Inch Dumbbell Lift @ 145lbs and sub 7.5" hands

Daniel Fleming

Lightest person to ever lift the Inch Dumbbell?

At Canadian Nationals I was able to film Yves Gravelle lifting the inch dumbbell

for the SECOND time in the same night (first lift was during the medley)        

PARDON MY LANGUAGE

Edited by Daniel Fleming
  • Like 9

My jaw is STILL on the floor from seeing this feat 2 days ago. 

• Like 3

Well its not a strict lift but more of a vbar pull initially. In any case extremely strong for his bodyweight. There is a good chance Bruce White pulled it in strict style but Bruce weighed 67k.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Well there goes any excuses I ever had.😳 Epic Lift. 

• Like 1

I think elite climbers show us where we should really be at in the lighter weight classes to earn an 'elite' status. Let's be honest most of us suck.

Often it is somewhat difficult to compare really good climbers with grip strength athletes as most of us do heavy lifting (eg axle) that does add muscle mass. Climbers are so to speak competing in a lighter weight class than they would be able to if grip was the limiting factor in the axle lift.

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

Damn I was really excited to race @Nigel Blackburn to be the lightest to lift the inch. Also this makes me think I should just focus on climbing.

I'd love to see you both do it.  I'd love to try as well, but I am far enough away from it and old enough that good money is better placed on you two eventually making it than on me lol.

49 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Often it is somewhat difficult to compare really good climbers with grip strength athletes as most of us do heavy lifting (eg axle) that does add muscle mass. Climbers are so to speak competing in a lighter weight class than they would be able to if grip was the limiting factor in the axle lift.

Idk about other lightweights but nigel and I both have deadlifts well over our axle, grip is the only limiting factor. 

I was referring to people coming straight from the climbing scene and training grip for a while but avoiding heavy lifts (like axle). Also were/are the two of you 'elite' climbers?

I think Mr Boulderbrew is training the axle now and is gaining weight. It almost impossible not to pack on weight if you are starting doing heavy deadlifts. Its one of the greatest mass builders if you do it properly. 

I'm like halfway to elite, tanner isn't,  and yves is. As far as I know nigel doesn't climb at all but he used to compete in powerlifting.

Its pity we never got to see what Bruce White could do on an axle. He would certainly not have been held back by lack of deadlift power. The Western Australian deadlift record at 67.5k is still standing nearly 50 years after Bruce pulled 611 lb.

Again a most impressive effort by Yves but no I would not classify that as exceeding Bruce White's mark. Bruce held it long enough to have someone take a picture at full lockout. I believe he might have lifted the inch on one occasion witnessed by no other than Bill Kazmaier.

• Like 2

Incredible display of strength!

That's ridiculous!  At my current weight and hand size, I would need to lift a 320 lb dumbbell with a 2.53" handle to equal it.  :laugh:bow:bow

From the look of that lift, I don't think he's very far from a level lift either.  I'm guessing Bruce White's wasn't perfect the first time he lifted an Inch DB.  And it probably wasn't after a full contest either.

Just amazing Yves. 

• Like 1

No Bruce trained for 5 years to lift the inch. Having a climbing or armwrestling background is a great foundation for grip competitions.

Bruce never competed in grip. There are hardly any people in Western Australia. in spite of its size, its empty. I live in WA and I have to go overseas or fly 3000 km to Sydney or Brisbane if I want to compete in grip. It does not get much more remote than WA.

22 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Tanner is stronger tho. And is well into the Elite category up in here. And, wait till Tanner gives the weightlifting a good run for a year or two, then cuts back down to his climbing weight. He’ll have more power than any climber.

As far as I know the hardest boulder he has done is V11, which while very strong most would not consider elite. I'm not being negative,  he's still far stronger than I am but he's not as elite in climbing as he is in the grip world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

I'm like halfway to elite, tanner isn't,  and yves is. As far as I know nigel doesn't climb at all but he used to compete in powerlifting.

Correct. Never got into climbing, but I will start implementing some hang board training for something new and fun.

Also, let's keep in mind this was Yves just messing around basically. He had never even touched the inch DB prior to this. His ceiling for gripsport is remarkably high. Yves is showing us what ridiculously strong grips are capable of, much like Tanner.  Both of them are also very humble dudes--great for the sport.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

Also, let's keep in mind this was Yves just messing around basically. He had never even touched the inch DB prior to this. His ceiling for gripsport is remarkably high. Yves is showing us what ridiculously strong grips are capable of, much like Tanner.  Both of them are also very humble dudes--great for the sport.

Yea that's what I'm thinking, this lift is just a hint at the potential. With some training and technique work I'm afraid of what he will do on most implements. Time to cut to 59k.

7 minutes ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

Correct. Never got into climbing, but I will start implementing some hang board training for something new and fun.

Just a small correction. Yves had previously attempted to lift the Inch a handful of times in December and January when he would come over to my place to train grip. The very first time he tried it, he lifted it about 6”.

He will get a full, strict lift soon.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Just a small correction. Yves had previously attempted to lift the Inch a handful of times in December and January when he would come over to my place to train grip. The very first time he tried it, he lifted it about 6”.

He will get a full, strict lift soon.

Oh, gotcha! Thanks for the info.

A strict lift is definitely on its way!

For those of you interested in pushing the boundaries in the lighter weight classes (and to give you goals), Bruce White's best one hand pinch was 51k (most of the time he kept his weight around 148 lb). This was in training as he had no one to compete with.

As stated Yves certainly seems to be on his way to a full leveled inch lift replicating what Bruce did in 1983.

Image result for bruce white deadlift

I think this is a 50mm bar he used for training to lift the inch. The image might well have been taken after 1983 though. Quite a few images available of him.

• Like 3