Mid-Summer Grip Classic - July 20th, 2019

Eric Roussin

2019 Mid-Summer Grip Classic

Saturday, July 20th, 2019

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Events:

20 mm Block Set Grippers (4 attempts)
Two-Hand Flask Pinch (Last Man Standing)
Wrist Wrench (Last Man Standing)
Mini Inch Pinch (Last Man Standing)
30-Item Medley (3 minutes)

Weight Classes:

Men’s 83 kg / 105 kg / 105+ kg
Women’s Open*
Men’s Masters Open (50+ Years)

*The women's division will not include a medley

Awards for top three finishers in each class!

Weigh-Ins: 
10 am to 10:30 am

Contest Start: 11 am

Entry Fee - $40 (includes lunch)

Reverse Strongman Scoring

Open to all! 

Contact Eric Roussin (eroussin@rogers.com or 613-986-1724) to register and/or for additional information, including venue details.

• Like 4

If over 50, are you in your weight class AND Masters?  Or you pick one?

Automatically entered into both for the price of one.

• Like 1

Definitely interested in attending this one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

MEDLEY ITEMS:

Two-Hand Tips Tester (Barrel Strength) – 225 lbs
Hub (IronMind) – 50 lbs
Finnish Ball Replica (Arm Assassin) – 45 lbs
Wellington Pinch Lift – 100 lbs
Wrist Developer (World of Grip) – Orange Spring Level 4-4
2” Rope Vertical Lift – 225 lbs
8-lb Bomb (FBBC) – 100 lbs
Gold Bar (World of Grip) – 60 lbs
Lift a 45-lb Plate by the Hub
Stacker (IronMind) – 30 lbs
Squeeze at least 170 lbs on a Dynamometer
5” Bull Ring Extensor Lift (Diesel Crew) – 15 lbs
2” Country Crush Deadlift – 325 lbs
Double Overhand Apollon’s Axle Deadlift (IronMind) – 280 lbs
Bearing Lift (Dube Cube) – 25 lbs
Palm Pinch with Red Rafter (Stronger Grip) – 40 lbs
3” Monster Bell (Stronger Grip) – 140 lbs
Stirrup (Barrel Strength) – 175 lbs
Sledge Finger Walk (4-lb sledge with 12.5 lbs added weight – 6” distance to travel)
Shallow Hub Key Pinch (World of Grip) – 80 lbs
Lift a 35-lb Plate by the Hub (wide)
Anvil Trainer (Sorinex) – 130 lbs
Thumb Blaster (Arm Assassin) – 75 lbs
MoonTop (World of Grip) – 27.5 lbs
Blob50
Dube I-Beam – 260 lbs
Slim Lever a 12-lb Sledge
Two-Hand Pinch Lift a 124-lb Anvil by the Face
Double Barreled Bastard Blaster (FBBC) – 70 lbs
Blockbuster Pinch Block (IronMind) – 55 lbs

• Like 3

There might be a few guys who would find it easy to do all of those, but not many guys.  But all of us should be able to do some of them.  That looks fun!

• 2 months later...

The Mid-Summer Grip Classic is coming up in five weeks, so I thought it would be a good time to start talking up this contest.

First, a run through of the five events:

20mm Block Set Grippers. I’ve been hosting grip contests since 2007, and this will be the first time that I’m including this event. I’ve never been a huge fan of grippers because of the technique required – first-time competitors can be at a huge disadvantage. But I’m not expecting many newbies at this particular contest, and I finally have a decent assortment of rated grippers. Plus, Yves Gravelle has gone all in on grip sport and in recent months has purchased lots of grippers, too. Together, we’ll have 30-40 rated grippers from which to choose.

Two-Hand Flask. I included this event in this year’s Canadian Nationals. It was well-received, and quick to run. And I have a feeling some huge numbers will be lifted…

Wrist Wrench. I simply love this test of wrist flexion strength. Lots of my regular competitors are also armwrestlers, and they tend to do well in this event. Justin Major has lifted 127 lbs with the Wrist Wrench in a contest. Anyone want to try to beat him?

Mini Inch Pinch. Seldom contested, I’m looking forwarded to seeing what type of weights will be lifted. This is a key pinch style lift, similar to the Stub and Half Penny, but without the pain!

30-Item Medley. I’m not going to lie: this medley is a bit tougher than the ones I’ve organized in the past. But the level of competition continues to rise, and I think raising the degree of difficulty is required. Nothing on the list is impossible, but I think it will be quite a feat if someone gets them all…

Do these event descriptions whet your appetite? Then consider coming to Ottawa on July 20th!

• Like 3

I like the selection of events 👍👍👍

• Like 3

I like the last man standing format, it was a ton of fun at the South Western Grip Sport Championships. One day I will make the trip to Canada for a competition. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

The Mid-Summer Grip Classic is coming up in five weeks, so I thought it would be a good time to start talking up this contest.

First, a run through of the five events:

20mm Block Set Grippers. I’ve been hosting grip contests since 2007, and this will be the first time that I’m including this event. I’ve never been a huge fan of grippers because of the technique required – first-time competitors can be at a huge disadvantage. But I’m not expecting many newbies at this particular contest, and I finally have a decent assortment of rated grippers. Plus, Yves Gravelle has gone all in on grip sport and in recent months has purchased lots of grippers, too. Together, we’ll have 30-40 rated grippers from which to choose.

