Knuckle/wrist pain when working

Noobishindi

So I get pain in some of my knuckles, specifically my right middle finger and thumb, it’s difficult to grasp things with any real width (4” pipe, as an example) and trying to crack those knuckles is very painful, to where I cannot crack them (I don’t crack them often but maybe it’ll help as a symptom). Moving my middle finger sideways also results in that pain, within the knuckle.

Pain in my wrists is present from work, I work in a lumber yard so my hands are used all day. I’ve been working here almost 6 years and this is the first time I’ve felt this. 

As a background, I’m 34, I haven’t trained with weights since 2011 or so, I used to do grip training but that was also a long time ago. I’m wondering whether this is just something I can fix by training the extensors more? Or if anyone has experienced this and has any advice. 

Thank you!

If you’re having pain in your wrists, it Maybe because they are a weak link in your chain. You may want to try doing wrist  work in all directions for a few weeks and see how that goes. Start out lightly , you can use a dumbbell with the weight  removed from one end and place weights  plates on the other end with a spin lock. Start out light for high reps . Start out with one set per movement. Do wrist  pronation, supination, Radial deviation and ulnar  deviation,   As well as dumbbell wrist extension and flexion. For those last two you will use a regular dumbbell. If one set of each of those for  higher reps does not irritate you add a set or two. Try this every other day for a while and see if the symptoms subside. If it makes it worse, stop. Do not take this as medical advice as I am not a doctor but I do play one on TV. Any advice that you take is at your own risk and this is for purely educational purposes only.

Joe

Edited by Guest

I train my wrists often...and still kept getting a slight strain or something when working...especially from push-ups.  I’d rehab the pain with more training then it would go away. But 2-3 weeks later I’d get it again. Looking around for some advice, I found a guy on YouTube who was a hand balancer. He showed some stretching that I tried and haven’t had a problem since. I wish I had a link for you, but I don’t. 

As far as knuckle pain, I’ve gotten that from too much gripper training; really in the beginning when I first started. Another great discovery I found when I was starting to get middle finger knuckle pains ; they kept around for months....was liquid boron supplement...if it arthritis starting this can slow it down (they say), it’s really helpful with calcium absorption. 

Witch Doctor stuff haha....but pain is gone. 

Carpal tunnel possibly? Early onset arthritis?

How long has it been happening?

It’s only been maybe 2-3 weeks when it started for the knuckles. Before that I had zero issues and generally have better than average grip strength. The wrist pains were probably a little longer, maybe a month or two, I guess they just feel more noticeable now? 

Not that you will have the same results but going to my chiropractor took care of pain in both my wrists, my left hand, my left thumb and left pinky. It took him a few treatments to get my hand adjusted correctly. He had to adjust it at a weird angle. I will still tweak them once in awhile and a readjustment(s) helps tremendously. However, in my experience with chiropractors not all are well versed in working with hands.

1) Sleep more

2) Hot/cold water contrast baths

3) Try DMSO, do some quick research first, but you can get a small roller of the 99.99+% pure stuff for about 10 bucks shipped on ebay. Anywhere you apply it must be very clean, and don't put it on tattoos.

4) Super Cissus - a little pricey, takes a week or so to kick in but I have used it on/off and it does make a difference for me. I use the one from usplabs.