks

Hi

I have a adjustable Silvis which works well with regards to the screws, and the knurling on the handles are very comfortable and still you have a good grip. But during closing it has not the same smooth force build up as a GHP or an Ironmind gripper.

BR/Göran

40 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

If the threads or screws get bad or not mostly depends on you I would say. There is not much pressure needed to stop the handles from sliding. 

It's a high quality gripper imo. 

Cheers,

Yeah I was assuming you would have to tighten drastically. That eases my mind a bit!

1 hour ago, Hockey Stick said:

Hi

I have a adjustable Silvis which works well with regards to the screws, and the knurling on the handles are very comfortable and still you have a good grip. But during closing it has not the same smooth force build up as a GHP or an Ironmind gripper.

BR/Göran

Thanks, yeah I have read that, but I am thinking it might be a positive for me. This is only a temporary solution to owning more grippers

They are very good grippers, Don’t think twice about adding them to the collection.

6 minutes ago, Anthony C. said:

They are very good grippers, Don’t think twice about adding them to the collection.

I have already purchased the T-rex today! I just wasn't sure if I was making 4-6 adjustments a week would reduce the life of the gripper. 

4 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

From Silvis directly? Did you get a order Confirmation? 

Yeah from their website. I am in Australia so it was cheaper than US sites....but no confirmation 😦. Cannon is out of stock

1 hour ago, db2000 said:

I have already purchased the T-rex today! I just wasn't sure if I was making 4-6 adjustments a week would reduce the life of the gripper. 

Nah. I’ve had mine for years and haven’t experienced any of that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 9:58 PM, Hopefully said:

Thats what I thought. I hope you get it. 

I have tried several times for ~8 months to order from him but to no avail. Got my money back each time and he didn't respond to any mail besides from when I got pissed and demanded my money back. 

Let me know if you get it! 

Just got a refund with no contact....how annoying, such a bad business model 

Order some Tetting grippers, punch the mounting pins out, buy a threading tap and two small screws, then you have made yourself an adjustable gripper. Much better quality than Silvis also.

2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

From W warehouse? I reached out to them a while ago but no response, is it still possible to buy from them..? 

You might want to try again, he's definitely the slow type.

13 hours ago, db2000 said:

Just got a refund with no contact....how annoying, such a bad business model 

I bet they stopped making them? Terrible customer service either way though. 

11 hours ago, king crusher said:

I bet they stopped making them? Terrible customer service either way though. 

Questioned them on facebook. they said they may get them in July....so I am assuming they were out of stock but didnt indicate anywhere on the website that this is the case.

Its 2019, dont most websites keep track of your stock levels???

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Mostly to hopefully get lucky with the ratings. Also just.. I'll pay way more in shipping than for the grippers themselves so just buying 2 seems like a waste. But yeah, e, se and ge is probably the better choice. 

Yeah I would just get three different levels. The tetting grippers seem pretty close so you would probably get two elites within 3lbs of each other and that would suck imo. My elite is 166 and I've seen most fall pretty close to that.

20 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Thanks, he wrote back this time :)

I thought I'd order an Elite, SE and GE. But I noticed SE and GE is basically the same gripper ratings wise so perhaps only elite and one of the other is enough. What do you think? Maybe 2 Elites + 1 more? It's expensive so I'll only make an order like this once...

I would not buy any Elites if I were you, they come out consistently the same as #3.5's these days and I know you already have grippers in that range. I would buy two SE's instead. Or one SE and one GE.

30 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Yeah I would just get three different levels. The tetting grippers seem pretty close so you would probably get two elites within 3lbs of each other and that would suck imo. My elite is 166 and I've seen most fall pretty close to that.

Yup, I bought 3 Elites from him, Jedd rated them for me, all within 3 lbs. Very bad deal for me :D

• Like 1

I've been modifying Tetting grippers into adjustable mount setups for myself and others for over 10 years now. Probably 200+ grippers at this point though very few reach out to me to do the mod anymore with other options out there like the Silvis and easily obtainable grippers of specific ratings from Cannon powerworks as well as new Tettings are either scarce or a thing of the past. They work well as an adjustable when done right but if not done right the handles are prone to spin when closing. Just a heads up. I probably have 8-10 setup as adjustables in my personal set, that are set to hit hard to hit numbers.

- Aaron

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I would not buy any Elites if I were you, they come out consistently the same as #3.5's these days and I know you already have grippers in that range. I would buy two SE's instead. Or one SE and one GE.

Same as 3.5's??? No way.  I see them around 166-167. 3.5's are like 175-180. My 3.5 is way harder than my elite. When I was closing my elite I was 1/4" or a hair less off my 3.5

The last elite I bought came in at 183#.  So be careful on how many you buy.  

Edited by Adam Juncker
typo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, king crusher said:

Same as 3.5's??? No way.  I see them around 166-167. 3.5's are like 175-180. My 3.5 is way harder than my elite. When I was closing my elite I was 1/4" or a hair less off my 3.5

Yes way, they are usually much harder these days. If you want something in the 160's. GHP8 is the way to go.

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes way, they are usually much harder these days. If you want something in the 160's. GHP8 is the way to go.

Wow that's crazy. glad I got my 166 as it's the hardest I've closed to date. 

I have a mm3 that's 172. And my 3.5 is harder than that too

6 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Wow that's crazy. glad I got my 166 as it's the hardest I've closed to date. 

I have a mm3 that's 172. And my 3.5 is harder than that too

I've searched a lot for Elite's in the 160's but they are difficult to find because most people don't want to sell them. GHP8's is between low 160's to low 180's these days. I think most are under 180 though, Cannon can answer that more accurately.

3 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

The last elite I bought came in at 183#.  So be careful on how many you buy.  

Agreed, I have an Elite that came in at 187#. I figured it was mis-stamped and might have been a Super Elite. 

I have this still sealed Silvis T-Rex plus the still sealed extra handles. I sell it for 50 € plus shipping from Germany.