Brian Shaw - Blob - Half of 150

Bill Piche

On 3/27/2019 at 9:33 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

Not sure.

How about Barack Hussein Obloba?  Or Blobert Mueller?  

On 3/28/2019 at 10:43 AM, Anton.Torrella said:

Barack Hussein Obloba!

Copy cat!  🤣

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 10:17 AM, Alawadhi said:

I agree. Anyone who lifts it first should name it. It's only fair yeah? Jedd too agree's.

Yeah that's only fair to name a blob if anyone can lift it first. So since you named the half of 140 then lets all agree to name is Napalm Blob if that is your wish buddy :rock...

I have a different take on it.

In February 2017, Morgan Choi became the first person to envision, buy, and cut up a 140 Legacy.  After attempting it, he started a thread on the board where numerous suggestions to come up with a name were offered up.  While no "official statement" was made by Morgan, there seemed to be a general consensus that "Blobfather" (yes I submitted the name) was the best fit for this new blob.  Since then, it is the only name I have heard the half 140 referred to.

I'm of the opinion that naming rights actually belong to the originator of the challenge. 

Many times that happens to be the first lifter, but not always.

5+ years ago John Manna found a monstrous drop weight while working with industrial commercial washers.  Recognizing the possibilities, he gave it to me as a challenge item.  I dubbed it the "Manna-Nuff" in his honor and have brought it to numerous competitions as an after comp "feat".  While 5 people lifted it that first Gripmas, Jedd was the very first.

I brought the "25kg Heller Blob" to the "Last Gripmas" and it was first lifted by Gil Goodman (followed shortly by Jedd).

The very similar "Roboblob,"  was created and named well before Jedd actually lifted it.

Randall Strossen created the "Crushed to Dust Challenge" and the first successful (official) attempt was done by Clay Edgin.

I don't think anyone has suggested renaming any of these challenges.

While it's true that Gripsport has a short history, I think it's important to keep the provenance of such challenge items.

• Like 5

Also, with the "ImpossiBlob" it was named long before I lifted it.  There's definitely more incidents of non-lifters naming the challenges.  Good call, Nate.

And like I said above, I don't care who names the challenges, and others are much more creative at naming them than I am.   I did come up with Blob Barker back in 2003 or 2004 though...lol @Mike Rinderle

I actually think it's more motivating for others to think up the challenges and then I chase them down.  Such as the Blob Cycle, which I've yet to see anyone else pull off.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I actually think it's more motivating for others to think up the challenges and then I chase them down.  Such as the Blob Cycle, which I've yet to see anyone else pull off.

With Raymond's curling ability...I would have thought it was a gimmie.  Most likely would happen quick if he turned his attention to it.

3 hours ago, anwnate said:

I have a different take on it.

In February 2017, Morgan Choi became the first person to envision, buy, and cut up a 140 Legacy.  After attempting it, he started a thread on the board where numerous suggestions to come up with a name were offered up.  While no "official statement" was made by Morgan, there seemed to be a general consensus that "Blobfather" (yes I submitted the name) was the best fit for this new blob.  Since then, it is the only name I have heard the half 140 referred to.

I'm of the opinion that naming rights actually belong to the originator of the challenge. 

Many times that happens to be the first lifter, but not always.

5+ years ago John Manna found a monstrous drop weight while working with industrial commercial washers.  Recognizing the possibilities, he gave it to me as a challenge item.  I dubbed it the "Manna-Nuff" in his honor and have brought it to numerous competitions as an after comp "feat".  While 5 people lifted it that first Gripmas, Jedd was the very first.

I brought the "25kg Heller Blob" to the "Last Gripmas" and it was first lifted by Gil Goodman (followed shortly by Jedd).

The very similar "Roboblob,"  was created and named well before Jedd actually lifted it.

Randall Strossen created the "Crushed to Dust Challenge" and the first successful (official) attempt was done by Clay Edgin.

I don't think anyone has suggested renaming any of these challenges.

While it's true that Gripsport has a short history, I think it's important to keep the provenance of such challenge items.

Good info. But I beg to differ here. While it makes sense. But york Blobs are not created by them. The Blob was called by Sorin because he lifted it first. It is still a York. We cannot change that. We can't change what IronMind will call it's product.  But the blob challenge is on since 30 years now give or take. And we should respect the first one who lifted it. It only makes sense. The Heller Blob wasn't a York or anything else. That's the issue. You can't change what the creator name it. Morgan didn't create the half of 140 pounds York, well because it was created by York. So anyone who picks it up can name it. That's how I see it.

On 3/31/2019 at 12:06 PM, anwnate said:

With Raymond's curling ability...I would have thought it was a gimmie.  Most likely would happen quick if he turned his attention to it.

For him, the Snatch is the issue.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

For him, the Snatch is the issue.

I think that's true for most men.  It's been my overriding issue for about 40 years.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 8:12 AM, Mike Rinderle said:

I think that's true for most men.  It's been my overriding issue for about 40 years.

Gotta get that snatch bro

• Haha 1