Two-Hand Flask. I included this event in this year’s Canadian Nationals. It was well-received, and quick to run. And I have a feeling some huge numbers will be lifted…

Wrist Wrench. I simply love this test of wrist flexion strength. Lots of my regular competitors are also armwrestlers, and they tend to do well in this event. Justin Major has lifted 127 lbs with the Wrist Wrench in a contest. Anyone want to try to beat him?

Mini Inch Pinch. Seldom contested, I’m looking forwarded to seeing what type of weights will be lifted. This is a key pinch style lift, similar to the Stub and Half Penny, but without the pain!

30-Item Medley. I’m not going to lie: this medley is a bit tougher than the ones I’ve organized in the past. But the level of competition continues to rise, and I think raising the degree of difficulty is required. Nothing on the list is impossible, but I think it will be quite a feat if someone gets them all…

Do these event descriptions whet your appetite? Then consider coming to Ottawa on July 20th!

Great variety of lifts Eric! Mini inch pinch is really nice KP device - IMO, anything over 55lb. is very good and over 60lb is great😊

• Like 1

In addition to awards for the top three finishers in each class, there will be medals for the top three results in each event (regardless of weight class), plus a special award for the overall champion!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The award spread for the contest. Come try to win one, or several!

570D3967-C7BE-45F8-9C70-AA2791A5B76E.jpeg

• Like 3

Eric I hope you have a fantastic turn out for this one. Any chance you can talk Devon in to coming out to lift? It would be so interesting to see what a world level AW does to that assortment of hand challenges. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AdamTGlass said:

Eric I hope you have a fantastic turn out for this one. Any chance you can talk Devon in to coming out to lift? It would be so interesting to see what a world level AW does to that assortment of hand challenges. 

I brought my circus dumbbell and other goodies over to Matt Masks at a practice a few years back. I thought he’d dominate some of the handsize dependent lifts but that wasn’t the case. JP Pare (another pretty decent puller) was the only one of them to move a bunch of the implements. It had more to do with his career as a glazier and using a 1/2” drill one handed often and packing glass around that built up that specific strength. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamTGlass said:

Devon has tried out some of my equipment, and even took part in one of my grip medleys several years ago. Considering his armwrestling strengths, he was far from being great at most of the grip implements. Pinching - all types - was probably his most glaring weakness. But he is very good at anything that engages wrist flexion. For example, he can easily lift the Inch dumbbell with a thumbless grip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shoggoth said:

I brought my circus dumbbell and other goodies over to Matt Masks at a practice a few years back. I thought he’d dominate some of the handsize dependent lifts but that wasn’t the case. JP Pare (another pretty decent puller) was the only one of them to move a bunch of the implements. It had more to do with his career as a glazier and using a 1/2” drill one handed often and packing glass around that built up that specific strength. 

I keep trying to get JP out to one of my grip contests. One day I hope he’ll make it out. I’m sure he’d do very well.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

I keep trying to get JP out to one of my grip contests. One day I hope he’ll make it out. I’m sure he’d do very well.

JP has a great grip. Neil Looker is another one. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

JP has a great grip. Neil Looker is another one. 

Back around 2003, there was a farmers hold challenge following an armwrestling tournament. The weight held in each hand wasn't incredibly heavy -- it was more of an endurance test. Neil won the challenge by a long shot, even beating the guy who held the Ontario's Strongest Man title at the time!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Back around 2003, there was a farmers hold challenge following an armwrestling tournament. The weight held in each hand wasn't incredibly heavy -- it was more of an endurance test. Neil won the challenge by a long shot, even beating the guy who held the Ontario's Strongest Man title at the time!

Doesn’t surprise me. He stayed at my place a few times when his rig was near and the roads were bad so he got some basement workouts in. 

That's a great medley. As a grip newbie I actually don't know what a few of the implements are, but for the ones I do it gives me good benchmarks on numbers to try and meet/exceed as I get better at grip.

• Like 1

Eric, don’t know if this was asked, answered or listed in this thread, are these all full lock out lifts? Cross bar? Forgive me if this was already asked and answered in advanced!

Joe 

12 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Eric, don’t know if this was asked, answered or listed in this thread, are these all full lock out lifts? Cross bar? Forgive me if this was already asked and answered in advanced!

Joe 

All to a crossbar. Flask to 7.5”, Wrist Wrench to 6”, Mini Inch Pinch to 6”. In the medley, I’ll be looking for control over the implement rather than a set height. 

2 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

All to a crossbar. Flask to 7.5”, Wrist Wrench to 6”, Mini Inch Pinch to 6”. In the medley, I’ll be looking for control over the implement rather than a set height. 

Sounds good! 

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:09 PM, AdamTGlass said:

Devon will have his hand busy with Dave Chaffee in California this Thursday.  Would love to see him compete in the future though.  I bet he's a hoot to train with if his youtube videos are any indication.

Mr. Mask is pulling too.  Quite a week for Canadian Arm Wrestling and Gripsport!!!!

• Like 3