The best one armed Hammer Strength curl?

G-Man

In the early 2000's when I was competing regularly, I was holding my own with nationally-ranked guys in my weight class and those in lighter classes. Then one day in MA, I was beaten in a hook by a newcomer from Maine who I never even heard of before. I was advised he was new to the sport and "in his first competition" (around 2001-2002), he gave Jerry Cadorette "a tough match".

I asked the newcomer how he worked out and he said he did one armed curls on the Hammer Strength Machine with 135. Upon further research, I noticed that the machine said you need to add four pounds to it so it is really 139.

I tried that machine around that time at another gym and could not even get one rep with the 139.

Now, fast forward to 2019: The gym where I was a member at for 20 years closed down. I started a new gym which actually has a Hammer Strength curl machine - two of them in fact!  I started training with one armed Hammer Strength curls for the first time ever in January 2019. I won't post progress here just yet but am curious what the most anyone has done in this exercise.

If you fast forward to the 6:30 mark below, Dave Chaffee does 194 x 6 with his right arm. Has he or anyone else done more? Is there an official or unofficial record which is better than below?

Thanks.

In response to your original question, I’m unaware if a record (official or unofficial) is tracked anywhere.

Here's the next strongest I can find on YouTube - 139 for reps.

He's a strong dude - a non-arm wrestler as far as a can tell - but by no means super human:

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So my gym of the past year is shutting down in a few days. I had one last attempt to use the Hammer Strength curl machine today. No other gym in my area has one and this gym had two.:)

I made some decent progress this year and will post today's clips shortly.

Edited by G-Man