Smearing Grip

Guest JD79

Guest JD79

I saw this mentioned on the Grip Page and I was wondering what exercises you can do to work it.  I'm refering to its use in lifting large rocks like the Atlas Stones and not in the rock climbing sense.  I don't rock climb so that won't help me.  Any ideas would be great.  Thanks in advance guys.

JD

You could either hand from some sloped holds you put up on the wall - over a door, for instance, or you could make some home made grip tools. I would really recommend the former, even if you are not interested in climbing. So I would advice making or buying a hangboard or some individual holds.

If that is not of interest to you, we can try sticking our engineering heads together and see what we can come up with.

The best exercise for the 'smearing' type of grip used in lifiting large rocks is the bearhug deadlift.

This is a lift that David Horne invented to help lift the Blue Stones of Old Dailly. Basically get a rod that fits through the middle of your plates and secure them with good tight fitting collars. Turn the plates so that they are face on to you and they will resemble a large smooth rock. You need to grip or smear really hard to lift the plates as they are smooth and curved.

It's a great lift and has been contested in the Grip Champs before. I hope this helps.

Guest JD79

Thanks guys.  The good old Bear Hug DL, I'd forgotted about it.  I'll try to get back at them soon.

JD

(Edited by JD79 at 7:49 am on May 22, 2001)

I think this is what you mean?  This is a pic of me and my idler off of a 15 International dozer.  It's not very heavy at 234lbs but it is hard to get a hold of...... For me anyway. :)  I Dl it off the ground and I usually carry it for a little ways after I lift it.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1617...&p=45147489

(Edited by Bearcat 74 at 12:29 pm on May 22, 2001)

On my site on the stones (events section)page there is a picture of what I think nick is refering to, did not realise David has been using this lift.

Tom

(Edited by vikingpower at 4:41 pm on May 22, 2001)

If you had held it with the flat ends up and down, and grabbed around the belly of that barrel, you would have used a smear grip.

O.K. now I see.  I'll try that.  That would be much harder.

Guest JD79

Thanks for the help and the pics guys.  Vikingpower, nice page you have there.  Is that the large loading pin from Ironmind?  I have one and thats what I was thinking of using.

JD

JD.

It is the same spec as the Ironmind loading pin.

thanks for comments on site will be adding more soon. Hope you enjoy the exercise shown it is a fantastic exercise and really helps wrist and grip strength as well as being a fantastic way to train for the stones.

Tom  

Guest JD79

Cool, I'll be sure to check out your site more often.  Over the weekend I may give these a shot again.  Gonna start slow though, look like they are really tough on the back.

JD