Axle Deadlifts

Bill Piche

13 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Anyone can have an opinion. Hafthor doesn't train his grip when he does this lift so it's completely irrelevant who has the stronger grip.

I'm proof it doesn't matter. I'm one of the weakest ones here but my opinions are the best. 

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

I'm proof it doesn't matter. I'm one of the weakest ones here but my opinions are the best. 

Mike,

The funny thing was, and I think this is what @Alawadhi meant by his comment, was that fist of fury said to me that my opinion didn’t matter because Thor is WSM. So, apparently my opinion did not matter, but his  did. Bader seems to have caught his obvious intent to downplay my opinion. The thread was about axle and why they use straps, I said my opinion, and as a grip guy, stated I thought it was stupid, still think it is, no matter who doesn’t, from  a grip stand point  Bills asked question was definitely in regards to grip, but my opinion wasn’t valued by someone , since I’m Not WSM and Thor is. 🤦‍♂️  Didn’t make sense to me, considering Thor wasn’t even in my consideration of the question, just what I thought about straps with axle, but hey, whatever. Everyone else, you better not disagree, because you aren’t WSM either!  How dare you have an opinion opposite! 🤡🤡🤡🤡

Edited by Guest
Spelling

53 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Mike,

The funny thing was, and I think this is what @Alawadhi meant by his comment, was that fist of fury said to me that my opinion didn’t matter because Thor is WSM. So, apparently my opinion did not matter, but his  did. Bader seems to have caught his obvious intent to downplay my opinion. The thread was about axle and why they use straps, I said my opinion, and as a grip guy, stated I thought it was stupid, still think it is, no matter who doesn’t, from  a grip stand point  Bills asked question was definitely in regards to grip, but my opinion wasn’t valued by someone , since I’m Not WSM and Thor is. 🤦‍♂️  Didn’t make sense to me, considering Thor wasn’t even in my consideration of the question, just what I thought about straps with axle, but hey, whatever. Everyone else, you better not disagree, because you aren’t WSM either!  How dare you have an opinion opposite! 🤡🤡🤡🤡

So how much do you deadlift? I'm going to assume it's nowhere near what Thor does. So yes your opinion doesn't matter because he's not training grip strength here. The topic was to find out why they do this and it's not to get a stronger grip, it's to get better at deadlifting.

I'm amazed how that can be so difficult to understand. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

So how much do you deadlift? I'm going to assume it's nowhere near what Thor does. So yes your opinion doesn't matter because he's not training grip strength here. The topic was to find out why they do this and it's not to get a stronger grip, it's to get better at deadlifting.

I'm amazed how that can be so difficult to understand. 

Most I’ve done? No straps? At 25 years old, and 170 pounds less than him,  720, drug free, what does my standard bar deadlift have to do with it?!  Didn’t ask Thors opinion on anything about deadlifts ! Or anything , else for that matter!   And what does my max deadlift have to do with it??  The QUESTION  was about straps with an axle, made by someone else, this is grip board, I responded the way I knew Bill was getting at. Why do they do it with an axle when an axle is usually a tool for grip. Put 2 and 2 together. Don’t care about Thor, brother , or what he does. Stated my opinion, you didn’t like it. It is you  I’m amazed  about how difficult it is to understand, not I. 🤡

Edited by Guest
Spelling

I did a Strongman comp a few years ago (along with Nick Rosendaul) which had Axle DL with straps - most reps in a minute.  Can't really say I understood the event but I didn't really care either.  It was darn hard but in a deadlift kind of way - not grip of course.  Axle does make it harder than a regular bar - it is further away from your body - but it doesn't chew your shins up either so there's that.  Promoters and contests have their choice of events - you compete with them or not I guess.  Oh I got 14 reps in a minute with 340# - not much for most of you but I thought it was hard.  thor would have laughed at it - with or without straps I'm sure.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, climber511 said:

I did a Strongman comp a few years ago (along with Nick Rosendaul) which had Axle DL with straps - most reps in a minute.  Can't really say I understood the event but I didn't really care either.  It was darn hard but in a deadlift kind of way - not grip of course.  Axle does make it harder than a regular bar - it is further away from your body - but it doesn't chew your shins up either so there's that.  Promoters and contests have their choice of events - you compete with them or not I guess.  Oh I got 14 reps in a minute with 340# - not much for most of you but I thought it was hard.  thor would have laughed at it - with or without straps I'm sure.

14 is awesome Chris!!!  My back would have been fine at 14 reps, but it wouldn't have mattered because I would have had a myocardial infarctiaon on the 8th or 9th rep anyway and they would have had to deadlift my corpse out of there so the next guy could go.  At that point, i wouldn't have cared if they used straps or not to pick me up. 

• Like 1

Interestingly Dain Wallis just released a new book on training for strongman, and though I haven't read it he gave his thoughts, on this topic, responding to someone's question:

Screenshot_20190327-192309_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20190327-192316_Instagram.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/27/2019 at 11:53 AM, Mike Rinderle said:

14 is awesome Chris!!!  My back would have been fine at 14 reps, but it wouldn't have mattered because I would have had a myocardial infarctiaon on the 8th or 9th rep anyway and they would have had to deadlift my corpse out of there so the next guy could go.  At that point, i wouldn't have cared if they used straps or not to pick me up. 

I think I got 405 for 16 Chris.

Speaking of huge axle pulls. Big Dan Harrison just pulled 824 on an axle beltless.  Yeah obviously with straps. He was known as meatloaf on here back in the day lol