MashMonster Certification Tips

Bill Piche

First, always...always take and film ALL THREE ATTEMPTS.  

Second, have one video camera going continuously during the attempts (this is a rule) with the gripper in view even during rest periods.  At the same time, have someone (or even two people) video tape at the same time. Review the attempts from this camera (all phones have good video cameras now basically!) after each one.

Most seem to fail the set distance. Often this is due to being too far away from the camera. Get that camera close!  The judges need to clearly see the set distance at the start.  Don't get your other hand in the way.  And don't have some bad angle with the handles down. Rotate that hand and show those handles at the start!  

Failing in the close also can be due to being too far away so the judges cannot clearly see the handles are touching. Especially with the larger bevels on the handles of the MM grippers.  

I would also suggest practice filming with sub-max grippers. I know the judges can give tips and feedback PRIOR to your big day.  I will for sure always be able to give you feedback with non cert attempts.  Just post the video up on the forum with a title of Feedback for MashMonster cert.  In fact, with all the cool rating services available and people being able to give feedback on close lbs who have certed before, there is not reason to not KILL a practice attempt with an equivalent gripper and submit that video for feedback.  We have no rules that prohibit asking for feedback. :)

Others please pipe in with your tips.

• Like 2

My recommendations as a Judge and having done a few of the certifications. 

- Practice with a video camera a good bit BEFORE the gripper gets there. That way you can figure out angles and distance away you need to be to get good footage of the set and the close.

- Always take all 3 attempts. For obvious reasons.

- Angle the camera up and shoot from below. Like 20deg up angle. This allows your setting hand to not obscure as much and have a better opportunity to catch a good view of the set, as well as have a better angle on the close.

- Light from behind the camera but not too bright. Too bright direct light can cast weird shadows that may make the grippers look not closed. I used a double halogen worklight on stand behind camera usually to best effect not pointed directly at gripper or bright light from nearby window. Whatever you do, experiment with lighting before the cert so you know what you are doing is gonna pass muster.

- Once you start opening the box, keep the gripper in frame.

- Practice, Practice, Practice. Getting good video of a max effort gripper close is hard. Set yourself up to succeed.

- Don't move your hand around too much during set and close. If your hand is moving it is more likely to show up as motion blur on video. 

- Video at highest resolution and speed you can.

- Did I mention Practice? Do it!

- Aaron

• Like 4

The points I would stress:

• Practice! 
  • Take all 3 attempts no matter what (I believe this should be a requirement due to the time/cost/energy/risk of sending the gripper around)
  • Put the main camera on a tripod.  Blur on the recording is amplified when both the camera and the athlete are in motion and heading separate directions, which is unavoidable. 
  • Natural daylight is preferable.  You want a heavy wash of bright light that is NOT direct light.  Do NOT shine a flashlight, spotlight, or lamp directly at the gripper.  If you can't be outside, try to set up near a big window with the light BEHIND the camera like Acorn said.  If you have to be totally inside under lights, consider the bathroom.  Seriously.  Bathrooms have an abundance of light for a small space and usually white walls.
  • Err on the side of being too close to the camera.  In general, people are way way way too far away. 

I'll post more if I think of more.

• Like 4

Thanks guys.  There are only two things I want to make sure happen this year:

1) I turn 50.

2) I get MM1.

(Well three, cuz also want my divorce to be final ...)

The first is inevitable.  The second and third need some work but should both happen.

• Like 2