NAGS Championship 2019 Discussion

Jedd Johnson

Do they make shot putters, pitchers, QBs, javelin throwers, discus throwers, weight over bar for strongman, badminton peeps, ping pongers, or any other sport that uses a one handed implement; test their off hand?

Who came up with this idea? It literally makes no sense.  If you want to test crush for both hands, use an implement designed to do it like a grip machine.

We don't do crusher or rolling thunder in both hands.  We use an NN to test two hands.

If we do 1 hand pinch, we don't make everyone also use their weak hand.  We do two hand pinch if we want to test both.  

If we do it for grippers, the most technical event we have, then we should do it for 1H thick bar and pinch events.  My hands are pretty much equal on these, so I would benefit greatly.  But even I think it's a dumb idea.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Do they make shot putters, pitchers, QBs, javelin throwers, discus throwers, weight over bar for strongman, badminton peeps, ping pongers, or any other sport that uses a one handed implement; test their off hand?

Who came up with this idea? It literally makes no sense.  If you want to test crush for both hands, use an implement designed to do it like a grip machine.

We don't do crusher or rolling thunder in both hands.  We use an NN to test two hands.

If we do 1 hand pinch, we don't make everyone also use their weak hand.  We do two hand pinch if we want to test both.  

If we do it for grippers, the most technical event we have, then we should do it for 1H thick bar and pinch events.  My hands are pretty much equal on these, so I would benefit greatly.  But even I think it's a dumb idea.

110% in agreement with RindoLee on this one. No diggity, NO DOUBT

Ill probably never get to go..

But I agree with a 1 handed gripper event. Maybe keep it spicy by randomly selecting the type day of. Tns, ccs, choked, SB.

Never used a NN but sounds like a great way to get that thick bar action in.

sledge lever gets my vote too, but make joe use one made of a 3.5” handle attached to a anvil. That way everyone can compete fairly. 

Since I adore the goofy lifts like finnish ball, inch pinch, stub, penny. A brutal medley of that at the end would be awesome. AHHHHAHA *cough* HAHAHA

E9F66F68-2228-4C3C-B76C-9D3B1CF2CB35.gif

30 minutes ago, KapMan said:

But I agree with a 1 handed gripper event. Maybe keep it spicy by randomly selecting the type day of. Tns, ccs, choked, SB.

sledge lever gets my vote too, but make joe use one made of a 3.5” handle attached to a anvil. That way everyone can compete fairly. 

Since I adore the goofy lifts like finnish ball, inch pinch, stub, penny. A brutal medley of that at the end would be awesome. AHHHHAHA *cough* HAHAHA

I actually do better the thicker the handle is, Kapster! 😂

12 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Very good points. Definitely going to steal this argument for future use if you don't mind.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Excellent

• Thanks 1

It's bad enough doing Grippers with one hand - having to do both................................

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

Very good points. Definitely going to steal this argument for future use if you don't mind.

All yours.  But you need to find better source material.  Most people will tell you that I'm an idiot.  :online

4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

All yours.  But you need to find better source material.  Most people will tell you that I'm an idiot.  :online

Easy fix:

"All yours.  But you need to find better source material.  Most people will tell you that I'm an idiot.  :online"

--Albert Einstein, 1939

• Haha 2

On 2/25/2019 at 1:50 AM, Jedd Johnson said:

I've made the offer to run the NAGS Championship this year.

I've asked Brad Martin and he is cool with hosting at Titan Strength in Elmira NY again, the same venue as last year.  I just don't think my gym is big enough.

The date will be 6/8/19.

I definitely want to run Womens, Juniors, and Masters events, in addition to the regular weight classes.

For the events, I'd like to get a little feedback from those planning to compete, regarding the gripper and pinching event.  The support event will be 2" Napalm's Nightmare lifted to 6" again, just like last year. There will also be a Medley and I think the Wrist Roller at the end is a fun and fitting way to end a competition, but I'm open to feedback on the Wrist Event as well.

Regarding Grippers:
What is preferred?  Max close or Silver Bullet Hold?  And if Max Close, do you prefer one hand or both hands?

Regarding Pinch:
Do you prefer 2HP or 1HP? And Do you prefer Euro, Flask, IronMind Pinch Block, or some other pinching implement?

Regarding the Wrist Event:
I'd like feedback on the Wrist Roller and whether anyone would like to see something else?  Pickaxe? Sledge Choke? Sledge Floor Rotation? Others?

