Axle Deadlifts

Bill Piche

See about 5 minutes in. Why do Axle deadlifts with straps? Just because the bar dynamics are different?  Isn't the point about grip as well?

Yes it's only because of the dynamics are different. However in my opinion it would be much better to stand on blocks becuase then you could keep the same type of bar that you're going to use in competition.

I do them strapped all the time. Feels better to me than with a oly bar. I enjoy how I can not worry about tearing up my shins as well 

4 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

See about 5 minutes in. Why do Axle deadlifts with straps? Just because the bar dynamics are different?  Isn't the point about grip as well?

I’ve always asked this question myself. Why do strongmen do axle with straps. Totally defeatsthe reason for an axle IMO. Waste.

Strongman often has axle deadlift events. The no flex of the bar, no spin of the sleeves, and larger diameter putting the bar slightly out in front of you makes it more difficult for most people. Thor is training for Europe's Strongest Man in April which has a 350kg axle deadlift for reps. They also like to use giant weights instead of plates and have the athletes raised up to bring it to a normal height. Strongman is supposed to be all about the spectacle after all.

• Like 4

They train that way because they compete that way. Blame the competitions for making silly events. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I’ve always asked this question myself. Why do strongmen do axle with straps. Totally defeatsthe reason for an axle IMO. Waste.

Because the ROM is larger with no flex in the bar.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Either way, IMO, it’s stupid to use straps with an axle

I don’t think it’s stupid. It works my posterior chain much harder because of the inch or so the weight is further away from you. 

Now I think stupid would be to only do them with straps all the time 

http://mythicalstrength.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-axle-deadlift-with-straps-why-you.html?m=1

Edited by FrankSobotka
  • Like 2

Bicep tears using the larger bar and alternate grip is the common reason I hear. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Either way, IMO, it’s stupid to use straps with an axle

I'm pretty sure Thor knows what he's doing, also pretty sure he don't care about your opinion on the matter :D

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I'm pretty sure Thor knows what he's doing, also pretty sure he don't care about your opinion on the matter :D

Ok, first off, your answer is pretty sarcastic, second, it’s my opinion and could care less what anyone thinks, that’s why I said IMO, and third, as a grip guy , I still think it’s stupid to use straps on an axle, so your back handed comment  means  nothing. Furthermore, it was Bill asking the question, not Thor, so I could care less what Thor does. Thor wasn’t even on my radar in answering the question. 

Edited by Guest

People don’t want to see 4-500# double overhand deadlifts in a strongman competition either. It’s all about big numbers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Ok, first off, your answer is pretty sarcastic, second, it’s my opinion and could care less what anyone thinks, that’s why I said IMO, and third, as a grip guy , I still think it’s stupid to use straps on an axle, so your back handed comment  means  nothing. Furthermore, it was Bill asking the question, not Thor, so I could care less what Thor does. Thor wasn’t even on my radar in answering the question. 

You were calling Thor and his methods dumb, so yes my comment is highly relevant. Not everyone trains to break the DO axle WR you know. Not sure why you are so narrow minded to be honest. Thor is worlds strongest man and he sure isn't stupid. There's different ways of training, people have different goals you know.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

You were calling Thor and his methods dumb, so yes my comment is highly relevant. Not everyone trains to break the DO axle WR you know. Not sure why you are so narrow minded to be honest. Thor is worlds strongest man and he sure isn't stupid. There's different ways of training, people have different goals you know.

Again, was answering Bills question about axle and straps. Can care less what Thor does. From a grip aspect, I think it’s stupid. The methods that chemically enhanced people us e means nothing to me, been training long enough with trial and error to know what works for me and what doesn’t, nor does it make them know more than anyone else .This is an opinion on a forum. There’s my opinion. According to you , no one can have an opinion just because a worlds strongest man does something and another doesn’t. That sounds  like narrow minded on your part, not mine . He or anyone else can do what they want. Sorry, been training in some way or form for almost as long as Thor has been alive. Thor wasn’t even on my radar in answering Bills question my man. So let it go.

Edited by Guest
Spelling

• Like 3

Again, was answering Bills question about axle and straps. Can care less what Thor does. From a grip aspect, I think it’s stupid. The methods that chemically enhanced people us e means nothing to me, been training long enough with trial and error to know what works for me and what doesn’t, nor does it make them know more than anyone else .This is an opinion on a forum. There’s my opinion. According to you , no one can have an opinion just because a worlds strongest man does something and another doesn’t. That sounds  like narrow minded on your part, not mine . He or anyone else can do what they want. Sorry, been training in some way or form for almost as long as Thor has been alive. Thor wasn’t even on my radar in answering Bills question my man. So let it go.

Yes, let it go.  I was curious because when I think axle I think grip strength myself.

I had the same opinion as you from the beginning. Then a strongman (might have been Thor, or perhaps Brian, don't remember) explained why they do it and it totally made sense. So I changed my opinion after that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dube said:

Awesome vid, thanks for posting it 

The major issue are biceps tears with mixed grip axle pulls I think that's the main reason they do it. Also, there's zero bar whip on an axle, so it makes the lift A LOT harder.

9 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

This is off topic but it's a pet peeve.  Its COULDN'T care less. Haha

Okay carry on....

• Like 1

Over under or mixed grip on deadlifts has caused biceps issues to some strongman & powerlifting practitioners... Actually, back in 2013, was my 1st strongman contest, had an axle deadlift event. It was 500 lbs, most reps in a minute, & no straps. Some of the guys weren't happy about that... I believe now in strongman, straps is a regular, since the weight in deadlifts keeps going up & up every year.

7 hours ago, king crusher said:

This is off topic but it's a pet peeve.  Its COULDN'T care less. Haha

Okay carry on....

It had to be you... it haaaddd to beee youuuuu.....

On 3/25/2019 at 1:11 AM, Fist of Fury said:

I had the same opinion as you from the beginning. Then a strongman (might have been Thor, or perhaps Brian, don't remember) explained why they do it and it totally made sense. So I changed my opinion after that.

Fair enough. But Joseph can say his opinion on this because, well lets put it out straight. Hafthor is the strongest man on earth now. But Joseph surely has a better grip I can assure you ;)

21 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Fair enough. But Joseph can say his opinion on this because, well lets put it out straight. Hafthor is the strongest man on earth now. But Joseph surely has a better grip I can assure you ;)

Anyone can have an opinion. Hafthor doesn't train his grip when he does this lift so it's completely irrelevant who has the stronger grip.

• Like 1