Vulcan springs - Light vs heavy increments

db2000

Bear with me as I am not an engineer,

So say you had 2 Vulcans, each using a different spring. One was set up with a crom spring (heavy) and the other gripper a much lighter spring like the orange.

Say you had each spring lined up to replicate the same level of force to close (say the equivalent of a COC#2). If you made each gripper one notch heavier would they be the same difficulty harder, or would the one notch require more force to close.

I basically want to know if you get a really light spring if the steps of each notch would be a smaller increment and be easier to "micro load". I understand the gripper would have a limit of how heavy you could go, but I am more interested in smaller progressions.

The spring information site suggests that each movement is 1 level, but that doesn't make sense to me because each spring has a different strength

If it is negligible I will just use elastic bands

Thanks

Comparing Vulcan springs to each other is not apples to apples:

The Vulcan increases in difficulty as you move the spring because you have less leverage and because the spring has a larger ROM.  

So in this case, the orange spring would have to be set pretty far away from the handle to achieve a level COC2, and the Chrome would be pretty close to the handles.  I have both springs and have tried to estimate before.  I also ruined an old "black and yellow" spring by attempting to rate the Vulcan on my RGC rig.  

In short, use rubber bands to micro-load.  I wouldn't spend too much time trying to figure out "is this as hard as a Coc2" or any torsion spring gripper because the Vulcan has a more dynamic change in difficulty level to level.  But the difficulty during the close doesn't seem to change much through the set, sweep, and crush.  The Vulcan really shines on strengthening your set because it can be slippery and the set is about as difficult as the crush. 

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

There is a thread somewhere that has approximate RGC of different springs, do some searching (not trying to be rude, I'm just lazy at the moment but wanted to tell you it's in here somewhere.)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi db2000

"if you get a really light spring, if the steps of each notch would be a smaller increment"

-->Yes,

Let us Imagine you have to place the weak orange spring at notch 10 on each side when the strong chrome spring is only placed at notch 2 giving the same force in your hand, (perhaps~#2).  Then obviously you can place the weak spring in 9 lower notches before reaching that level of force in your hand.  At the same time, if working with the strong chrome you would only have one lower notch to use before reaching that level #2 in your hand. It can be explained in physics as well, but no need to.

Good luck with your Vulcan:)

BR/Göran

On 3/6/2019 at 7:15 PM, Adam Juncker said:

Comparing Vulcan springs to each other is not apples to apples:

The Vulcan increases in difficulty as you move the spring because you have less leverage and because the spring has a larger ROM.  

So in this case, the orange spring would have to be set pretty far away from the handle to achieve a level COC2, and the Chrome would be pretty close to the handles.  I have both springs and have tried to estimate before.  I also ruined an old "black and yellow" spring by attempting to rate the Vulcan on my RGC rig.  

In short, use rubber bands to micro-load.  I wouldn't spend too much time trying to figure out "is this as hard as a Coc2" or any torsion spring gripper because the Vulcan has a more dynamic change in difficulty level to level.  But the difficulty during the close doesn't seem to change much through the set, sweep, and crush.  The Vulcan really shines on strengthening your set because it can be slippery and the set is about as difficult as the crush. 

Hope that helps.

2nd this 100%. Better than I could have said it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hockey Stick said:

Hi db2000

"if you get a really light spring, if the steps of each notch would be a smaller increment"

-->Yes,

Let us Imagine you have to place the weak orange spring at notch 10 on each side when the strong chrome spring is only placed at notch 2 giving the same force in your hand, (perhaps~#2).  Then obviously you can place the weak spring in 9 lower notches before reaching that level of force in your hand.  At the same time, if working with the strong chrome you would only have one lower notch to use before reaching that level #2 in your hand. It can be explained in physics as well, but no need to.

Good luck with your Vulcan:)

BR/Göran

Yes thats how it worked in my mind, but the Vulcan spring info seems to suggest otherwise....which just doesn't make sense!

Thanks!