Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hubgeezer

Mark Henry's Inch Dumbbell Lift: A New View

Recommended Posts

Hubgeezer
Posted (edited)

Back in 2002, at the tail end of the AOBS (Association of Oldetime Barbell & Strongmen) dinner, Mark Henry cleaned and push pressed a Thomas Inch Dumbbell Replica. It was considered, at the time, as perhaps the greatest feat of strength ever. It was posted on this website, and it may have been prior to it being called the Gripboard. It was several years before Youtube came into existence. It was filmed by John Hicks, aka Sybersnott on the Gripboard, an enthusiast gripster who was an active poster on the Gripboard until his death around 5 years ago. Here is his video:

 

It was the first time I had ever heard of the AOBS, and I learned that it was a "big deal". Richard Sorin was present, as was Steve Weiner, and a few other grip guys.

If you look at the video, you will see some fellow with a very expensive and professional camera. That was because The WWE was filming it. The feat had been planned in advance as a type of WWE promotion for Mark Henry. I know at least two "Iron Game" veterans who were upset that in some ways, the feat upstaged the rhythm of the dinner. The founder of the AOBS, Vic Boff, died shortly after the event, and it turned out to be his last banquet, having passed away before 2002 was over. Four time Olympic Gold Medal champion Al Oerter, who was one of the AOBS honorees that year, these veterans felt, did not get the full amount of his due because of the Mark Henry feat. I don't know that, I only know what I have been told. Mr. Oerter passed away in 2007.

The Replica belonged to Sorinex, and Terry Todd was the person responsible for staging the production. He was Mark Henry's manager, trainer, mentor, friend.

I have wondered for over 10 years: Why has the WWE been sitting on their footage all these years? Well, apparently, this past February, they released something that looks to be a promotion for some type of documentary. There is quite a bit on the Internet already, with millions of views for this footage here:

The camera pans the crowd more than Sybersnott's video. I see Jan Todd in the audience, and I see perhaps the first and possibly only person to give Henry his due with a standing ovation, the late great respected Steve Jeck, author of the book "Of Stones and Strength".

It has been over 16 years since this happened. Interesting that it is being released now.

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric Roussin

^Thanks for sharing this!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
Posted (edited)

Sybersnott is dead? I did not know that! Sorry to hear that! What was the cause? 😕

also, I see Bill Kazmaier in the background! 

 

Edited by Joseph Sullivan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hubgeezer
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Sybersnott is dead? I did not know that! Sorry to hear that! What was the cause? 😕

also, I see Bill Kazmaier in the background! 

 

Joseph, here is a link to one of the threads on his passing. I will look for the other as well:

Yes, Kazmaier is in the second video with Mark at the hotel giving him a pep talk before the lift.

 

Joseph, this looks to be the other thread on the passing of John Hicks:

 

Edited by Hubgeezer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
king crusher

I remember watching that video on here way back in the day because back then I was thinking it looked like he was performing this feat in a nursing home. Dont judge me lol hahaha

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hubgeezer
2 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I remember watching that video on here way back in the day because back then I was thinking it looked like he was performing this feat in a nursing home. Dont judge me lol hahaha

Yeah? I was looking at it this go round and was thinking they all looked younger than I remembered them!!!:laugh:D That tells you where I am these days.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Joseph, here is a link to one of the threads on his passing. I will look for the other as well:

Yes, Kazmaier is in the second video with Mark at the hotel giving him a pep talk before the lift.

 

Joseph, this looks to be the other thread on the passing of John Hicks:

 

Kaszmaier is in the first video also.

091AF3E1-A841-4483-835D-673D37A05BA5.pngSee him in the crowd between the man in the suit and tie and the person in the blue shirt?

Edited by Joseph Sullivan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
king crusher
22 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Kaszmaier is in the first video also.

091AF3E1-A841-4483-835D-673D37A05BA5.pngSee him in the crowd between the man in the suit and tie and the person in the blue shirt?

Yeah that's Kaz, good eye. Cant tell from the screenshot but in the video you can see its him

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wannagrip
10 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Sybersnott is dead? I did not know that! Sorry to hear that! What was the cause? 😕

also, I see Bill Kazmaier in the background! 

 

John was a unique dude on the GripBoard.  We have his "Welcome to the GripBoard" thread that keeps him in my thoughts every time I welcome a new member in that thread. He was crazy about Grip.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
1 hour ago, Wannagrip said:

John was a unique dude on the GripBoard.  We have his "Welcome to the GripBoard" thread that keeps him in my thoughts every time I welcome a new member in that thread. He was crazy about Grip.

