Traning with the orginal silver crush gripper

Stich

Hi folks,

I started gripper training at the end of January and started to workout again after being off from anything physical for 6-8 years. I work as a nurse at a desk and basically after 10 hours on a computer I'm mentally exhausted when I come home and play with my son that is currently 14 months old. So I never trained with grippers as I never wanted to compete with my dad. But I did deadlifting in my 20s and had a PR of 655lb at 215 bw. I then developed an injury to disks in my back and had a heart issue where they told me to lay off the heavy weights. Sorry if this is redundant from my intro post. But after seeing my dad he gave me his old grippers a prototype Ironmind gripper (before 1991 I believe) and the Silver crush #2 and #3 both 1991. I got them and a few others rated at the recommendation by Jedd Johnson (in one of his videos) of getting all your grippers at once to start your journey if you can. So the Prototype came in at 132 RGC and the #2 112 and the #3 154. Please see picture below (the Black on is the Prototype gripper)
So my progress so far is good since I never really used them. In last week of January I could barely close the #2 and by the end of February I could close the 2.5. I just set it far enough to get my fingers on and my technique sucks having it really low in my hand and back probably way to far but I'll learn I think.
Thanks

Matt Stich

thumbnail1.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

• Like 5

Too nice to train with!

• Like 1

That's an awesome spread of grippers! I saw @Cannon's instagram posts about rating the old grippers, and it's cool to see the other half of the equation. Looks like we're at a similar gripper level, so I'll definitely be following your progress. Best of luck!

• Like 1

@devinhoo Thanks man, I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress as well. However looks like you are a bit ahead of me if you got a 137 closed that is also filed! :) awesome man, you'll get that CoC3 cert in no time

Update week 6 of training grip, New PR shut the coc 2.5 rgc 129 2 times and almost got a third rep but I felt off today. I think I also need chalk as I noticed I'm closing the gripper almost at the bottom of my palm not the crease where youtube videos says it should be. Also again I don't really set as I want plenty of room for credit card. Figured thats the best way to train for a 3 cert.

Also started taking glycine (an abundant connective tissue amino acid) for tendon pain I was having, seems to be helping as I haven't had any since starting to take it

Edited by Stich
added amino acid I am taking

• 4 weeks later...

Moved from the rep gripper of 107 to a 117 RB gripper I got 6 closes on it so Feel good above that and 3 (short) closes on the 126 RB

• 2 weeks later...

I just shut the COC 3 148!! After a few months of training only and never doing grip work before! I don't even work with my hands! But I do owe some great genetics from my dad but pale in comparison to him.
I do owe Jedd Johnson credit from learning about grippers from his videos and workout plan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stich said:

I just shut the COC 3 148!! After a few months of training only and never doing grip work before! I don't even work with my hands! But I do owe some great genetics from my dad but pale in comparison to him.
I do owe Jedd Johnson credit from learning about grippers from his videos and workout plan.

Congrats man! That's a big milestone!

• Thanks 1

Congrats big guy 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

7 full closes 126 RB, Injured myself after the COC 3 close a week later took off sometime.

Edited by Stich
additonal info