When to buy a CoC#3

devinhoo

I know that closing the CoC 3 is a big milestone, and judging by RGC I'm getting close. A few days ago I closed a filed RB 210 rated #137 from a 20mm set twice in a row, and theoretically a CoC3 is only ~13 rgc away at about #150. The #137 was supposed to be my goal gripper, but now I feel like I'm close enough to a CoC3 that it might be worth it to buy one to have on hand when I'm ready and to attempt every few weeks.

I'm still pretty new to grippers, so I feel like I've been asking a lot of questions lately. I tried to find a more specific answer to this, but I guess it's also kind of a "what should *I* do next" question. I know I'm going to need another gripper between #137 and #150, and that's another whole mess that I'm probably going to need help figuring out as well. Would it be better to buy a filed gripper rated in the #140's, or an unfilled gripper in the early #140's? I know some easy CoC3's are in that range, but they're harder to come by (I saw a CoC3 on Ebay rated #143 that in hindsight I should have bought). I've also seen filed GHP7's that are are around #142.

What's my next step?

3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

That's where I plan to buy the CoC#3, but they currently don't have anything in stock that is in the early #140's (filed or unfiled). I have a CoC3 rated #150 sitting in my cart right now.

Buy the #3 now. I don't think you need any grippers in the 140's if you have a filed gripper at 137#, that gripper should be just as difficult as a non-filed gripper in the low 140's. There's plenty of #3's from 145# and up. It's only if you want one under 145# that they are hard to find.

• Like 1

Yeah just get one now! Start giving it h*ll now and you will get it. I only had an hg250 to bridge my 2 and 3.

I would choke my 3 once in awhile and use my off hand to brace my wrist as I tried closing it. I feel those helped a ton.

Even just using your off hand to brace your wrist without choking give you a bit extra.

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Buy the #3 now. I don't think you need any grippers in the 140's if you have a filed gripper at 137#, that gripper should be just as difficult as a non-filed gripper in the low 140's. There's plenty of #3's from 145# and up. It's only if you want one under 145# that they are hard to find.

1 hour ago, king crusher said:

Yeah just get one now! Start giving it h*ll now and you will get it. I only had an hg250 to bridge my 2 and 3.

I would choke my 3 once in awhile and use my off hand to brace my wrist as I tried closing it. I feel those helped a ton.

Even just using your off hand to brace your wrist without choking give you a bit extra.

Okay, wow. I underestimated my #137 then. Judging by what Cannon has in stock right now, should I grab an easy CoC3 at #148 and a hard CoC3 at #152? That way I have an easy one and a hard one, and I'm making a 5lb jump between them? I could always trade away the #148 for something harder once I've CCS'd the #152 (or certed on a #3). Or would I just be throwing money away at that point?

Edited by devinhoo
#153 no longer available

30 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

Okay, wow. I underestimated my #137 then. Judging by what Cannon has in stock right now, should I grab an easy CoC3 at #148 and a hard CoC3 at #153? That way I have an easy one and a hard one, and I'm making a 5lb jump between them? I could always trade away the #148 for something harder once I've CCS'd the #153 (or certed on a #3). Or would I just be throwing money away at that point?

I'd say, go for it.

Well... should I get an easy CoC3 (148), a hard CoC3 (152), or both? I'm honestly a little surprised by how quickly I've made progress, and I worry that if I buy an easy gripper and a hard gripper I'll surpass the easier gripper and then need an even harder one, because that's what just happened to me when I bought the #137.

Edited by devinhoo
elaborating

I don’t think you need 148, 150 and 152. 

I would just get the 148 (which is closer to “average” than “easy”.)

There are other ways to bridge the gap. I don’t think you need a bunch of #3s. 

Matt

2 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Also, though, if you can find a low 140s #3... buy it. 

Yeah, I regret not buying the #143 I saw a while back.

Is your argument that I should get the easier CoC3 to do reps on it sooner? Because if I'm trying to get an "average" CoC3 I could also buy the #149 one (right now in your inventory there is 148, 149. 150, 151, and 152).

I definitely feel like I'm splitting hairs at this point.

146 #3 coming your way brother...problem solved!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

That is awesome. 

Edited by king crusher
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

Boom. Community delivers. Awesome. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, devinhoo said:

Yeah, I regret not buying the #143 I saw a while back.

Is your argument that I should get the easier CoC3 to do reps on it sooner? Because if I'm trying to get an "average" CoC3 I could also buy the #149 one (right now in your inventory there is 148, 149. 150, 151, and 152).