So sad! We never know when our numbers up Bill. 🤦‍♂️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kashtan

Epic video about great athlete and historic feat strength.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Mac

If you recall back in 2002 the WWE were pushing Henry heavily as the 'Worlds Strongest Man" (one reason there was a "strong feeling" that the 2002 Arnold was created just for him to win it, as he had almost no chance at WSM)...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jedd Johnson
15 hours ago, The Mac said:

If you recall back in 2002 the WWE were pushing Henry heavily as the 'Worlds Strongest Man" (one reason there was a "strong feeling" that the 2002 Arnold was created just for him to win it, as he had almost no chance at WSM)...

This is not at all how the WWE special that just come out laid out the development of Mark's involvement in that competition.  I realize that since the WWE created the documentary-style show, that they can put a spin on things, but I've also never heard this before that it was created so he could win it.  What sources are you citing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hubgeezer
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

This is not at all how the WWE special that just come out laid out the development of Mark's involvement in that competition.  I realize that since the WWE created the documentary-style show, that they can put a spin on things, but I've also never heard this before that it was created so he could win it.  What sources are you citing?

It has a grain of truth, but it may not be. But “Strong Feeling”, yeah, that was the talk of the time, I agree with The MAC on that statement. Terry Todd had an in depth article after the first Arnold Strongman contest, in Iron Game History, which goes on the Internet after a few years, article would have been in 2002. He went into detail as to HOW they came up with the events, and if my memory is correct, Bill Kazmaier had a big hand in coming up with how it was structured. In the article, Todd took great pains to explain how they were trying to do so without it appearing to look tilted towards Henry. But the contest was absolutely positively designed to focus on STRENGTH, and not some of the running around semi-cardio stuff that goes in WSM. I believe Arnold wanted it to be about strength as well, and I had a strongman DVD that I sold years ago where Arnold was boasting about that at that inaugural contest. So the contest did in fact play to Henry’s strengths. Then Vince what’s his name of WWE gave Henry the time off to train for it, and Mark’s WWE future may have been hanging on his winning. That’s all fine, but the WWE has always acted like MH had won WSM, which is not true. And WSM didn’t ever seem to be able to stop Mark from wearing shirts that proclaimed him as such. I am interested in seeing the movie but I  suspect it is full of overhype. Don’t get me wrong, Mark Henry probably could have won some WSM’s, but I don’t agree he is the strongest man in history.

Edited by Hubgeezer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LAINE SNOOK

Just asking the question......

 

Any views on the dumbbell having contact with the body?  

 

Let the games begin...

 

Laine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alawadhi

I had the same thought when I saw it. Then when I showed it to Laine yesterday I didn't tell him what I think. He told me did the dumbbell make a contact with his body. I told him yes this is what I am seeing. Although we don't have a clear angle but this is what it seem now. If true then it is not the first real Inch clean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hubgeezer

Where does the bell make contact with his body? What part of his body? Seems like his backwards stagger is a result of his clean not having contact with his body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury

I can't see any contact but it's impossible to tell with 100% certainty from that angle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anthony C.
Posted (edited)

Mark’s “World’s Strongest Man” gimmick came long before the 2002 Arnold. It had more to do with his Powerlifting numbers. Call me crazy but world’s strongest man sounds better for marketing than does “man who is stronger than most.”

Guys, WWE is not real. That may come as a shock and I’m sorry. Spoiler: the undertaker is not really dead!

😊😂

Edited by Anthony C.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
king crusher

The only contact I see is it touching his shoulder before the press. That seems fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
king crusher
4 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

I had the same thought when I saw it. Then when I showed it to Laine yesterday I didn't tell him what I think. He told me did the dumbbell make a contact with his body. I told him yes this is what I am seeing. Although we don't have a clear angle but this is what it seem now. If true then it is not the first real Inch clean.

Did you know Larry Wheels is training in Dubai for two months.  Wonder if it's near you?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan

Just looks like incidental contact 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jedd Johnson

I'm not seeing any body contact in the second, "new" video...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alawadhi
2 hours ago, king crusher said:

Did you know Larry Wheels is training in Dubai for two months.  Wonder if it's near you?

Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Mac
On 3/11/2019 at 1:00 AM, Jedd Johnson said:

This is not at all how the WWE special that just come out laid out the development of Mark's involvement in that competition.  I realize that since the WWE created the documentary-style show, that they can put a spin on things, but I've also never heard this before that it was created so he could win it.  What sources are you citing?

Jedd,

Mike explains it about as well as I probably could...the source is my own memory of the talk about it at that time.

It was Serendipitous if nothing else...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.