2019 North American Championship Events

Jedd Johnson

14 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

No Gus?  😰

Nope, the Waterloo contingent isn't making the trip this year.   Dube is off doing strongman, .Gus is still training but doesn't want to travel too far away due to a family illness. and I'm in a course this weekend. 

Good luck to everybody

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rob McMurren said:

Nope, the Waterloo contingent isn't making the trip this year.   Dube is off doing strongman, .Gus is still training but doesn't want to travel too far away due to a family illness. and I'm in a course this weekend. 

Good luck to everybody

Bummer.  You guys will be missed!

• Like 3

Just to confirm, the locale did not change.  We will be in Elmira.

Except for the Canucks.  They will be competing in Scranton. 

Some other notes.

I'm going to have 2 sets of boxes to stand on for the NN.  A couple that are about 3" and a couple that are about 8".  I think the 3" will fine for everyone, but I recommend everyone get an idea of what works best for them.  Standing on boxes or 45# plates is often necessary for people in order to get the knock bar to hit the cross bar at height.  Chris Andrade had some problems with that last year.  You can also just opt to stand on boxes if you'd like.

The Knock Bar is gonna rotate FAST on the Jug for a lot of people.  So please be aware of that and stand appropriately.

Euro:  We have a pretty small group this year, so we will only need 1 Euro.  I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on just using my seasoned Euro, versus the ones that have been used for duel-Euros in the past.

Silver Bullet:  I went through and grabbed grippers on the lighter end of the spectrum with good knurling.  For instance, I have a couple under 200, but the knurling is very poor, so the one we'll use is a 205 - low rating, but really good knurling.  I don't have the rest of the ratings here in front of me, because those grippers are already up to Titan Strength now, but they are lower end.  The #3 is like 143, the #3.5 is like 169, etc.  So everyone should have a good chance at getting a good lock on the bullet for this comp and be competitive.

This video below covers the scoring system that will be used for the Silver Bullet at the contest.  It talks about Cupid's Nightmare, but that is only because I shot it prior to the contest we ran earlier this year.

Competitors: Please give your thoughts on using the rougher Euro, and let me know if you have any other questions.  Thanks!

I'm good with the seasoned euro.

• Like 1

seasoned

• Like 1

Yes, the used and abused Euro sounds just fine.

• Like 1

Sadly, it appears that there will only be five Canadians making the trip to Elmira this Saturday (four men and a woman). Given the lower participation level, I propose a small amendment to the team scoring:

• Each country selects three athletes per individual event (Silver Bullet, Two-Hand Pinch, Napalm’s Nightmare, Jug, and Medley).
  • A single athlete can be selected for no more than four events.
  • Each event is scored using reverse strongman scoring (i.e. best performance earns one point, second best earns two points, etc.).
  • Team totals are tallied from all of the events; lowest score wins.

This will ensure that at least four competitors will earn points for the team, but there is an option to involve more. Plus, selecting teams adds a fun element of strategy.

Tie-break would be done using the countback method. If the score is tied, the country with the most first place finishes would win.

The only thing that is different is that team points would be accumulated by at least four competitors (rather than five), and individual athletes could earn points for no more than four events (rather than three).

Sound fair?

3 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Sadly, it appears that there will only be five Canadians making the trip to Elmira this Saturday (four men and a woman). Given the lower participation level, I propose a small amendment to the team scoring:

• Each country selects three athletes per individual event (Silver Bullet, Two-Hand Pinch, Napalm’s Nightmare, Jug, and Medley).
  • Each event is scored using reverse strongman scoring (i.e. best performance earns one point, second best earns two points, etc.).

This will ensure that at least four competitors will earn points for the team, but there is an option to involve more. Plus, selecting teams adds a fun element of strategy.

Tie-break would be done using the countback method. If the score is tied, the country with the most first place finishes would win.

The only thing that is different is that team points would be accumulated by at least four competitors (rather than five), and individual athletes could earn points for no more than four events (rather than three).

Sound fair?

I don't see an age bonus in there... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Sound fair?

Whatever is fair to you guys, since the numbers dropped unexpectedly is fine by me!

Again, Is there anyone that DOES NOT like the idea of using the seasoned Euro?

How many people from the good ol US of A are competing? 

I believe Anton, Anthony C., and I are the NYC contingent.

The team trophy. Who will take it? Team Canada or Team USA?

C3A9B038-FF96-486D-AD51-A02502455603.jpeg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

The team trophy. Who will take it? Team Canada or Team USA?

C3A9B038-FF96-486D-AD51-A02502455603.jpeg

That will look good on my mantle.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

That will look good on my mantle.  

That’s very nice... although I am not surprised, Eric! You always have the top notch medals and trophies.

Yes, I would also like to use the seasoned euro - sorry for the late response

• Like 1

I think 9 USA-ers all together Saturday?

• Like 1

I'm not qualified but this is so close to me and I will actually have a Saturday off for one of the very few times in the past several months. Is it cool if I come down as a spectator and maybe mess around with some implements during the warmups if is doesn't interfere with any one?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BigRedDoc said:

I'm not qualified but this is so close to me and I will actually have a Saturday off for one of the very few times in the past several months. Is it cool if I come down as a spectator and maybe mess around with some implements during the warmups if is doesn't interfere with any one?

Anyone, as far as I am aware  is welcome  and encouraged to come and be a spectator at any grip competition.

3 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Anyone, as far as I am aware  is welcome  and encouraged to come and be a spectator at any grip competition.

Nice, then I'll plan on being there Saturday and cheering everyone on.

• Like 4