NAGS Championship 2019 Discussion

Jedd Johnson

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Yea, Eric. It’s like CrossFit for grip. Not a pure, raw strength event. 

Yep. But I do like time hold events. Preferably not much over a minute. 

The events that make you dig in your heels and grit your teeth are events too. Let’s not discriminate. 😆

• Like 4

Just now, EricMilfeld said:

Yep. But I do like time hold events. Preferably not much over a minute. 

The events that make you dig in your heels and grit your teeth are events too. Let’s not discriminate. 😆

Yes I like timed hold also! That’s power and strength static. Not aerobics like the roller. 

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Yes I like timed hold also! That’s power and strength static. Not aerobics like the roller. 

Think wrist roller sprints! Muscular. Not anemic. 😀

4 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I think I would do better with the wrist wrench, but the wrist roller would be much more exciting.  It's a great atmosphere with everyone shouting and cheering on the person killing themselves.

Well if you put it this way at least I can understand its usefulness.  I do hate it though -- couldn't even finish it at Nationals last year.  I do think I would do better on 30 seconds even if a shade heavier, because I have lower endurance than strength (must be the old guy thing).

I'm in for whatever it is, I'll be there and love it, but love it a little more with no wrist roller ...

Hi guys! 

For the grippers I really like the silver bullet . It’s a fast pace event, impressive for the crowd and easy to judge.

If max close is selected, I also agree that one hand close is better.

for the pinch event, I think the Saxon or the Flask if 2 hands or the IronMind pinch block for a one hand event. 

It would be cool to have a 2 hand event if we do the 1 hand flask at King Kong again this year. 

I only tried the euro ones and I found it a bit unpractical and the edges to be sharp for a competition.

I personally don’t mind the wrist roller.  But, I’ve heard a lot of complaints for last year competitors about this event.

I own the wrist wrench from arm Assassin and I find it to be an excellent choice and very challenging on the wrists.

• Like 1

For 2hp I would prefer the Flask over the Euro, I remember a few people suffered cuts to their thumb webbing last year (along with people mentioning it in this thread) and this would be an easy solution.

If 1hp is decided then I think the Flask or Blockbuster Pinch block are both great choices.

I liked the larger handled NN last year so I vote to stick with it. 

I like the SB idea for grippers if we are sticking to one hand. I am not sure what people's feelings are on using a Dynamometer but it would make it very easy to judge, single or both hands.

I thought the wrist roller last year was entertaining, I do agree that it did turn into a bit of a cardio event (especially for us bigger guys), maybe just shortening the time would help?

13 minutes ago, Bearded Ginger said:

For 2hp I would prefer the Flask over the Euro, I remember a few people suffered cuts to their thumb webbing last year (along with people mentioning it in this thread) and this would be an easy solution.

If 1hp is decided then I think the Flask or Blockbuster Pinch block are both great choices.

I liked the larger handled NN last year so I vote to stick with it. 

I like the SB idea for grippers if we are sticking to one hand. I am not sure what people's feelings are on using a Dynamometer but it would make it very easy to judge, single or both hands.

I thought the wrist roller last year was entertaining, I do agree that it did turn into a bit of a cardio event (especially for us bigger guys), maybe just shortening the time would help?

Is this Nick? 

8 hours ago, Bearded Ginger said:

I am not sure what people's feelings are on using a Dynamometer but it would make it very easy to judge, single or both hands.

Oh I would LOVE if it were a dynamometer -- no setting -- but I have a feeling a lot of people like having to set.  I hate setting.  If anyone can bring a good dynamometer, it would be awesome to have it in the medley somehow if not an actual event.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Oh I would LOVE if it were a dynamometer -- no setting -- but I have a feeling a lot of people like having to set.  I hate setting.  If anyone can bring a good dynamometer, it would be awesome to have it in the medley somehow if not an actual event.

Just a heads up Vin, the grippers are not the same as the dynamometer, at least not in my experience. I have access to them at work. I feel I can TNS or NS a lot more on a gripper than I can on the Dyno. I don’t like the feel of it so much. Because it is Just an isometric squeeze as opposed to the grippers handles actually moving and closing. Totally throws me off. 

7 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Just a heads up Vin, the grippers are not the same as the dynamometer, at least not in my experience. I have access to them at work. I feel I can TNS or NS a lot more on a gripper than I can on the Dyno. I don’t like the feel of it so much. Because it is Just an isometric squeeze as opposed to the grippers handles actually moving and closing. Totally throws me off. 

I did a dynamometer just once, and I did pretty well on it.  It was weird, but I liked that it eliminated the set from the equation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I did a dynamometer just once, and I did pretty well on it.  It was weird, but I liked that it eliminated the set from the equation.

Give me silver bullet for a competition over any other gripper event. Easy to judge, don’t have to struggle to see if it’s closed and it’s exciting.  To heck with all the sets, I say!

13 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Give me silver bullet for a competition over any other gripper event. Easy to judge, don’t have to struggle to see if it’s closed and it’s exciting.  To heck with all the sets, I say!

Only did SB once in comp, that recent one at Jedd's -- really enjoyed watching and doing!

I plan to attend this year so here are my picks:

Grippers: 1 hand - Max close at 20 mm.  

Pinch: If we do 2-Hand - Euro or Flask sound good to me but I lean toward the Euro (Pretty much everyone in Grip Sport has 1 or both of these things already). If we do 1-Hand then I say the Flask .

Thick bar: If we do 2-Hand then I say 2-3/8" Axle (A 2-3/8" axle is ridiculously easy to make even without any sophisticated tools).  If we do 1-Hand then 2.5 Crusher/Trilobite/Napalms Nightmare.  

Wrist Event: I hate these, so I really don't care what we do here.  The wrist roller is pretty fun but it will leave you pretty much wasted for any events after it (like the medley).  I would be open to someone bringing an AW table we sort it out the old fashioned way :)  

• Like 2

On 3/4/2019 at 11:14 AM, Tom Flesher said:

All I can think of while people are debating one hand versus both hand grippers:

UZAtUDH.jpg

Im naturally LH including writing, eating, and most other high dexterity movements but all the power is in my RH so yes....my LH is holding a pencil but not good for much else 

• Haha 1

Working on this today, guys.  Thanks.

On 2/28/2019 at 12:40 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

I believe 2011 Nationals at Chris Rice's.  First time Wrist roller was contested I think.  Andrew won the event I believe. 

Not the first time.  I did it at my house the year before.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Not the first time.  I did it at my house the year before.

Oh yea...

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Oh yea...

Know your history, Rindo  Let's go!

• Like 1

In grip, there's an emphasis towards Powerlifting style meets: one rep max with multiple attempts. Personally I like the Strongman style: holds, carries, max reps, medleys, etc. At the Arnold this year we saw did Dinnie Hold for max time, and Inch DB Farmer's Carry for max distance. Even the Husafell stone, though it's full body like the axle deadlift, is usually limited by grip strength.

Sledgehammer stuff is cool too.