Inch Dumbbell Fun with Jason Otto

Mike Rinderle

Was down in Raleigh with my family for the weekend.   Drove down to Charlotte on Saturday morning to hang with @jasonotto .  Great guy and an awesome time. Dude is a beast with a lot of fun grip toys to play with.  Over two hours of various lifts and general fun.  

Lots of blockweight lifts, wrist wrench, and about a thousand lifts and feats with the Inch and a 53kg baby Inch.

I got the full sized Inch 2 or 3 times with 5 lbs added to reduce the spin.  Couldn't quite get it with no weight, but I'm close. It's a Sahlaney bell.  Then we went to the baby Inch for about an hour.  I got a couple of mid air transfers and tried in vain to clean it several times.  Close, but not quite.  Had Jason tried the mid air transfers before killing himself on the wrist wrench, he would have had it.  As it was, he was close about 50 times.  Can't wait to get back down to train.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 13

Yes sir! That was great fun.  If my hands allowed me too, I could've played with those transfers the rest of the day! My hands and arms are torched today.  U did great work with both bells yesterday.  They are addictive.   Cant wait for the next time!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jasonotto said:

Yes sir! That was great fun.  If my hands allowed me too, I could've played with those transfers the rest of the day! My hands and arms are torched today.  U did great work with both bells yesterday.  They are addictive.   Cant wait for the next time!

Dude... I'm thrashed.  Going to be a long drive back to Maryland today.   Thanks again for having me down brother. 

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Awesome work, Big Mike!

Thanks Joe!

• Like 1

Mike, Very cool that you were able to hook up with another very talented gripster! You guys did some great work👍 N.C. Has some crazy strong gripsters 

• Like 2

Easy and so close to the Inch!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Mike, Very cool that you were able to hook up with another very talented gripster! You guys did some great work👍 N.C. Has some crazy strong gripsters 

Yea, it's in the Charlotte water or something. Haha

7 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Easy and so close to the Inch!

Hopefully soon!

1 hour ago, Kashtan said:

Good job with Inches! 

Thanks!

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 9:38 AM, jasonotto said:

On top of having almost no skin left on my thumbs, my arms are still sore as heck.  Great workout buddy!

Your cleans remind me of mine, we both have terrible technique 😂 It's so awkward trying to get those globes to flip too. You definitely have the strength to clean that thing though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, temmmeeee said:

Your cleans remind me of mine, we both have terrible technique 😂 It's so awkward trying to get those globes to flip too. You definitely have the strength to clean that thing though.

Yea.  If I'm going to clean something.  I basically just have to hoist it 6 feet in the air because I have 0 technique or ability to drop down underneath it.  Lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Yea.  If I'm going to clean something.  I basically just have to hoist it 6 feet in the air because I have 0 technique or ability to drop down underneath it.  Lol

Haha we are in the same boat! And it's harder than just a high pull up to the neck/face level because ya gotta flip those dang globes. I bet you'll get it next time regardless

• Like 1

Yeah I'm hurtin.  That was a couple of hours of throwing a heavy thick handled bell from hand to hand.  But...what fun.  As far as it being a true clean or not, technique-wise...who cares? I know I sure dont care for picture perfect feats, especially like this one.  Anyone who can row it that high and almost get an elbow under it is pretty damn strong.  

• Like 1

What’s the weight of it, Mike? Is it 130? Here’s a video of me cleaning Jedds baby inch shot loadable. This one is 127. This was close to a hammer curl.  Easy on my arm and grip but terrible on the back IMO. You should try this one at Jedds next time. 

17 minutes ago, jasonotto said:

Yeah I'm hurtin.  That was a couple of hours of throwing a heavy thick handled bell from hand to hand.  But...what fun.  As far as it being a true clean or not, technique-wise...who cares? I know I sure dont care for picture perfect feats, especially like this one.  Anyone who can row it that high and almost get an elbow under it is pretty damn strong.  

If you're referring to my comments, I wasn't downing his attempts in any way at all or saying it wasn't a true clean, I was just saying that I have similar technique (or lack thereof lol). I'm king of ugly lifts 😉

• Like 2

No, not at all.  I just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone wanted to critique and question these lifts.  Because it would be a waste of breath on their part.  This clean attempt u just posted is beastly!

• Like 1

By the way Tim, it would be awesome to have you down to CLT for a session!!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, temmmeeee said:

If you're referring to my comments, I wasn't downing his attempts in any way at all or saying it wasn't a true clean, I was just saying that I have similar technique (or lack thereof lol). I'm king of ugly lifts 😉

We are clean twins!  🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jasonotto said:

No, not at all.  I just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone wanted to critique and question these lifts.  Because it would be a waste of breath on their part.  This clean attempt u just posted is beastly!

Ahh okay, I got scared that I came off as down-talking his beastly strength haha. Had to make sure. And thanks! It was close but no cigar.

5 minutes ago, jasonotto said:

By the way Tim, it would be awesome to have you down to CLT for a session!!

It'd be awesome to come train with you guys! It was so much fun hanging out during Gripmas

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

What’s the weight of it, Mike? Is it 130? Here’s a video of me cleaning Jedds baby inch shot loadable. This one is 127. This was close to a hammer curl.  Easy on my arm and grip but terrible on the back IMO. You should try this one at Jedds next time. 

I've actually cleaned that one at Jedd's.  This one is only 118 lbs, but the solid globes make it difficult to generate speed without it flying out of your hand after a 2 hour session.  Lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, temmmeeee said:

Ahh okay, I got scared that I came off as down-talking his beastly strength haha. Had to make sure. And thanks! It was close but no cigar.

Far from beastly.  But I think I have it figured out.  Next time I'm going to bounce it off my power belly, try to miss my moobs on the way up, and hope I don't knock out any teeth.  🤪

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I've actually cleaned that one at Jedd's.  This one is only 118 lbs, but the solid globes make it difficult to generate speed without it flying out of your hand after a 2 hour session.  Lol.

Ahhh so the fact that this is filled with shot, and not solid globes changes the dynamics? The 118 felt harder? I would love to get my hands on a baby inch. I put an add in wanted to buy. Would use it for high rep rows and some cleans .

12 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Ahhh so the fact that this is filled with shot, and not solid globes changes the dynamics? The 118 felt harder? I would love to get my hands on a baby inch. I put an add in wanted to buy. Would use it for high rep rows and some cleans .

Yea, just like a lot of gripsters could pick up a 172 lb shot loadable Inch but most would struggle with the real inch.  The shot loadables are anti spin.  The shot sitting in the bottom makes it resist spinning out of your hand.  You could have cleaned this one pretty easy Joe.  I don't have near your overall strength. 

5 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Yea, just like a lot of gripsters could pick up a 172 lb shot loadable Inch but most would struggle with the real inch.  The shot loadables are anti spin.  The shot sitting in the bottom makes it resist spinning out of your hand.  You could have cleaned this one pretty easy Joe.  I don't have near your overall strength. 

Man I ain’t what I used to be pre back injury. Man if I was without it I would love to see where I would be at. Makes me sick to my stomach... but hey, I still got something at least. Can’t complain. 😉

43 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Way harder for me. I failed to lift a 118 solid bell, no movement at all and a month later I lifted Jedds shot loaded 127 no problem like 4 times 

• Like 1