Am I overdoing it with the grip accessory lifts?

ChimpGrip

My primary focus in grip training has been grippers, but are my accessory lifts below too much (I.e. overdoing it)?

-weighted kettlebell pull-ups 

-one hand lat pulldowns using a rolling thunder handle 

-chest-supported axle rows (2.5” diameter axle) 

-plate pinches (never more than 3-4 sets) 

So when including grippers, five total exercises.

I do grip training 2-3x per week. On one hand, I want to train hard and maximize gains (through sound training methods, recovery, and training the rest of the body through a powerlifting program), but... I don’t want to not be able make a fist by the time I’m 40 because I tore my body up. 

I’ve struggled with this question my whole life. Am I doing to much? Am I doing to little? 

I make progress, albeit slow, but progress is progress. 

If you are concerned you might be doing too much, then you probably are. Especially if you are not making progress. Volume or intensity, choose one.

Edited by acorn
  • Like 4

Don't know about volume, but maybe ditch the thickbar, make sure you are doing something for extensors, and also hubs seem to go well with grippers.

Hard to progress with thickbar and grippers at the same time.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, acorn said:

If you are concerned you might be doing too much, then you probably are. Especially if you are not making progress. Volume or intensity, choose one.

What he said

• Like 1

I think it is hard to make gains on much else if you are really hitting the grippers hard 3 X per week.  Grippers crush me for a day or two and don't seem to carry over to anything else.  If Grippers are your only real goal, then just focus on them.  you could get a pony clamp to work your thumbs and do some extension exercises with rubber bands.  That really would be all i would do if i just wanted a bigger crush.  Besides getting stronger overall.

If you want to make gains on thick bar and pinch, then i think you'll have to dial back the grippers to more of a maintenance level.  Maybe grippers one day a week, thick bar another, and pinch a 3rd day.  But that's just me.

Actually, if it was me, I'd bury the grippers in a hole somewhere and try to forget where i put them.  :laugh

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2

It's always a battle. I'm currently training and pushing hard on thick bar, grippers, closed hand support and my wrist wrench at the same time. I know it's too much, but I keep getting stronger and stronger. It's because none of my numbers are too high compared to the people on the forum (coc #2.5 for 2 reps, 112.5 kg FG pull, ~65 kg RT, ~35 kg WW) that I can stand that. 

This week I did 10 gripper working sets, 24 wrist working sets, 9 thick bar sets and double overhand work on top of that. My elbows are killing me in the last month, so I'll take some rest. But I'm very satisfied with the gains.

Just try as much stuff out as possible, and when you find something that works, stick to it till when it stops working.