Axle bar vs deadlifting with Fat Grips

nimar1994

Good afternoon, sorry for my ignorance, but I need to ask this:

is there any meaningful difference between doing deadlift with an Axle bar and doing deadlift with a normal bar using fat grips?

Best Regards, Nikola.

33 minutes ago, nimar1994 said:

Good afternoon, sorry for my ignorance, but I need to ask this:

is there any meaningful difference between doing deadlift with an Axle bar and doing deadlift with a normal bar using fat grips?

Best Regards, Nikola.

Using regular(blue) Fat Gripz will be roughly 20lb- 50lb harder than IM axle depending on your hand size. Smaller your hands the difference will be larger once you pull on IM axle. I was doing 50lb more on IM axle vs. Fat Gripz blue and have 7 3/8" hands

Edited by Kluv#0
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Using regular(blue) Fat Gripz will be roughly 20lb- 50lb harder than IM axle depending on your hand size. Smaller your hands the difference will be larger once you pull on IM axle. I was doing 50lb more on IM axle vs. Fat Gripz blue and have 7 3/8" hands

Using Fat Gripz on a revolving bar is way harder than an axle for me. The only time I trained with an axle was in 2015. when I was just starting grip training and I pulled 105 or 110 kg DO, now my PR with FatGripz on a bit higher diameter bar that spins freely is 112.5 kg and I'm way stronger now. FG is slicker and it deforms and that makes it a lot harder, also chalk does nothing for it, at least in my experience. 

• Thanks 1

If you just want to get strong, then it doesn't matter but if you want to compete then training on a real axle is probably essential.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My difference right now is 25lbs (axle higher). 

Has anyone ever measured the fatgripz while on a barbell? 

I think the original are 2.25 inches but mine are pried open a bit on my 29mm barbell 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FrankSobotka said:

My difference right now is 25lbs (axle higher). 

Has anyone ever measured the fatgripz while on a barbell? 

I think the original are 2.25 inches but mine are pried open a bit on my 29mm barbell 

It would depended on the barbell. I have some thicker barbells at my gym which are like 1.25 inches thick. Thick bar adapters on those come to like 2.5 inches cause of spread. But they have other thin barbells which don’t spread the grips at all

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Climber028 said:

If you just want to get strong, then it doesn't matter but if you want to compete then training on a real axle is probably essential.

I agree with Mike on this statement for sure!

6 hours ago, Chez said:

It would depended on the barbell. I have some thicker barbells at my gym which are like 1.25 inches thick. Thick bar adapters on those come to like 2.5 inches cause of spread. But they have other thin barbells which don’t spread the grips at all

I actually find the thinner bars to be harder since they let the fat gripz spin freely around the bar. Best barbell thickness for me is when the bar is fat enough to where the fat gripz don’t spin.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

exactly ! the same by me.

• Like 3

I’m going to have a 3.5” axle built. I have found chest-supported axle rows to be quite brutal and effective. 

35 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

I’m going to have a 3.5” axle built. I have found chest-supported axle rows to be quite brutal and effective. 

How big are your hands!? 

I have a 3” axle and I can’t imagine doing rows with it 

13 minutes ago, FrankSobotka said:

How big are your hands!? 

I have a 3” axle and I can’t imagine doing rows with it 

7 1/4 “ from Base of hand to end of the middle finger but I will measure again today.