I definitely feel like I'm splitting hairs at this point.

The comment about low 140s was just because those are hard to find (although GHP7 has been servicing that range pretty well lately.)

Otherwise I feel 148-150-152 are all kind of the same (not even a 5lb spread) and you can get to any of those by putting reps on your 137. 

1 hour ago, Lucasraymond said:

Wow, that solves all my problems and then some. Thanks dude!!

• Like 1

I might be criticized for my opinion, but I really think that you shouldn't care about the RGC on the TSG, but use an adjustable gripper to fill the gaps for heavy singles, holds etc. I currently have a #1.5, #2, #2.5 and a #3 unopened. I will just use my #2 for heavy reps, do singles with my #2.5 till I can get some reps in, and than use the #2.5 for reps and the RB adjustable till I get to above #3 level. I managed to close #2.5 with a wide set from the box and the only tools I had was my #2 which was very hard to close (very dry and dirty spring) and my RB adjustable + I had my #1.5 for a week and a half and did reps on it. You build the strength with the adjustable, and just fine tune it with some reps on the TSG. That's just my opinion. 

On 2/26/2019 at 1:12 PM, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

I might be criticized for my opinion, but I really think that you shouldn't care about the RGC on the TSG, but use an adjustable gripper to fill the gaps for heavy singles, holds etc. I currently have a #1.5, #2, #2.5 and a #3 unopened. I will just use my #2 for heavy reps, do singles with my #2.5 till I can get some reps in, and than use the #2.5 for reps and the RB adjustable till I get to above #3 level. I managed to close #2.5 with a wide set from the box and the only tools I had was my #2 which was very hard to close (very dry and dirty spring) and my RB adjustable + I had my #1.5 for a week and a half and did reps on it. You build the strength with the adjustable, and just fine tune it with some reps on the TSG. That's just my opinion. 

That's a really good idea. I haven't been using an adjustable gripper because I feel like it's harder to know where I'm at. I like having concrete numbers, but that's just me. I hear you about other ways to build strength than just the TSG. They aren't the be-all-end-all.

On 2/26/2019 at 2:17 PM, Hopefully said:

Just attempt your #150 3 until you close it, do deep sets and maybe hold your wrist with the off hand at first, then widen to mms and go up a gripper. By working with that #3 you would easily close one in the 140s, they are not needed for you at this point.

Also when almost closing your #150, do 1 or so attempt first in your workout with a #155 3 or so, and soon you'll smash that #150. 

And so on.

I don't have a lot of experience but in my 14 months of training this method has by far been the most effective. And I have experimented quite a bit. This method isn't recommended here often it seems, probably because it is unconventional and would be an idiotic idea for regular weightlifting. I think working with a gripper you can already close doesnt give you much, you already have the strength to close it, it makes sense moving on to something more difficult in order to progress.

Also when it comes to reps, heavy attempts on my ghp7 when I couldn't close that made me rep my ghp6 very easily even though I could only do a slow single at first. The same is true for my ghp7 now, I can rep that as I attempt my ghp8 in training. The opposite of this has not been true for me. 

Just to share a little from my own experience.

Good luck

That's kind of what I've been doing, and what I plan to keep doing. I've been doing CCS closes Monday/Wednesday, then 20mm sets on Friday with a heavier gripper that I can't CCS yet. I *was* using my HG200 for CCS reps and my CoC2 for 20mm sets, but this week I'm stepping it up to CCS with the CoC2 and 20mm sets with my filed #137. Once I can do that a little more comfortably I'll probably step it up to CCS with my filed #118, and then hopefully start using the #146 CoC3 for 20mm sets. (And correct me if I'm wrong, but 20 mm sets are roughly the same as MMS, right?). Squeezus recommended I work on getting more efficient at setting the grippers without closing them, so I may start doing that as well.

Edited by devinhoo
grammar

It's actually the opposite, with an adjustable you know EXACTLY at what difficulty you are and that's the biggest advantage of it + it's just linear.

Here you can find some very precise charts: 

I was at a level that was a bit past #2.5 level on my adjustable, and destroyed my #2.5 out of the box with a wide set. But the strength has to be transformed with some TSG work to be able to close them. That's why using both is a fool-proof plan.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

That was so easy for you, congratulations!

Thanks dude! First time trying it and I wasn't sure I even closed it. I felt it stop moving and was worried I hadn't closed it all the way, so I kept squeezing it. 

Same thing happened to me when I first tried my 2.5, I couldn't believe I closed it so easily, so I thought I was stuck :D