New Stirrup record? Yves Gravelle- 242.52lbs

Yves Gravelle

Very freaky dude! New WR for sure 

• Like 2

Insane.  Would love to see this implement contested more often. 

• Like 1

good gosh, dude.

According to the BSS website, that is, indeed, a new record. Congrats!

Very impressive. I think tendon injury is more likely for people with no background in climbing in this particular lift. It seems to mimic climbing to a far greater degree than most other lifts.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:26 PM, Yves Gravelle said:

Well, this is my first post on this forum! 

I had the chance to break in my Stirrup from Barrel Strength System tonight and surprised myself with a huge lift of 242.52 lbs!

Psyched to be part of the Grip community and to share and grow with you guys! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BufKj7EhvFT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Since I have never tried one of those, I don't know EXACTLY how hard it should be to do that, but since I can see what the implement looks like and I know how hard it would be to do that much weight even on just a simple dumbbell with a narrow handle, I am pretty darn sure that 242 on that is epic at any body weight.  And here I was looking to lose 20 pounds to get out of Tanner's weight class.  At least now I can eat heartily without fear.  There is no easy weight class anymore ... beasts everywhere.  Nice lift man.

Since strength increases by the square and body weight increases by the cube when you scale an organism up, climbing will never attract heavyweights. Therefore it is unlikely that we will see the normal bodyweight correlation (that we see in eg the Euro and the axle) in lifts that rather closely mimics climbing holds. 

Including these types of lifts in grip competitions might well increase the likelihood of climbers having a go which is important to bring some serious competition into the lighter weight classes. I just hope we don't see a move away from heavy core lifts like the axle double overhand to one hand lifts (or short range deadlifts) to cater for climbers with no background in heavy weight lifting.

Time will usually weed out lifts from competitions that produce serious injuries in competitors with limited exposure  (narrow vbar, table top wrist curls etc.) so we will see how this particular lift will develop in regards to possible tendon issues.

Pretty sure I mentioned this years ago that elite climbers will eventually show us where we should be if we could attract similar caliber athletes in all weight classes. In most cases however you have to compare their results to the weight class above which is where most climbers would end up if grip was the limiting factor in the double overhand axle (deadlifting does build mass like no other lift except deep squatting).

I think Eric Roussin is doing a great job bringing in climbers and armwrestlers to our sport. I would much rather have my butt kicked in grip by an army of elite climbers than rule supreme in a weighclass with two active competitors.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 1

I've never seen this implement before but it looks cool. Congratulations on the WR level lift

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 7:42 AM, WestSlope said:

Huge pull! Did you get any skin tears from the Stirrup?

I didn't. My skin is quite callussed from climbing so much and I try to not pinch the skin on the second pad when doing the lifts. 

A good tip to prevent huge tears when training is to sand off and remove any  splits with a nail clipper, razor blade or sand paper. If you dont the skin will catch to the implement or climbing holds and get really bad. 

On 3/3/2019 at 9:17 AM, jvance said:

Insane... be careful looks like a tendon injury waiting to happen.

I agree, people should be very careful with this style of lift. There's a very high risk of pulley and tendon tears on any finger only lifts.