Which blob to start training?

pancho_grip_lift

Hello! 

I want to make a Hex blob from a Dumbell, and I don't know which wheight to choose. As a reference I hace lifted 32kg/ 70lb on an Ironmind blockbuster.

I thought that a 40kg dumbell would be a good starting point...what do you think? 

Thank you in advance

No idea if this helps, but I can do about 68lbs on the blockbuster and have lifted a half 80lb york blockweight and a 90lb hex.

• Thanks 1

I would get the widest one you are positive you can lift. Then you can hang weight over it to load heavier. But then still do reps with it unloaded.  And/or also work on lifting by the face. 

• Thanks 1

I don't think lifting with the BB will help you at getting stronger with blobs. It's a totally different lift, the factor that makes blobs hard(er) is the sloping sides of it. I would get a blob trainer and train with. 

• Like 1

You could get the Barrel Strength blob trainer, or one of the new Arm Assassin B2's Grabhold Banks. I've been spending a lot of money on grippers lately, so I've been training 5" pinches by using a stack of plates instead of buying something new. I'll probably pick up one of those two at the end of the school year as a present to myself. The thing about the York Blob compared to the IM blockbuster is that the blockbuster is a 3" block, where as the York Blob starts at 3.5" and goes out to 5.5"... so you need to train a good bit wider than a 3" pinch block.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

Heres how to do it...

If you mod your post to say “im training to lift blob xyz, and dont need advice.” Then you’ll never stop getting advice. 😆

but when you specifically ask for some advice on something, you’ll be met with comments such as “do what feels best for you” or “what works for me might not work for you”, etc.

it is a strange phenomenon around here.

i hope this helps.

Since you got advice, what works for Tommy might not have worked for you, but I'm glad you did what felt best.

Whatever you start with, it's handy to have a set of PlateMates to stick to the blob to microload on it. They can help bridge the jump for the next one without having to buy a million block weights at in between sizes.

• Like 1

Depends on individual hand span, surface of the blob and many other things, but in general, half of a 40kg Hex DB sounds good to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bro look at my gallery, make your own blob from wood or get it machined or hack up a dumbbell. 

Blobs are very nice collectors items, and no one ever needed a blob to get stronger hands. 

I've sunk a couple of thousands into my homegym over the years and I intend to continue to collect. A lot of the stuff gets maintenance at best. I still like it a lot better than collecting coins or post stamps. 

Cheers 

Christoph 

• Like 1