Ease of judging is very important to me regarding all the events.

Trying to be diplomatic by getting feedback here.  Please feel free to spread this link around to others who may not come to the gripboard much.

Thank you!

Crush: Max close.  Use both hands pick the better.

Pinch: Euro or Flask. I prefer Euro as it's the standard generally since David Horne started it in 1991 (or some other dates but was very early).

Wrist: Yes I like a wrist strength event. WW replica or sledge hammer. Wrist Roller is okay but the upper body and shoulders plays a role (which is also fine by my standards).

20 hours ago, climber511 said:

I have no dog in this fight but I agree there should be some kind of wrist event.

You coming Chris? To watch?

1 minute ago, Alawadhi said:

Crush: Max close.  Use both hands pick the better.

Pinch: Euro or Flask. I prefer Euro as it's the standard generally since David Horne started it in 1991 (or some other dates but was very early).

Wrist: Yes I like a wrist strength event. WW replica or sledge hammer. Wrist Roller is okay but the upper body and shoulders plays a role (which is also fine by my standards).

You coming Chris? To watch?

Sorry but I will not be coming.  For one thing I don't think I've qualified - but mostly that's a good time of year to climb.  I just wanted to insert my feelings on the need for a wrist event of some kind.

• Like 3

I'm kind of surprised to see that most people are against the wrist roller event.  I've been at a couple contests where the wrist roller was contested, and I thought it was a very fun event.  I was actually hoping it would become a staple at most contests in the future.  I'm not competing, so I should probably keep my mouth shut.  Just wanted to share my shameless enthusiasm for the wrist roller!!!!!!:yikes

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, IROC-Z said:

I'm kind of surprised to see that most people are against the wrist roller event.  I've been at a couple contests where the wrist roller was contested, and I thought it was a very fun event.  I was actually hoping it would become a staple at most contests in the future.  I'm not competing, so I should probably keep my mouth shut.  Just wanted to share my shameless enthusiasm for the wrist roller!!!!!!:yikes

Nobody hates doing it more than i do.  But I have to admit it is an incredibly exciting and fun ending to a contest.  So I would be fine with doing it again for sure.  Plus it is super easy to judge.  Maybe increase the weight a bit and shorten the time to 30 seconds?  I think at the current minute, it becomes almost exclusively an endurance event.  That's fine if that is what you are going for.  Nothing wrong with endurance tests, other than I stink at them.  HAHA.  But I think it would still test your endurance at 30 seconds, while testing your strength more if we added a little weight.

Just my two cents.  And that's from a guy who has come close to a miocardial infarction twice when doing this event at NAGS.  I think I would do better with the wrist wrench, but the wrist roller would be much more exciting.  It's a great atmosphere with everyone shouting and cheering on the person killing themselves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IROC-Z said:

Agreed that it’s a very fun event. Also it’s a nice change of pace from “pick up put down”. Really tests your fortitude, which is a missing element in a lot of grip events. 

• Like 4

What about the mighty mutts style wrist roller event that got progressively heavier, then you can test endurance and strength at the same time and it's pretty entertaining to watch

• Like 1

Fortitude is one word for it.  60 seconds of Hell is another.  I'd still do it again.  🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

I hate the wrist roller, fellas. It’s not a pure grip event by any stretch of the word. It’s like riding a bike with your upper body IMO. I say nay.... but don’t matter what I saaaaaayyyyyyy. 🤡 

5 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Where and when was this?

I believe 2011 Nationals at Chris Rice's.  First time Wrist roller was contested I think.  Andrew won the event I believe. 

Edited by Mike Rinderle

5 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I believe 2011 Nationals at Chris Rice's.  First time Wrist roller was contested I think.  Andrew won the event I believe. 

No idea if that was the first time for the wrist roller.  Wrist Roller is a killer event but all endurance normally.  It can be made strength which is what I would prefer.  Andrew had a chain wrist roller one year which looked pretty cool and got harder as you went. 

I did like the wrist roller setup Andrew had at 2013 Nationals. Heavy enough that some couldn’t even complete the event. But no, I wouldn’t care for one over a marathon distance. 

1 minute ago, EricMilfeld said:

I did like the wrist roller setup Andrew had at 2013 Nationals. Heavy enough that some couldn’t even complete the event. But no, I wouldn’t care for one over a marathon distance. 

Yea, Eric. It’s like CrossFit for grip. Not a pure, raw strength event.