Sully’s Road to 400 axle

On 4/16/2019 at 8:07 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

Good stuff Joe.  With all the 2 3/8 work lately, you should be getting some good lifts with that nasty hard Inch.

You may be right about that. May have to test it out and see! 

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You may be right about that. May have to test it out and see! 

Make her fly!

Arm assassin Saxon bar

135x10

185x10

205x6

215x5

215x3

Arm assassin strength shop finger blaster. Using tips only 

285x10

330x5

330x5

330x3

2 3/8 inch 127 pound dumbbell strict rows 

127x10

127x10

127x10

2 3/8 inch axle

210x10

300x5

305x3

310x 2

340 miss

Arm assassin thumb blaster 

190x 8

200x5

210x4

2 3/8 inch dumbbell rows 

105x 10

127x10

137x8

137x8

Reverse curls 

100x5

100x5

100x6

Joe do you find your fatgrip doh and 2&3/8 axle numbers are pretty close?

18 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

Joe do you find your fatgrip doh and 2&3/8 axle numbers are pretty close?

Hey Adam, I am just seeing this now 18 hours later, I would say it will be pretty comparable to the blue fat grips. That’s my guess. I prefer the feel of the Steel

2 3/8 inch axle

120x10

210x10

300x5.5

300x5

300x4

Fbbc 2.5 inch jug

200x5

220x3

220x3

230x2

258  3 inches 

Sorry for the dirty lyrics. I do not make a habit of listening to that stuff. It was on in the background 

FBBC anvil

200x3

220x2

230x1 for leader board 7th place 

thumb blaster 

190x13

213x3

224x1

finished off with a world record on the Logan’s lift for the leader board for right hand at 47.5 pounds. I already held the record for left hand.

Then went for a try on the horizontal rotating bar system Luke made at 287 pounds. 

4 hour total session

3 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Hey Adam, I am just seeing this now 18 hours later, I would say it will be pretty comparable to the blue fat grips. That’s my guess. I prefer the feel of the Steel

“Feel of the Steel” - a future grip contest title 👍🎯💪

9 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

“Feel of the Steel” - a future grip contest title 👍🎯💪

Nothing like the feel of steel or iron over wood or rubber implements. It’s a primitive thing. I’m sure you can dig it!

Switched to 2 3/8 inch NN today to see where I’m at. Have not done it in ages

332x4 handle fell off because I didn’t tighten it enough, felt like I had 10 reps in me

332x7

352x3

arm assassins thumb blaster

190x10

215x2

215x2

2 3/8 inch dumbbell rows

110x10

130x6

180x1 (new PR)

Joe, I see you use the thumb blaster quite frequently, do you feel it helps your specific thumb strength on thick bar and pinch? I won't even comment on your strength, it's off the charts.

35 minutes ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

Joe, I see you use the thumb blaster quite frequently, do you feel it helps your specific thumb strength on thick bar and pinch? I won't even comment on your strength, it's off the charts.

I like it because it doesn’t tear my thumbs up and I hate to pinch. It’s like a hybrid of pinch and thick bar. Best of both worlds.  

As for my strength? I’m working on it. Never satisfied. Thank you for the kind words.😉

• 3 months later...

Nice work @Joseph Sullivan !

I noticed you don't preload your deadlift (which makes those lifts even more impressive to me). Is that a personal preference or is it the way you learned the lift?

Edit watching it again it seems like you are preloading, when you took a narrow grip it was a different dynamic because you have to get get hold of a lot different to a standard bar and it threw me a bit.

Edited by Raymond

3 hours ago, Raymond said:

Nice work @Joseph Sullivan !

I noticed you don't preload your deadlift (which makes those lifts even more impressive to me). Is that a personal preference or is it the way you learned the lift?

Edit watching it again it seems like you are preloading, when you took a narrow grip it was a different dynamic because you have to get get hold of a lot different to a standard bar and it threw me a bit.

I don’t know what you mean by preloading before I lift it.

When I was taught to deadlift by an olympic coach in what now seem like another lifetime I was taught to take the slack out of the bar to pre-load the kinetic chain before initiating the main part of the lift. That was years ago so maybe it's not taught that way anymore. This guy explains it pretty close to the way I was taught, we were taught take about 80% of the load before beginning the lift but the principle is the same. Some people people lift better with a pre-load and others don't need it, it comes down to personal preference and the way you learn to lift really.

3 hours ago, Raymond said:

When I was taught to deadlift by an olympic coach in what now seem like another lifetime I was taught to take the slack out of the bar to pre-load the kinetic chain before initiating the main part of the lift. That was years ago so maybe it's not taught that way anymore. This guy explains it pretty close to the way I was taught, we were taught take about 80% of the load before beginning the lift but the principle is the same. Some people people lift better with a pre-load and others don't need it, it comes down to personal preference and the way you learn to lift really.

I was never taught to do anything lifting wise. Was an over 700 pound deadlifted conventional style with no straps as a teen. I just approach the bar and lift it. I had back surgery and neck surgery and that’s why I Turned to grip, when I heard about in late 2016 early 2017... because the loads will never be too much for my spine, but 300-400 pounds on any axle feel pretty light on my frame so I never paid attention to much but the grip.

Yeah it's personal preference for the most part, Eddie Hall seems to use a bit of a pre-load and some of the other guys in the strongman comps use none at all.

I've broken lumbar and cervical vertebra and had a bit of disk damage as well too but I've never had surgery on them. I've had surgery on knees and shoulders but never on the spine. That's part of why I've gravitated to grip training too.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by Raymond

4 minutes ago, Raymond said:

Yeah it's personal preference for the most part, Eddie Hall seems to use a bit of a pre-load and some of the other guys in the strongman comps use none at all.

I've broken lumbar and cervical vertebra and had a bit of disk damage as well too but I've never had surgery on them. I've had surgery on knees and shoulders but never on the spine. That's part of why I've gravitated to grip training too.

Thanks for the reply.

Worked well for me. No back issues really, unless I go over 500 pounds on a lift, and the likelihood I or anyone else will ever  be at that point for a grip lift, outside of an axle deadlift or a napalms Nightmare lift, other than that, not much else.